Thread: Trouble with Fish and Game website

Default Trouble with Fish and Game website

I've been trying to report some of my hunts online using the fish and game website but it won't
    go past my personal data window. Anyone else having a problem?

I was gonna do mine that way too. Thats crap if it don't work, but I do know they have been having problems with various parts of their sites. Didn't know this one is screwed up too.
    Your doing the: http://hunt.alaska.gov/ right?
    Suppose to be the right spot. Only thing I can say is go to the main site to get a phone number. Call and ask em what's up with the site. If they say it's working, then all I can think is you don't have your security updates on your puter up to date to work with their site. Banks do that in online banking and who's to say that Alaska hasn't finally got that smart with security by now........lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

After many tries I finally got it to work. Quite a few times it would freeze up after trying to go to the next page but I just started over and I finally got through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    After many tries I finally got it to work. Quite a few times it would freeze up after trying to go to the next page but I just started over and I finally got through it.
    Wow, hope it didn't accidently register as over limit on some of your other tries.......lol
    Hope you don't get a knock at your door on that.....lol
    Sure hope our military computer systems work better than the state systems......
    Oh My........
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I don't have any background with the ADF&G site but it seems common for government sites to be built on old unstable technology and they just keep stacking more info on it and patching it repeatedly to keep it online. Ultimately it would be a huge undertaking to rebuild the whole database on a new more stable platform..... In regards to your "are all government systems like this" question, unfortunately the answer is quite frequently yes. Many of the old systems are archaic and the budget isn't there to develop a new platform since just working out the compatibility issues to move all of that old data to a new system would be a nightmare.

A good example is this site. Back in 2006 the decision was made to go to a new software, when that took place they ended up archiving all of the prior threads and started more or less from scratch. That is why there are no members (save a few who were manually corrected) with join dates prior to 2006. Our owner made the choice to do that but it is much less a problem here where the old data isn't crucial. Imagine trying to do that with something like the pay and entitlement program for the military or even the massive database that is the ADF&G site. You would have to decide on a new system to run it THEN pay a ton of money to figure out how to move all of your data. $$$

To me the best bet would be to build a new site with a new web address and start building features on it while keeping the existing system up and running. That would let them migrate to new foundation over several years and could actually be happening now transparently to us. For the most part though I just see a clunky archaic web data base that has a simply awful search engine and very poor user interface. The only way to make it any harder to use is to crash it altogether which seems to happen with alarming regularity these days...