Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 or shotgun for bunnies?

Default .22 or shotgun for bunnies?

I would prefer the .22, but every one I have seen except one has been pretty quick to bolt and I have no shot with the .22. Wondering if I should switch or do something differently. If I sit still and wait, they come out and are more still, but far away. If I walk and listen, I may get close, but they aren't still long enough to get a shot.

I like to take two guns, lever 17hmr and a 12ga. If one way to hunt is better than other, go back to the car and grab the other.

Or buy a .22/shotgun combo gun!

Or take me and my dog along. Right when she jumps them they run. Then often will circle on here and sit still in the open.

I like the sport of it with bunnies. Sure you can blast em with a shotgun, but the fun of it is with a 22 scope gun for bunnies on snowshoes. Take 3 steps, stop and look around for that little black eye. No eye, take 3 more steps and look again. Just fun way to hunt em. I like to eat em anyway and prefer less tooth breaking items in the meat.........lol
    Always had my best luck on cold sunny days. They pop out of their hole to catch the sun to warm-up. Perfect target when they do that if you can spot em. Makes you a better hunter too, if you can learn to spot those little critters that think you can't see them.
    JMO
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

22 all the way. Although a shotgun will work in a pinch there are too many downsides. They are quick to bolt but they usually stop somewhere and that is where you get them. Just walk quiet and let them bolt, then you see 'em, hopefully they stop somewhere you can get a clean shot. If not, keep walking and get the next one.
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by billhicksmostfunny View Post
    22 all the way. Although a shotgun will work in a pinch there are too many downsides. They are quick to bolt but they usually stop somewhere and that is where you get them. Just walk quiet and let them bolt, then you see 'em, hopefully they stop somewhere you can get a clean shot. If not, keep walking and get the next one.
    I agree totally, but the real trick is to train your eyes to spot em. Their there, you just gotta learn to see em.

I like the .22 magnum with solid bullets. You should be able to set up in a good position where you see alot of runs. With a little looking and waiting for them to move you'll see em. Then watch em roll.

A 17hmr is my favorite but the best combo is a shotgun and 22 pistol. If they are running use the shotty, if you catch them sitting shoot them in the head with the pistol.

Not to change the subject too much, but 40 years ago when I used to hunt deer with a bow, I was walking down a trail and a Jack ran out on the trail in front of me and proceeded down the trail. I had a hunting arrow in my bow of course, but just as the bunny was about to round the corner out of my site I decided to shoot. Kind of a long shot and my arrow went right under him. I walked up to where he was when I shot and I found a gut pile. That rabbit ran another 50 yards with no intestines. I couldn't believe it, but he really did. My arrow went right under his belly and sliced him from his butt to his neck. Actually he did go a few feet after I hit him. His intestins got caught on a trig on the trail and ripped em out. Crazy as heck to have it happen like that, but true.

I usually prefer the .22 over the shotgun for eating concerns- although I've been shooting a break down 20 some this year at rabbits with good effect.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I usually prefer the .22 over the shotgun for eating concerns- although I've been shooting a break down 20 some this year at rabbits with good effect.
    If you use steel shot you can run your meat thru a magnet before you eat it....Ya, that would work, thanks for the idea..........lol
    Hummmm.thinking.......?

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    If you use steel shot you can run your meat thru a magnet before you eat it....Ya, that would work, thanks for the idea..........lol
    Hummmm.thinking.......?
    Or use a larger shot, like 6 with a large load, 1 1/4oz with 3 3/4 dram! Works like a charm and very rarely find a bb.

I was using #4 heavy game load in both a 20ga. and 12ga. with great success, a few less pellets to deal with and quite effective. I do prefer to shoot them with a .22 but if your only seeing runners don't be afraid to use the shotgun.

If you use a .22 you will improve your personal accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Carter View Post
    If you use a .22 you will improve your personal accuracy.
    What you said!!!!

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will stick with the .22 for now. I have a .17 HMR, but I figure what's the use. Either one in the head will kill the sucker, so why not use the cheaper ammo if I can? I may switch it up just for the heck of it sometimes, but overall, I just love using the .22 whenever I can.

I will try the 3 step-look-3 step-look strategy and see how it goes. I also enjoy sitting in wait, but it just seems to get a little too dark by the time they start really coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I will stick with the .22 for now. I have a .17 HMR, but I figure what's the use. Either one in the head will kill the sucker, so why not use the cheaper ammo if I can? I may switch it up just for the heck of it sometimes, but overall, I just love using the .22 whenever I can.

I will try the 3 step-look-3 step-look strategy and see how it goes. I also enjoy sitting in wait, but it just seems to get a little too dark by the time they start really coming out.
    Sunny side of ridges and brush piles where they have their dens is the trick if'n your on snowshoes. Believe me. It works if the rabbits are there of course. I used to live at a place in Northern Minn, north of Silver Bay and had a ridge that wrapped around my back property line. It ran about 300 yards total. I'd get home from work at nite, strap my snowshoes on and walk that ridge every nite. I walked it so slow, took me 2 hours or better. Came out almost every nite with 6 rabbits. 22 Remington with scope. Deadly rabbit gun. Not much meat on a snowshoe bunny, but I used to debone all the meat and grind it up. Made meatloaf with it and it was a killer dinner. My kids loved it too. They use to beg me to make rabbit meatloaf all the time after the first time they ate it. That was pretty cool concidering how fussy kids can get about what they will and won't eat.
    Kill em dang it and have fun!

Well, no ridges here. Everything is wooded, with trails running throughout. I just set up about 4-4:30 and stay til dark on my back 5 acres. There are tracks EVERYWHERE and I have seen one or 2 hopping around every time, but they are either too far away or so close that when I go to aim, they bolt. I am gonna have to change my spot I think and set up closer to where they come out. Had one come out 20 yards away to my left, but as I tried to turn for a shot, he took off into the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    Well, no ridges here. Everything is wooded, with trails running throughout. I just set up about 4-4:30 and stay til dark on my back 5 acres. There are tracks EVERYWHERE and I have seen one or 2 hopping around every time, but they are either too far away or so close that when I go to aim, they bolt. I am gonna have to change my spot I think and set up closer to where they come out. Had one come out 20 yards away to my left, but as I tried to turn for a shot, he took off into the woods.
    Hey dude, if your really into bunny hunting and have a spot off or near your land with a spot you know there in, try a ground blind. Just a thought, but the way it sounds, where your at, you just need cover. Ground blind would be cool also if you have young kids your training in to learn to shoot. Little heater inside and well how much better can that get. Ooops, the beer and pop cooler of course..........lol
    Maybe pack a few rabbit meatloaf sammis from the day before hunt.

Sounds like shotgun country to me, if your looking for pure efficiency. A 20 with 7/8 oz of #6 or #5 would be my pick. I actually carry both- a 20 and a 22 handgun. If they'll sit still I draw the 22, but if my first sight is on the run it's shotgun time. I have the luxury of picking the kind of cover I hunt and therefore match the arm to the place when it's casual. But when I want to make sure I bring some home, the shotgun is the first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Sounds like shotgun country to me, if your looking for pure efficiency. A 20 with 7/8 oz of #6 or #5 would be my pick. I actually carry both- a 20 and a 22 handgun. If they'll sit still I draw the 22, but if my first sight is on the run it's shotgun time. I have the luxury of picking the kind of cover I hunt and therefore match the arm to the place when it's casual. But when I want to make sure I bring some home, the shotgun is the first choice.
    I use a 12 but with the same 5 or 6 shot. Works like a champ and very few pellets are left in the animal. With practice you can keep most of the pattern off the body and do primarily head shots even with a shotgun. If I am not using the shotty then my AR tends to get the nod. It is a lot of fun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast