Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best electronic caller to buy on a budget

Default What is the best electronic caller to buy on a budget

Stopped in the store yesterday to take a look at one of those foxpros I have been hearing so much about. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the price tag. $600.00!!! Now I have no doubt they are worth the cost, but my wife would be screaming bloody murder if I spent $600.00 on a predator call. Especially with Christmas looming around the corner, and property taxes, and heating oil, and all the other stuff a guy has got to pay for. What is a good caller to buy on a budget? I'm thinking something in the neighborhood of $50-$200. Thanks for your recommendations.

That kid keeps on posting animals he called in with his $200 foxpro spitfire. If results are a sign of a good ecaller then his seems to be doing pretty darn good!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...373#post838373

I also use a fox pro spitfire. its a great but if i had one complaint it would be the lack of volume. If you order from allpredatorcalls.com you can pick your sounds. Its a great value on a call that you can put different sounds on if you want to. Hillbilly

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    I also use a fox pro spitfire. its a great but if i had one complaint it would be the lack of volume.
    It has an auxillary speaker jack, right? It might be a pain to carry if you're packing in very far, but if calling off of a machine or near your vehicle, one could increase the volume with another speaker. I don't have one, but I'm thinking pretty hard about picking up a spitfire.

Brian Ive heard good and bad about the external speaker. Read several reveiws saying they didnt get any more volume out of it. The caller definatly works just the way it is but I usually end up calling on the 4-5 volume range. It has without a doubt made a difference in how many animals ive called in. Hillbilly

Thanks for the recommendations guys. How about some other companies like primos or johnny stewart? I remember when I was a kid johnny stewarts were popular callers. Is foxpro top of the line now? Here is a link to some calls that are in my price range. Anybody used any of these brands before?
    http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...&WTz_stype=GNU

I can't find any reviews on the flextone but the spitfire seems to have quite a few, even on the Cabelas it is rated very high. The only complaint seems to be volume yet most of those who say it could be louder are killing animals over it so that doesn't seem to be too big a problem. The primos has quite a few 1 star reports about it just flat out not working. Heck even one of the two low spitfire reports state that it is still better than the Primos.

Good suggestions. Thanks. I might just have to break down and get the spitfire. Anybody know where they are sold locally. I didn't see any of the spitfires at Sportman's on Saturday. I could order from Cabela's, but then you got shipping costs.

Cabela's has free shipping through the end of November, on orders over $99.
    Last edited by markopolo50; 11-21-2010 at 18:42. Reason: added $99

I would take a look at the kids posts. He lists a place that you can order it and select your own calls for free. You get 24 so it would be worthwhile to pick them instead of wasting time with opossum eating corn, or duckbill platypus in rut...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...506#post838506

I think the Spitfire is plenty loud. Bumming around with Joefish00000 was the first time I'd used a Spitfire, and I thought max-volume was too loud for most of our calling set ups. There's a time when you need the volume (e.g. wind) but for the most part I think people tend to call too loud. Softer is often better - dogs and cats hear very, very well.

If you really felt you needed more volume than you were getting out of the spitfire, you could wail on a single-reed hand call for a minute or two every once in a while.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

If you are worried about volume get one of the external Foxpro TOA 15w speakers. You can also just get the plain TOA speaker. The exact same thing as the FP but without the FP sticker. The volume will knock your socks off!

I've used a SpitFire and it's a great little caller. If you add that external TOA speaker, it's loud enough for anything you'll need up here in Alaska. The remote and size of the caller are great too, since you can stick it inside a large cargo pocket.

I just got a spitfire and I plugged my johnny stewart external horn into it it gives you another direction for the sound to come from its plenty loud enough I plan to try iy out this weekend but i cant imagine it not being loud enough it wails on 5.

I built one of the el-chepo calls last year. It works ok but you are limited to having the horn fairly near by or staging it then walking away. It is enough work hiking around and trying to find decent sets that I want the versatility of a remote caller so will be upgrading to a Foxpro. The way I see it, building the el-chepo just wasted 100 bucks that could have been put toward the spitfire.

I was in the same boat years ago LuJon. I built a nice e-caller with the Azden wireless mic and could get about 150 reliable yards out of the thing. It still didn't have the volume or clarity of a FoxPro though. That, and my collection of sounds at the time was very pathetic. For $199, the SpitFire would've been my purchase back in those days if it existed.

Foxpro shipped my firestorm out last week. Standing my the mailbox like a kid at christmas.

I have half a dozen mouth calls at least and tryed a el cheepo e caller at one point.. I finaly bit to bullet for say and got the FoxPro FX 3..

Yes I know what you are talking about how the wife could blow up at the cost of 400.. so I did the unthinkable and dug in to my fun money out of the safe and had one delivered to a buddys house LOL....

I love it and it is worth every cent.

you can get referb ones from the foxpro www site.. people also sell there old ones to get new ones off of there forum on there site as well. just food for thaught.

MThunter

i would definitely recomend the fxpro spitfire as the"most bang for your buck" under 200 bucks.
    i honstly think that the spitfire has all the volume you raelly need for ak predator hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    i would definitely recomend the fxpro spitfire as the"most bang for your buck" under 200 bucks.
    i honstly think that the spitfire has all the volume you raelly need for ak predator hunting.
    That avatar sure don't look like he is lying either!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast