Thread: I hope this is only the beginning

Default I hope this is only the beginning

Went out this morning to check the trap line and also to improve current sites and set more traps. We started down the trail and checked a few boxes checked a leg hold set and then came upon about our 4th box. There she was hanging from the tree in the 110. Lord only knows how she got herself all the way in the 110 maybe you can see in the pics. The darn thing was still alive so I took a stupid shot right handed (Im a lefty shooter) and missed. So I switched hands aimed for the head the darn thing moved i hit it in the body. It was suffering so my buddy went about a foot away as she got really pissed and hissed and screamed and gave her a quick ending. Either way it was an exciting day my first trapped animal and it was a nice looking marten. Now is to hoping that this will be the first of many and just hoping that the animals we get will get bigger.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	42101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	42102

Beautiful lookin' Marten!! Wish I was as lucky as you...I know how difficult them 5 yard shots can be. Best of luck to you and your buddy..

Quote Originally Posted by B&C 04 View Post
    Beautiful lookin' Marten!! Wish I was as lucky as you...I know how difficult them 5 yard shots can be. Best of luck to you and your buddy..
    Ya I was trying to challenge myself shooting with the other hand or I was excited like boy on Christmas morning other than that the job got done.

I remember the first mink I caught, big male in a leg hold. He was hissing and ****ed off. We couldn't shoot them where I was then so had to look for a really long club. Nothing like the first catch, good for you!

Congrats on your first catch. Beautiful marten! Hope you get some more.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Congrats. Sounds like a real thrill.

nice marten next time find a thick stick and give him a wack on the head it is fast and efficient and best of all no fur damage

Looks great thanks for sharing.

Nice marten!!! Its always exciting to walk up on something in your trap. I do agree with Bsj425 though. Just give em a good whack on the head with a heavty stick and that usually does the trick. Great job though!!

Nice! I'm jealous found out Sun the area I had been scouting of course was already being worked so I'm S.O.L. Both my sleds are out of commision and all have is my quad, yuck. Keep it up and good luck
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Doogie,

Congrats, that's a real pretty marten. Just an fyi on what others said on killing them, what I've always done is rap them on the nose with the handle of the axe, or a stick. That momentarily knocks them out. Then I clamp around their neck with one hand so they can't bite me and use the other to squeeze their heart until they die. It isn't pretty, or fun...but it gets the job done without the bullet hole.

Way back when I tried just rapping them on the noggin...after you have one come to though in your sled afterwards you don't do that again <grin>. And bonking them real hard on the head often makes a mess when skinning.

Continued good luck out there,

Good job on the marten. BSJ is correct on the damage free dispatch. Better yet switch to 120s and they will be DOA....

Also, make sure that the trigger jaw (as opposed to the dog jaw) is the one facing out. In other words, dont let the marten get so far into the trap before it fires. Much better chance for a neck catch and quick kill.

From the pic, you can see where the jaw was just above the hips. That's why 120's are nice, even with a bad catch, they will kill quickly...

Not trying to be a nitpicker, just want to see you get the most value from "natures perfect furbearer"

I started laughing after reading bushrat's reply. When I was about 15 I would only set for marten. I used to walk my trapline and carry a gunnysack for the critters. Well I caught one and wacked him and threw it in the gunny sack and walked back. When I got to the house the gunny sack was set by the door while I got the skinning stuff ready. (I only had leg holds back then). When I went to retrieve the gunny sack I picked it up and the marten went crazy. Not wanting it to get away I held on to the gunny sack but at 15 this was scaring me to death and I was trying to find a way to kill it. Out of fear I started beating it against the house until it quit moving and then I hit it more once I got it out of the sack. After that I always make sure they are dead. But I do like bushrats idea!! Just make sure they are dead :-) To this day it baffles me why it just sat there, if it came to earlier I would think it would of got away. At the same time I dont think it would just come to and go crazy like that. I dont know what happened but I do know I was scared!!!

Bushrats post made me smile as well I bonked on lightly when still a bit of a novice and picked it up and started pulling the heart. It is knocked out no need to hold the head this will be over in a quick second. It was a warm day and had my gloves off next thing I knew the marten had me by its eye tooth through the meat between my left thumb and index finger I still carry a small scar from that one
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

thats awsom! i have yet to catch anything besides rabbits in snares.
    hum, when im older...

Thanks for all the advice I know I'll need it. Next time I'll give him a whack on the head with a Billy club. I really don't want the darn thing to wake up on me but hopefully many more to come.

What bushrat said. Squeeze the heart. Whacks on the head make a mess and ruin the skull. You can get a decent idea of the animals age from the skull.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!