Thread: haul road corridor

Default haul road corridor

hey does anyone out there know if your aloud to run a snowmachine in the corrider? whats the rules on that? can u predator hunt in the corrider off a sled...north of the yukon?
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rawdogrichard View Post
    hey does anyone out there know if your aloud to run a snowmachine in the corrider? whats the rules on that? can u predator hunt in the corrider off a sled...north of the yukon?
    From what I can find, no, you can not use a snowmachine within the corridor except for transporting from outside the corridor to other land outside the corridor, but not to within the corridor. Check out note 1 on page 116 of the hunting regulations for motor vehicle restrictions. (http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...pdfs/gmu25.pdf)

Hope that helps.

If you have a trapping license then yes you can hunt fur bearers inside the corridor with a snowmachine as long as they are in season. Or so I have read and been told by troopers. Good luck getting an educated response on this volatile subject on an internet forum much less this forum.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

No, you cannot use offroad vehicles, including snowmachines, for any use other than exploration, mining or research. You technically aren't even allowed to recreationally use a snowmachine inside the 5 mile corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    No, you cannot use offroad vehicles, including snowmachines, for any use other than exploration, mining or research. You technically aren't even allowed to recreationally use a snowmachine inside the 5 mile corridor.
    trappimg is legal with a snowmachine inside the corridor

Looks like a good ask the Trooper question...

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachallenge@yahoo.com View Post
    trappimg is legal with a snowmachine inside the corridor
    Do you have a source that indicates this? Everything I can find says it is closed to snowmachines. Thanks.

Last time I talked to the troopers, it has been illegal to use snowmachines in the corridor since it was opened, but they were forced to start enforcement it about 5 years ago. I was about to start up a trapline up here, and talked to the trooper in Coldfoot about this. One of the state workers at the Sag River Camp by Slope Mountain was running a trapline with his snowmachine there and was told to finish out the season, but after that he would have to stop.

Just my experience from about 5 years ago.

hello,i would contact the troppers,Ihave been looking but cant find a source for guidance on this maybe pipieline stuff some were,,I do know agroupe of friends of mine that were up pass coldfoot winter before last hunting wolves,killed 4,,,2 were charge with using a snowmobile to take big game as they had hunting licences,,the other 2 were not because they had trapping licences,they were together in 1 group,

the trail to chandlar lake is open to snowmobile travel,closed to hunting if you start in the corridor,,or transport hunting gear by snowmobile,this was the trooper in coldfoot who wrote the tickets in the post about the wolf hunting,,all 4 went to court charges were dropped as this is a grey area(fish and games words)

I talked to one of the USFWS enforcement agents about this just a few days ago and she said absolutely not and they will issue tickets for snowmachine travel for trapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Yep I screwed up this morning and should have looked at my notes prior to posting. Vehicle travel was still illegal but you could use a firearm for trapping inside the corridor the last time I looked into it. Who knows what that reg is now, guess it all depends on who you ask and where you read it.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.