Thread: Tier I and II as a new resident is it even possible?

Default Tier I and II as a new resident is it even possible?

A couple buddies at work were talking about it with me and it seemed as if I would never be able to draw an Alaska tag. What tags should I be applying for? Not asking areas just what kind of tags. They had mentioned the tier tags are given off of how long you have hunted an area and unless you have lived in AK for more than 25 years there would be no chance.

thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    A couple buddies at work were talking about it with me and it seemed as if I would never be able to draw an Alaska tag. What tags should I be applying for? Not asking areas just what kind of tags. They had mentioned the tier tags are given off of how long you have hunted an area and unless you have lived in AK for more than 25 years there would be no chance.

thanks for the info

Don't believe everything you hear from your "buddies". There are many misconceptions out there about the tier systems. If you are a "resident" for 12 months, and you want apply, do it. If you apply for the Nelchina teir 1 permit, you will get it. Just beware of the restrictions that go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    Don't believe everything you hear from your "buddies". There are many misconceptions out there about the tier systems. If you are a "resident" for 12 months, and you want apply, do it. If you apply for the Nelchina teir 1 permit, you will get it. Just beware of the restrictions that go with it.
    Thanks for the info!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    Don't believe everything you hear from your "buddies". There are many misconceptions out there about the tier systems. If you are a "resident" for 12 months, and you want apply, do it. If you apply for the Nelchina tier 1 permit, you will get it. Just beware of the restrictions that go with it.

i agree here Teach... the Tier system is so convoluted and changes all the time..espessally in times like now when there are tons of extra bou. vs time of lean shortage.. the TIER II is the one you need to be aware of for the LONGEVITY of residency.. If a herd or area is in Tier II then it is low in population and being set aside to meet local** subsistence needs first

HOWEVER this year if you apply for Nelchina Caribout Tier I YOU WILL GET ONE>..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

With that hunt it was talking about having to remove the antlers from the skull plate and leave the plate in the field??? Why?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    With that hunt it was talking about having to remove the antlers from the skull plate and leave the plate in the field??? Why?
    all those restrictions have been lifted... you have to understand that the Nelchina caribou herd have undergone Several regulation changes since May 2009, most designed to discourage hunters from applying thus preventing competition for the resource.. so far everything fails and ends up back in court.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here