Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Educational moose harvest

Default Educational moose harvest

Interested in experiences any of you have had with the process of utilizing these permits.

didn't know they existed, but think it did open a can of worms...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Are you talking about allowing a youngster to fill a harvest tag for you? Please elaborate a little more as to what you are refering to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Are you talking about allowing a youngster to fill a harvest tag for you? Please elaborate a little more as to what you are refering to.
    No, permits issued aside from normal harvest for educational purposes. Again, those who have experience with these.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    No, permits issued aside from normal harvest for educational purposes. Again, those who have experience with these.
    i think what every one is saying.... is that we have no idea what your talking about... please explain about the permit for eductional purpose... I also have never heard of such a thing
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i think what every one is saying.... is that we have no idea what your talking about... please explain about the permit for eductional purpose... I also have never heard of such a thing
    Exactly, that's why the question is aked the way it is. If you have experience I would like to hear about it. I know it occurs, or at least did this weekend and I too have never heard of it before, nor does there seem to be anything supporting such an endeavor in the regulations on the F&G website. I haven't searched the statutes or AACs yet and frankly, out of pure laziness, don't want to. Just want to know how it is utilized and the process from some one who has done it. I'll find out one way or another, just thought maybe someone out there would actually know.

Exactly, that's why the question is aked the way it is. If you have experience I would like to hear about it. I know it occurs, or at least did this weekend and I too have never heard of it before, nor does there seem to be anything supporting such an endeavor in the regulations on the F&G website. I haven't searched the statutes or AACs yet and frankly, out of pure laziness, don't want to. Just want to know how it is utilized and the process from some one who has done it. I'll find out one way or another, just thought maybe someone out there would actually know.
    I don't have any details, but I have heard of something similar in the past. It was done by a Fish and Wildlife official who essentially was conducting a field class with a youth group. I think the meat was donated to a charity when all was completed.

I'm curious about what you are saying happened this weekend. Any more information you could provide on that?

I would recommend giving a quick call to ADF&G who could probably let you know what is out there on that subject.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I don't have any details, but I have heard of something similar in the past. It was done by a Fish and Wildlife official who essentially was conducting a field class with a youth group. I think the meat was donated to a charity when all was completed.

I'm curious about what you are saying happened this weekend. Any more information you could provide on that?

I would recommend giving a quick call to ADF&G who could probably let you know what is out there on that subject.
    Thanks for the reply, helps that someone has actually heard of these before. The reason I won't give details is the because of the people involved, I don't want to start some drama over something. Main thing is that it is above board. When I found a fresh gutpile off the road and had seen folks in the area earlier, I called the F&W Troopers and was told it was an "educational permit." Wasn't about to question them or the folks involved but since I had never heard of it, wanted to see if anyone else had.

Thanks for the reply, helps that someone has actually heard of these before. The reason I won't give details is the because of the people involved, I don't want to start some drama over something. Main thing is that it is above board. When I found a fresh gutpile off the road and had seen folks in the area earlier, I called the F&W Troopers and was told it was an "educational permit." Wasn't about to question them or the folks involved but since I had never heard of it, wanted to see if anyone else had.
    Sounds like the Kenatsies are expanding their Culture, like they did with the fish. Had to have some one else show them how to do it in that situation. Was the gutpile on the Road Right of Way?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Sounds like the Kenatsies are expanding their Culture, like they did with the fish. Had to have some one else show them how to do it in that situation. Was the gutpile on the Road Right of Way?
    Your assumption couldn't be further from the truth.

Your assumption couldn't be further from the truth.
    It was speculation, based on previous Educational Permits. If the Permits have to expanded to other cultures, it would not suprise me. Please don't surpise us with the "truth". Enough of the guessing, tapdancing and slight of finger tapping on the keyboard.....spill the beans if you want to raise the ire, above your initial provoking post.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    It was speculation, based on previous Educational Permits. If the Permits have to expanded to other cultures, it would not suprise me. Please don't surpise us with the "truth". Enough of the guessing, tapdancing and slight of finger tapping on the keyboard.....spill the beans if you want to raise the ire, above your initial provoking post.
    So evidently you have previous experience with these permits and would rather just instigate your own drama than share those experiences. I have no desire to raise any ire, just asking a simple question.

I know F&G killed a caribou to be used when giving the “How to become an outdoor Woman” class a few years ago. The moose that was used in how to “Field dress a moose.” Would also qualify as a educational moose.

Is that what you’re asking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I know F&G killed a caribou to be used when giving the “How to become an outdoor Woman” class a few years ago. The moose that was used in how to “Field dress a moose.” Would also qualify as a educational moose.

Is that what you’re asking about?
    Again thanks for a reply to the question. It sounds like this must have been a similar thing. Like I said, I called when I found the gutpile and didn't want to question the trooper about it but he assured me it was legal. Mostly I was just surprised as this was the first I had ever heard of it in my 40 years here and wanted to know if it was "out there" and I somehow missed it. Seems I did and Just goes to show, we **** sure don't know everything.

Maybe it not educational but for a potluck, native can killed a moose for the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Maybe it not educational but for a potluck, native can killed a moose for the party.
    No... If it was a potlatch moose it never would have been reported so F&G wouldn't know anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    No... If it was a potlatch moose it never would have been reported so F&G wouldn't know anything about it.

i think natives can kill one for their wedding.
    Semper Fi!

The permit is an educational permit, with 4-H we have partnered with F&G and Safari Club to do the hunts. We usually take disadvantaged Kids out with kids that have been there and done it. It is very restrictive in the moose that you can take.
    The meat is cut and wraped by the kids and then divided up among them.

Isn't it illegal to leave a gut pile in view of a road, or something to that effect? Hopefully when you say "off the road" you don't mean right on the side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Isn't it illegal to leave a gut pile in view of a road, or something to that effect? Hopefully when you say "off the road" you don't mean right on the side of the road.

Wasn't in view of the raod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast