Thread: Heat Wave Grouse Hunt

Wink Heat Wave Grouse Hunt

It has snowed pretty steadily lately – starting to get deep. That makes for an arduous hike but I couldn’t pass up the warm forecast – it was expected to be in the mid 20s today – and was actually 27 deg when I got to the field.

After an hour or so of walking grasses and trees and wood lines, I finally flushed a beautiful ruffed grouse from overhead in a tree. I only had time for a single shot before he dove behind some thick spruce trees. I missed but I thought I saw where he went so I made the biggest mistake of the day – I went in after him into some very thick woods. I did not find the grouse but I did find myself turned around. It took me nearly 30 minutes to find my way back to where I started. That detour really sapped out my remaining energy – I was ready to sit down -- but I still had a good 3 miles back to the truck. I doffed my hat and gloves and opened up my fleece sweater but I was still sweating like a pig and my legs were on fire. It was only 3 o’clock but the sun was already setting so I had no time to rest – I kept walking.

On my way back, I saw what I thought was the silhouette of a grouse on the top of a snow covered berry patch – he was maybe 75 yards away. As tired as I was, I tried to talk myself out of it – but I could not pass it up. I went in after him and I missed my first couple of shots after the flush– but folded him up with my third. It was a nice fat sharp-tail grouse.

2010 11 21 (14).jpg
    I managed to finish out the last mile as my legs went just about numb. I was very relieved to get my chaps and boots off and just finally sit down in the truck. I think I put in about 8 miles or so – tough workout but a good bird taken. It was a good day.

Hope all are well and looking forward to a nice Thanksgiving.

Regards.

Good for you! Nothing like reaching the goal at the end of a long tough day, especially the thrid shot, that is always a tough one!

Well done. I harvested a couple grouse out of the valley today while I was predator calling. Good fun.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

good job on finally getting one.... but..

please don't take this wrong... i don't understand the rest of your post..

did you say you got lost ?( k turned around?) and it took 30 min to get back to where you seen him fly from?

In 10 inches of new snow?

at least that how it reads... sorry ..

cause i know anyone can follow their foot prints back out to a trail ...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Great Job on the Sharpie....always a nice treat! Did you have the pup with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    good job on finally getting one.... but..

please don't take this wrong... i don't understand the rest of your post..

did you say you got lost ?( k turned around?) and it took 30 min to get back to where you seen him fly from?

In 10 inches of new snow?

at least that how it reads... sorry ..

cause i know anyone can follow their foot prints back out to a trail ...
    Well if he hunts like me, he sees one, flushes it, can't get it, wanders around the general area where it went for 10-15 minutes, decides maybe it flew a bit farther, wanders a little farther and looks around for another 10-15 minutes, sees some new area and hunts it for a minute, then decides to leave but has tracked all over the place and has no idea where he entered. That is how I do it anyway! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    Well if he hunts like me, he sees one, flushes it, can't get it, wanders around the general area where it went for 10-15 minutes, decides maybe it flew a bit farther, wanders a little farther and looks around for another 10-15 minutes, sees some new area and hunts it for a minute, then decides to leave but has tracked all over the place and has no idea where he entered. That is how I do it anyway! LOL
    Me too lol
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    I was thinking the same thing! Actually happened to me yesterday chasing a rabbit around, didn't help the dog is running all over too...

I couldn't have said it better, AK Explorer -- just tracked through the same area for a while before I gave up the hunt and then took a while to find my bearings and a clean set of tracks.

Hoyt - No pup with . . .

regards.