Thread: Peninsula's got safe ice!

Thumbs up Peninsula's got safe ice!

Got out to do some icefishing today on the Kenai Peninsula.
    First time this season. 8 1/2" of ice on Johnson lake in Kasilof.
    1" of the milky stuff and the rest was good clear ice.
    Fishing wasn't hot but I caught 6 or so and my budddy caught at least 8 fish. Stayed out maybe 3-4 hours.
    I of course caught the biggest one. There were some nice fat 15-18" fish out there.
    Was kinda hoping for one of those 20"+ fish I have caught at first ice in the past but the ones we got were still a lot of fun.
    Somehow my girlfriend got skunked. last year she outfished me most of the time so I guess it was my turn.
    My new favorite lure worked great again this time. gotta love those berkley Atomic power tubes. White with a yellow tail. The bigger bows literally tore these thing up and the smaller fish( under 12") usually leave it alone.My buddy caught all of his fish on a small silver swedish pimple. All were tipped with raw shrimp.
    It won't be long for other area lakes to become safe and some probably already are.
    Good Luck and Stay Safe.
    I will try to post a picture or two later.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Got out to do some icefishing today on the Kenai Peninsula.
    First time this season. 8 1/2" of ice on Johnson lake in Kasilof.
    1" of the milky stuff and the rest was good clear ice.
    Fishing wasn't hot but I caught 6 or so and my budddy caught at least 8 fish. Stayed out maybe 3-4 hours.
    I of course caught the biggest one. There were some nice fat 15-18" fish out there.
    Was kinda hoping for one of those 20"+ fish I have caught at first ice in the past but the ones we got were still a lot of fun.
    Somehow my girlfriend got skunked. last year she outfished me most of the time so I guess it was my turn.
    My new favorite lure worked great again this time. gotta love those berkley Atomic power tubes. White with a yellow tail. The bigger bows literally tore these thing up and the smaller fish( under 12") usually leave it alone.My buddy caught all of his fish on a small silver swedish pimple. All were tipped with raw shrimp.
    It won't be long for other area lakes to become safe and some probably already are.
    Good Luck and Stay Safe.
    I will try to post a picture or two later.
    Dang! Shoulda stayed close to home! We went up to Kelly and found about 6" of ice but nary a nibble. Maybe will try Johnson tomorrow.

I think we got the jinx Chris. We tried several different places on Johnson and had not a nibble (again). Of course, we were using single eggs, but still, we've always had success with them before.

Well Steve just in case you were wondering this is what they look like.
    PB190530.jpg
    This wasn't the biggest fish of the day unfortunately someone forgot to charge the camera battery.
    Hope you have better luck on your next trip.
    PM me if you want to hookup and I can show you how to catch a trout through the ice.

You are a cruel man. A cruel, lucky man.
    You ever try Salmo Lake at the end of the road? Maybe I asked you that once before...

I believe you did ask once about Salmo.
    The answer is still no though. It is on my to do list.Along with several others out that way and some off of Swanson and maybe a trip to Louise or Crosswinds then theres.........
    Well you get the picture.
    So lets put salmo on the list. I think that pike trip out that way should come first though.
    Been watching my Infishermen ice fishing videos and seeing them catch those 15-25# pike has got me excited. Also the videos that show those 10-20# lakers on Lake of the Woods
    and those lakes in Canada WOW.
    Anyway off to Trustworthy for the stuff to fix my broken Iceshanty windows.

Good to see the ice is finally here. I tried Johnson and Island lake this weekend and both seem a little slow. Caught 3 fish at each lake. I spent a few hrs at each lake and neither one made me want to spend much more time than that. I seen one nice char at Island Lake right off the bat but he never came
    back

Ice seems to range between 5-1/2"-6" in the 4 holes I cut.

Hey so this is how you figure out were all the fish are. I just thought you were good lol. Well have to go ice fishing one of these days.