Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charter Violations

Default Charter Violations

You want proof of what I mean by more regulation is needed?

One random sting OP, listen up....

"**** Island Lodge in Sitka was cited from a random undercover sting operation in 2009. Charges include (this will blow you away) : failure to imediately record king salmon catches, recording a king salmon catch on the license of someone who wasn't fishing that day; failure to record catch of yelloweye and catching an overlimit of yelloweye, wasting sport caught fish; fishing for Dungeness crab w/ unmarked pot and gear; using shrimp pots marked w/ a private Sitka residents name (stolen);hauling sport pots for clients, furnishing the shellfish for dinner to clients and other guests; putting out an overlimit of poles; keeping an overlimit of halibut; providing inaccurate and false information in a logbook; failure to submit a saltwater logbook for one of the 3 days of the trip. The guide was charged w/ a violation in aiding or permitting the commission of a violation, making false entries in a sportfish logbook;and fishing in excess of the maximum number of fishing lines. The charging documents included a narrative explaining the guide put fillets of halibut over the limit in a bag w/ a 10lb. weight and suspended the weighted bag over the side of the boat where it could be disposed of if contacted by Law enforcement."

WOW!!! That is one routine audit pulling the name of a charter outfit out of a hat. That my friends is provocative to say the least

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    You want proof of what I mean by more regulation is needed?
    No. More ENFORCEMENT is needed. Plenty of laws to protect the resource, not enough bodies out there to get the bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    no. More enforcement is needed. Plenty of laws to protect the resource, not enough bodies out there to get the bad guys.
    Bingo! ! ! ! !
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

No. More ENFORCEMENT is needed. Plenty of laws to protect the resource, not enough bodies out there to get the bad guys.
    Like Doc says you're probably right all we need is more enforcement on the state level

We need more enforcement of the drunken commercial fishermen, their the ones running aground all the time.

Really, all this isolated report shows is that LEO did a good job conducting a sting and catching a rotten apple. The regulation is already out there. Some follow them, some don't. Whether commercial fishing, lodge fishing, outfitting, guiding/chartering, sport fishing, subsistence or PU, there are bad apples. Conversely, you will likely find that the vast majority of any of the above groups does follow the regulations. But if you wish, you can point to any of those bad apples as an example of why the entire group should be regulated more heavily, or no longer allowed to fish. Is that really what you'd like to achieve, fullbush?

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Really, all this isolated report shows is that LEO did a good job conducting a sting and catching a rotten apple. The regulation is already out there. Some follow them, some don't. Whether commercial fishing, lodge fishing, outfitting, guiding/chartering, sport fishing, subsistence or PU, there are bad apples. Conversely, you will likely find that the vast majority of any of the above groups does follow the regulations. But if you wish, you can point to any of those bad apples as an example of why the entire group should be regulated more heavily, or no longer allowed to fish. Is that really what you'd like to achieve, fullbush?
    I already clarified its not regulations needed its enforcement. You're correct willphish4food there are bad apples in all user groups. The enforcement is primarily focused on condensed commercial and sport fisheries. These smaller charter operators are operating under the radar, as evidenced by this one sting operation.

Those stings aren't usually random. LE usually gets wind of a lodge not following the rules and sends undercovers to check em out.

The problem you have in SE is many of the lodges have private docks, where the fish get sliced and diced minutes after pictures are taken. They don't return to the city dock, where the fish counter is. If all charters offloaded on a city dock, then all the over fishing would go away.

Were checked by ADF&G daily on our fish count,I could count on one hand how many times I'm not checked each year.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    . If all charters offloaded on a city dock, then all the over fishing would go away.
    The tourists that don't want to be in town would also disappear
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default longing for the good old days...

I remember a time when we actually had some good discussions here in the ol' management forum. Granted, minds were not often changed, but there was a vaulable exchange of ideas, opinions and information....at least some of the time. There were certainly some flame wars and locked threads.

Now it seems like it's mostly threads and posts to inflame/flame others.

Fullbush...don't get all defensive...this isn't aimed (solely) at you because I posted it in your thread.

You're right MRFISH,. Theres got to be a checks and balance system though wouldn't you agree? All I can do is fight fire w/ fire. Theres another thread in this section that calls for mistreatment of me because I fish for a living. I'm gonna take heed to what you're saying and try to abstain from any dialogue thats not constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I'm gonna take heed to what you're saying and try to abstain from any dialogue thats not constructive.

Good luck!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    Were checked by ADF&G daily on our fish count,I could count on one hand how many times I'm not checked each year.
    Of the 400 or so charters I ran, I had my fish checked 0 times.

[QUOTE=270ti;838230]Of the 400 or so charters I ran, I had my fish checked 0 times.[/QUOTE

Were you going back to a lodge or a city dock?

Lodges with their own docks. When I'm fishing with my kids out of my 20ft skiff, we get check every time we come in by the fish gal, because we come back to the city harbor where I keep the boat. She measures the fish, takes scale samples, etc..

I was even pulled over by the CG/Troopers almost every year when charter fishing out on the water. They'd check paperwork and safety equipment, but they never asked to look in the fish box. It's almost like they didn't want to know.

I heard that the Lodge this post is about is fighting these charges. Apparently it was a private contractor that committed most of the violations.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Good luck!
    Thanks Phish!

I think every user group has its bad apples. I dont think you can point a finger and say one group is worse than another.

If anybody is a Salmon and Steelhead journal reader, look back 3 or 4 years ago and find the article where this particular lodge is pimping the wild steelhead runs around Sitka. Then count how many fishing violations took place.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast