Thread: sled / tube for hauling gear?

Default sled / tube for hauling gear?

Question for all
    We are going camping this weekend (leaving tomm) & total there will be 4 of us on 3 machines. We only have one cargo sled so I was trying to come up with a way to make a 2nd in a hurry. I have a orange plastic $20 type sled from REI & an truck tire innertube as opitons. Has anybody tried one of these or is there a good way to do this besides just fastening a rope to the sled?
    Thinkink a backpack & kitchen sink bad would fit well in the tube.
    Any thoughts as the trail in is about 30 miles.
    Thanks

Towing a shallow akio or an inner tube with a rope will be a disaster. Stuff your gear into backpacks or gear bags and tie them to the machines. Or borrow a proper sled with a rigid tow bar if you have a machine equipped with a hitch.

Even good sleds are a pain on bumpy trails. If the load is manageable to carry on my machines, I'll opt for that option over pulling a sled every time. I'll go as far as to stuff everything into a hockey gear bag and will tie it off any way I can. If you have two machines with solo riders, you have a lot of room.

I agree, if you can get your stuff on your snowmachines instead of in a sled you are way better off.

If you still need to use a 2nd cargo sled, I'd go with the plastic one. Get a piece of plastic conduit (10'). Cut it in half. Take some rope and tie one end to the front of the sled on one side. Thread the rope through the two pieces of conduit and then tie it to the other side of front of the sled. You'll now have something similar to a polk that skiers use to hual gear. The conduit helps keep the thing from crashing into the back of your snowmachine.

Still, a 30 mile trail is a long one for a sled like that. You will have some problems.

Default thanks

Thanks for the input,
    Will try & use the hockey bag & idea & attach it to the seat/machine.
    I thought about the polk sleds from REI but after a 3 day rental its almost worth buying one.

Default Sled

Run to Sportsmans and get one of the otter sleds. They will work okay and when the temp stays warm. They even sell cheapo hitches with them. I wouldn't count on them forever, but they should hold up for a trip or two.

DO NOT go without a sled or proper sled. It will make your trip a disaster.

I picked up one of the otter wilderness sleds and it has held up well so far and I am VERY hard on equipment.