Thread: Nosler Brass

Default Nosler Brass

Anyone using Nosler brass? If yes, what do you think of it?
    I pretty much stick to Winchester myself for regular rifle calibers, and some Lapua. I have tried about all brands of brass except Nosler and Hornady.

I have noticed they are offering a much wider caliber selection:
    NOSLER 204 RUGER (50/BOX)

NOSLER 223 REMINGTON (50/BOX)

NOSLER 22-250 REMINGTON (50/BOX)

NOSLER 243 WINCHESTER (50/BOX)

NOSLER 25-06 REMINGTON (50/BOX)

NOSLER 260 REMINGTON (50/BOX)

NOSLER 264 WIN MAG (50/BOX)

NOSLER 6.5-.284 NORMA (50/BOX)

NOSLER 6.5X55 SWEDISH MAUSER (50/BOX)

NOSLER 270 WINCHESTER (50/BOX)

NOSLER 280 REMINGTON (50/BOX)

NOSLER 280 ACKLEY IMPROVED (50/BOX)

NOSLER 7MM REM MAG (50/BOX)

NOSLER 7MM-08 REM MAG (50/BOX)

NOSLER 7MM SHOOTING TIMES WESTERNER (25)

NOSLER 308 WINCHESTER (50/BOX)

NOSLER 30-06 SPRINGFILED (50/BOX)

NOSLER 300 REM SAUM (50/BOX)

NOSLER 300 H&H (25/BOX)

NOSLER 300 WIN MAG (50/BOX)

NOSLER 300 WIN SHORT MAG (25/BOX)

NOSLER 300 REM ULTRA MAG (50/BOX)

NOSLER 300 WEATHERBY MAG (50/BOX)

NOSLER 338 WIN MAG (50)

NOSLER 375 H&H (25)

The pricing puts them in the mix with Lapua, Norma, and Hornady so wondering how they compare to those two.

I bought a batch for my .204 and it worked out well. I tried another batch for my 300RUM and had issues with the necks of a few. Nosler made it right and sent replacements plus a few for good luck. They worked well in load development in the RUM but the pockets seem to have less tension than typical brass. The primers seat with very little resistance even on the first load.

Hornady Match brass works good in my 308. It's virtually identical in appearance and weight to regular Winchester brass. I've good life out of the Hornady 375 Ruger brass. I recently worked up a .308 load with Lapua that is as accurate as the Hornady stuff with equal velocity using .4gr less charge. The quality of Lapua brass is in a class above Nosler, Hornady, Winchester. You will also pay more for it.

I choose Nosler for the 300RUM because the only other brass available at that time was Remington.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...8-Nosler-Brass

Marshall, thank you for the info. I think I will stick with Winchester for bread and butter applications and Lapua for those "special" occasions! If I ever do a 280AI (some day I want to build one) I will buy some just to have headstamped brass and compare to my own fire formed. Great to hear Nosler stepped and made it right for you, that is reassuring. We all make errors, but we don't all handle them the same.

Lapua is the BEST brass I have ever used bar none. You mentioned primers seating with very little resistance on the first load with the Nosler brass.... I notice that with Lapua brass also. It still works fine, just not as much resistance. I wonder if that is due to better tolerances, ie more circular cut than say Win or Rem brass?

Again thanks for the "real world" info.

I am looking into Nosler Brass instead of Remington for consistency and less case prep. The cost is not that much more, especially after a few reloadings. If I was really worried about the price, I would not be shooting the RUM. All the Rem brass I get is beat up pretty bad and not consistent weights or lengths. Nosler brass is hard to get right now in 300 RUM, but I can wait a while, so it is on back order. I am looking forward to a new reload project with my new RUM. I like the Nosler products and plan to shoot etips out of them if my new barrel will let me. I would go with another type of brass, say winchester, if their brass was not so inconsistent as the Remington stuff, but more available than the Nosler stuff. As it is, Remington and Nosler are about it for RUM brass, so Nosler it is.

I have had very good results with nosler custom brass for my .308. It is very consistant, required no prep out of the box, and some is now on the 3rd reload, and still doing fine. With Nosler, and Lapua you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    I have had very good results with nosler custom brass for my .308. It is very consistant, required no prep out of the box, and some is now on the 3rd reload, and still doing fine. With Nosler, and Lapua you get what you pay for.
    Thanks sthrcave. That is good to know, that it is consistent and required no prep out of the box. Like I said previous, I use Winchester for the majority due to cost and reliability, but if I were to put a value on my time I spend on the Winchester to prep it as close to Lapua right out of the box (which I do) I would be money ahead to buy only Lapua. Nosler is cheaper than Lapua, so sounds like I need to try some.

Federal also makes 300 RUM brass. The last time I purchased some, the smallest lot size I could get was 250 primed cases at a time. Federal and Remington are the only people who make 300 RUM brass as far as I know. As I understand it after talking to Nosler - they do not make their own brass themselves but buy it from other manufactures but with their head stamp. I do not know if then Nosler prep's their brass or specify it to a certain standard from their manufacturer. Maybe someone else is privy to that info?
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Nosler brass is made by Norma

Hornady brass is made by Winchester

I have been slowly buying the Nosler 2nds brass from Shooters Pro Shop. The only stuff I have loaded is for my 338WM and it seems to be really nice stuff and the same price as Winchester when bought as 2nds. Scotty
    Semper Fi