Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite caliber for Preditor Hunting?

Default What is your favorite caliber for Preditor Hunting?

What is your favorite caliber for Preditor Hunting? I am in the market for a new gun. I have been looking at 22-250 and 223. I am leaning toward 223 just be cause there are so many choices. Let me know what you think!

I prefer 22-250 for coyotes and bigger and something along the lines of 22 Hornet for foxes.

The 223 is pretty good all around but I really like the 22-250 for bigger critters and 22mag or 17HMR for stirctly fox.

Ever heard of anybody using an SKS? A good friend of mine used to wolf hunt with an SKS on his snowmachine. He said it was a good caliber for wolves. Just wondering if anybody uses them for coyotes, fox, and lynx. I am thinking about using mine.

.22-250 in a bolt gun. Has a farther reach and shoots flatter.
    If you want an AR, get it in .223.

the 223 is my favorite all around predator gun. it will do the job on just about all the critters.(mabey a little lite for wolves but it will do) i shoot a fmj round for minimal pelt damage. also, ammo for the 223 is redily available and its CHEAP!

Default .22-250

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    .22-250 in a bolt gun. Has a farther reach and shoots flatter...
    I agree. My dad's got one. Shoots flat and fast. That rifle has knocked many coyotes flat.

i personally use a 22.250 it has longer range & is faster,hits harder than a .223, in windy situations i switch to 1 of my.25's either 25.06 or .257w-mag ammo is more expensive for the .250 & the .25's but if your a handloader as i am the increased accuracy is worth the $$, the .223 will do a fine job just practice a lot ammo is cheap & readily available anywhere, it's a bit lite for wolves at extended ranges but choose your shots carefully & you should get along fine plus it's available in many platforms from single shot to AR's,

So would an SKS with a 7.62x39 be too much for predator hunting? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    So would an SKS with a 7.62x39 be too much for predator hunting? What do you think?

I would have to think so. It is like shooting them with a 308. I would guess a FMJ would be better than nothing but I would consider that to much gun for such small critters.

plus some of these predators are small and the SKS is not know for pin poit accuracy.

As monthunter said, my main concern with the SKS would be accuracy. Unless you have alot of luck on your side, anything beyond 100 yards with an SKS will be poke and hope. Growing up in Montana, my cartridge of choice for calling was the 22-250. Up here I opted to go with a 25-06 instead. The jury is still out on whether or not it's going to be too much gun for fox and such, but I'm hoping that with handloads of Sierra GameKings it won't be too bad.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Quote Originally Posted by MToutdoorsman View Post
    As monthunter said, my main concern with the SKS would be accuracy. Unless you have alot of luck on your side, anything beyond 100 yards with an SKS will be poke and hope. Growing up in Montana, my cartridge of choice for calling was the 22-250. Up here I opted to go with a 25-06 instead. The jury is still out on whether or not it's going to be too much gun for fox and such, but I'm hoping that with handloads of Sierra GameKings it won't be too bad.
    I grew up in Montana as well. The 22-250 with Speer 52 grain hp's have put a lot oh yotes and fox down. I still have that gun but use a 223 for now. I use the 223 due to less powder usage and I don't need the range of the 22-250 at this time. If I find a good place to call and need the range then my 22-250 will get dusted off out of the safe.

What part o mt you from?

I like a cheap one. Especially in the smaller calibers. Its gonna be a gun you dont shoot very often at least in predator hunting up here. And no other use for it. Im currently looking at getting a stevens in 25/06. And handloading the barnes 90 grain solids. Under 300 bucks, ought to shoot good, stretch it into a deer/caribou gun and wont feel too hurt seeing it sit in the closet most of the year, and not getting to shoot it at predators. I know Im a little pessimistic about the whole predator hunting thing but Ive logged a ton of hours/miles to no avail.

I think he used the sks for short range rapid shooting. more for killing than hunting. the ones i shot were pretty inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I like a cheap one. Especially in the smaller calibers. Its gonna be a gun you dont shoot very often at least in predator hunting up here. And no other use for it. Im currently looking at getting a stevens in 25/06. And handloading the barnes 90 grain solids. Under 300 bucks, ought to shoot good, stretch it into a deer/caribou gun and wont feel too hurt seeing it sit in the closet most of the year, and not getting to shoot it at predators. I know Im a little pessimistic about the whole predator hunting thing but Ive logged a ton of hours/miles to no avail.
    I have a 22-250 and it was a great shooter but it had a bull barrel and was HEAVY. Plus I wanted to be able to have the rifle double as a good caribou gun for my niece and nephew. So I sold the 22-250 and picked up a 243. Being as you can even factory buy ammo down to 58 grn (hornady v-max) it is pretty versitle setup. I think it is better suited for predeators than the 25-06 and still plenty of punch when loaded with 100 grn for sheep, caribou, black bear, and even moose. Picked up a Marlin XS7 in .243 for around $300. So far very happy with how it shot at the range, haven't taken it afield yet, but can already tell it will be more of a joy to carry than the 9.5 pound 22-250 I had.

Something worth looking into atleast if you are wanting to go the cheap route.

oh yeah, the 243. Good suggestion. Kinda forgot about that round. Ill do some research on that marlin too. I heard ALOT of complaints on the trigger on the stevens.

Really, there is a plethora of suitable rounds to cover the spectrum. Just kinda depends on what you're expecting or hoping to call in. If I wasn't expecting many wolves or coyotes, I'd probably go with a .22 mag, .222, or .223. For coyotes and wolves, .222 would be a bit light and I'd probably still prefer the .22-250 over the .223. I carry my .25-06 because it has a little more reach than the .22 caliber centerfires. Also, I'm hoping that the 95 grain GameKings will have less tendency to mutilate a fox or lynx if I get that lucky. .243 or 220 Swift are also both decent predator rounds. Handloading opens up alot more options in bullet selection too that makes certain calibers a better choice than what they would be with just factory loads.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

I shoot a Remington in .243 with Honady v-max 58g, good for anything you might call up.

How about a 12 gauge instead of an SKS? I saw some video footage of some coyote hunters using a 10 gauge with buck shot. Seemed to work okay for them. Of course you're effective range is only about 40-50 yds. I wish I had a 223, 243, or 22-250, but right now the only weapons I have to use are an SKS or 12 gauge. I also have a 22, a 375, a 30-06, and an M-1. But I thought those would be poor choices for predator hunting. What would you use if you were in my shoes?

I would us the .22 if it was accurate. I would try for closeish range head shots, and would not shoot at anything much bigger than a fox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast