Thread: Klutina and Tonsina Lake

Default Klutina and Tonsina Lake

Has anyone ice fished either Klutina or Tonsina lakes? I know there is a trail into Klutina lake but not sure about Tonsina lake. F&G website has no information on these lakes. It looks like these would be good lake trout lakes. Any infor would be greatly appreciated.

Yes there are lakers in Tonsina for sure. I had a friend who used to have a guiding outfit on that lake. He told me there are some nice lakers in there. I think he used to take a jet boat up the river. There is no trail that I know of. I am pretty sure you would have to take a snow machine up the river. I would bet that Klutina lake has them too, but I can't say for sure.

I've been on the Klutina in the summer time. It's a very big and very deep lake. In the summer it's that blue half glacial silt, half freshwater water. The one time we were out there, it was super windy, and there was a 1.5-2 foot chop on the lake...no joke. It was actually a little unnerving at times in the little river boat we were in! I was told there were lakers in there, but we didn't connect. Talked to a super nice old native guy and he said they were there, but he didn't think they were there in huge numbers. We did catch a few Dollies in the river portion just down from the lake. There is a ton of native land in that area, so watch out for trespassing, or get a permit. It is a beautiful area, but man I think a guy could spend a million years out there, and not even touch a majority of the lake, especially ice fishing. Who knows, I guess itís worth a try right? I've never been on the Tonsina.

The quest for trophy lake trout will put you in 4 point restraints. Glacier water only makes it tougher.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    The quest for trophy lake trout will put you in 4 point restraints. Glacier water only makes it tougher.

Don't listen to him!!! He lies!!!

I was on the klutina lake last summer in a small boat, 9 miles from the mouth of the river at st annes creek, i was in 10-0 feet of water and i saw bout 30 or more lake trout scouting the shallows, i was mistaken at first and thought they were king salmon but they were the wrong color i relized they were lakers feeding on the fry , they were esitamted between 30 and 60 pounds or more, im not sure how to catch them but they werent hitting on spinners at all,im not sure where they hang out in the winter but if anyone wants to go to klutina and fish for them, get ahold of me and we can take a trip out there and figure it out, so there is big lakers in klutina the question is where and how?

I troll Klutina in the spring and catch lots of Lakers. Never any huge ones though. Most are around 5 lbs with an occasional 10 pounder. Troll with anything that looks like a minnow along the soreline in 10 - 20 ft of water. Spoons and wobblers sometimes work too. Never fished it in the winter.

klutina is great in the summer,,,go as far as u can drive back on the road then shoot to the left facing the lake as u enter in,,theres a freash water stream on the other side,,,huge bows in the summer

I am curious about access up to Klutina. I understand there is a pretty rough road to the lake, is it closed in winter to where you can run a sled up it? Also in the summer is the river passable for a 17' Wooldridge AK w/ a 90hp jet? I would love to spend about 4 days up there chasing kings and lakers! It would make for a fun weekend of predator hunting and laker fishing too!