Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08 vs .270

Default 7mm-08 vs .270

Wondering what gun kicks harder 7mm-08 or a .270, thinking about what gun to get my wife.

I would expect them to be pretty similar with the 7-08 offering perhaps a bit more versatility in loads for moose. My short little wife has no problem at all with a 308 in the Ruger "compact" M77 mark II . Most of my buddies wives shoot either 308 or other variants of the cartridge (243, 7-08). Despite all of the talk here on the forum about premium boolets and supermagnumizing everything the little cheap green and yellow boxes of 308 available everywhere do a pretty decent job of knocking over most anything you would want to shoot with them...

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Wondering what gun kicks harder 7mm-08 or a .270, thinking about what gun to get my wife.
    I've never owned the 7mm-08 Rem or the 270 Win. but I did own a 260 Remington and I was quite impressed with it. I'm a big fan of the 308 family of cartridges and all of them would make a fine rifle for you wife.

matnaggewinu

Either gun will be a nice gun for your wife. My first rifle was a 7mm 08. It was a great gun for a kid or an adult. I now shoot a .280 and a 338. THe 280 doesn't kick much either. Both guns will work great. Maybe consider a 280 instead of a 270. More diveristy in bullets you can shoot.

In an attempt to answer the question asked I punched in the data to a recoil calculator. The 270 with it's larger charge generates more recoil than the 7mm-08 with both rifles shooting a 140gr bullet. The 270 has more velocity and a flatter trajectory.

Either rifle would be fine for your wife. My Brothers 8 year old son shoots a Vangaurd youth 7mm-08 and his 15 year old daughter shoots a Weatherby chambered in 270Win. Both kids handle them pretty good off hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Maybe consider a 280 instead of a 270. More diveristy in bullets you can shoot.
    I've never understood that argument from 7mm shooters. How exactly is there more diversity of bullets for a 7mm? .277 projectiles are available from 80 grs. to 160 grs. of every make and model conceivable. 7mm are available from 100 grs. to 180 grs. with no more choices of type than in .277. Both have an 80 gr. range of bullets. Both have all the major players available in the respective caliber.

Just how much diversity do you need? No animal will ever know the difference between either of the two. I'm not knocking 7mm's, but I just don't get how they can claim superiority. If anything I would think the more common ammo availability of the .270 would give it the nod, but again I'd not say there is a nickels difference between them.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    If fired from rifles of equal weight the 270 Winchester will produce more recoil. Probably on the order 10-20%. The 270 Winchester is a fairly mild recoiling rifle and I've met very few who cannot handle its recoil if the gun fits them reasonably well. In reality the 7mm-08 often weighs a bit less than a similar 270 (shorter action/shorter stock/lighter barrel) so the real world recoil is going to be very similar. Both are excellent cartridges for most hunting in NA.

The field performance between the two cartridges is also going to be very similar at all practical ranges. If you handload the 7mm-08 is a great cartridge, but if you are going to use factory ammo then I'd prefer the 270 by at least a million to one. YMMV.
    Esse quam videri

My daughter had no problem shooting my 270 when she was 12 years old. I can't imagine any adult having a problem with it.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

The 270 will kick slightly more in the same weight rifle due to the fact that you are pushing a taller and heavier column of powder. The 270 being a 30-06 length case and the 7mm-08 being a 308 case.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

No wrong anwswers here! I have an old tang safety 77 in 270 and a 77 Hawkeye in 7mm-08 and the 270 bites harder. I have been shooting the 270 since 1976 or 7 and the 7mm-08 only a short while and if I could keep only one it would be the little 7. It has some advantages over the 270(sorry Jack O). It is shorter, slightly lighter and kicks less yet I can't think of a thing in the field that leaves it short of the 270 in performance.

If it were my wife I would go with the 7-08 and not look back!

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I've never understood that argument from 7mm shooters. How exactly is there more diversity of bullets for a 7mm? .277 projectiles are available from 80 grs. to 160 grs. of every make and model conceivable. 7mm are available from 100 grs. to 180 grs. with no more choices of type than in .277. Both have an 80 gr. range of bullets. Both have all the major players available in the respective caliber.

Just how much diversity do you need? No animal will ever know the difference between either of the two. I'm not knocking 7mm's, but I just don't get how they can claim superiority. If anything I would think the more common ammo availability of the .270 would give it the nod, but again I'd not say there is a nickels difference between them.

Taking a look at BC's it becomes even more of a toss up between the two. I chose to compare bullets by compairing BC's within the type and manufacture since it would determine drop and drift if both were shot at the same velocity. However, this could be considered misleading because the 270 is faster in all production velocities at the same weight and that of course would change the drop and drift too.

With Accubonds the .277 is slicker than the .284 in the 140gr weight. With Partitions the .284 wins in 140gr but the .277 is slicker in 150gr. With TSX's the .277 is slicker in 140gr. In all cases the differences were so small that it would require a 400 yard shot to show a difference greater than 1/4" in trajectory if shot at the same velocity with a 100 yard zero.

Conclusion, the 270Win is still faster in all equal weights and that of course will cause more recoil than the 7mm-08. On the other hand, 1Cor15:19 is right by bringing up rifle weights. The 270 is generally chambered in rifles with longer barrels and higher weights. The extra weight will offset recoil and that goes to the OP's question.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I've never understood that argument from 7mm shooters. How exactly is there more diversity of bullets for a 7mm?
    After a quick look at various manufacturer's websites, I came up with a quick count:
    Hornady
    .277 offerings - 14
    .284 offerings - 19

Sierra
    .277's - 9
    .284's - 12

Speer
    .277's - 10
    .284's - 16

Barnes
    .277's - 9
    .284's - 12

Berger
    .277's - 3
    .284's - 6

Nolser was about even with their offerings, between the two calibers, but there was one more 7mm E-Tip than .277.

There are certainly more 7mm bullet offerings than .277, and notably, there are a lot more match bullets available in 7mm. What does this mean in the real world? Ah, that's what internet forums are for......they give us a place to argue about such things.

WOW as normal a lot of very good info here. I just bought 7mm-08 and hove not yet shot it. I got it for a good deal for my son to use when he is ready. After reading this I am confident I made the right choice. Thanks.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My 280 definitely kicks harder than my 7x57s, which are comparable to a 7mm-08.

I'm not experienced in what keels best, but I never liked the 270. It's rep, and ballistics is based on a 130 grain bullet, too light for caliber IMO. Besides, it's an odd-ball caliber. Not many other .277 cartridges out there.

I would explain Russp17 's statement,,,,, "Maybe consider a 280 instead of a 270. More diveristy in bullets you can shoot." like so....

The 280 is better designed for heavy for caliber bullets.

Howsomever, if I hadda 7mm-08, I'd still use the heavier bullets. No 140 grain 7mm bullets for me, except for fire-forming brass, or other special purpose.

I figger a 7mm-08 would make for a better Wife Gun, any day of the week.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    There are certainly more 7mm bullet offerings than .277, and notably, there are a lot more match bullets available in 7mm.
    Without spending the time to check that you obviously did, I would guess that if you discount the match bullets that they are back closer to equal. So I guess if you're after a match rifle go for the 7mm. Otherwise you're not short handed going with the .270.

how can a .280 be better than the .270 with large for caliber bullets, when they are both necked down 30-06?

There's nothing a .270 can do, that the .280 can't do even better.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by aktroller View Post
    how can a .280 be better than the .270 with large for caliber bullets, when they are both necked down 30-06?
    CUZ, I said so.

I had 7mm-08 on my brain, but the quote was "270". OOPs.

The 280 is better designed for heavy bullets than a 7mm-08, but I reckon that's largely theoretical.

As to the 270, there isn't the diversity of heavy bullets available in .277.

I just like to knock the 270, because it isn't 7mm. That should be reason enough.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The 270 with equal weight rifle and bullets will kick a little harder. Unless someone is very recoil shy, either one should be fine. You didn't say whether you reload or not but if you have to use factory ammo you need to go to your local ammo store and make your decision from whats on there shelf as there is very little real world difference between the 7mm/08 the 270 or for that matter the 280rem. None of these are brown bear rounds but any of them will put down a moose in it's tracks with proper bullet placement. I have shot 7 moose with a 270 using 150gr cup and core bullets, none of them got away.A 7mm/08 or a 280 would have killed them just as dead.

The whole discussion is really pretty academic. In the real world none of the minor differences noted here will make a noticeable difference. It makes for a fun forum discussion, but nothing on the receiving end is going to be able to tell the difference between being hit with a 7-08 or a 270 (or 280, for that matter).
    What really makes the difference from the shooter's perspective in this case is the individual rifle. A well designed stock and appropriate weight can make bigger calibers much more manageable. On the other hand, a poorly designed stock and too light weight can make a medium-small bore rifle kick more than it should.
    IMO, you could do a lot worse than a CZ in 270.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast