Thread: Primos Still Jackrabbit

Default Primos Still Jackrabbit

Picked this call up from Sportsman warehouse a few weeks ago- been tring to call fox on ft. rich- no success. any other reviews on this call?

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

I am practicing with the KiYi but just in the truck =) Hope I can have some success without shelling out for an e caller. Good luck.

Big Lake

I've had the best luck with a Scerey snowshoe hare call, but have had sucess with other rabbit squeal calls also. Generally speaking, a coyote howler is of limited use up here. Opinion runs that yotes that do a lot of "talking", get eaten pretty quickly by the big dogs (wolves). You may get a response from the howler call, but expect the yote to just show up, not respond audibily.
    Are you calling in an area where rabbit tracks & fox tracks are in evidence? There's a lot of area on Ft Rich that doesn't have either preditor or prey - you need to call in an area they are using. Even then, don't expect a response every time you go out. Hunting locally, I might only see a fox every 3-4 trips (a trip consisting of 3-4 set-ups).
    I usually start with a 20-30 second series of mutted, high pitched squeals. Wait 3-5 minutes & do another 30-45 seconds of louder, raspier calls. Wait 5 minutes, repeat # 2. Leave after 30 minutes (from first call). If you can sit longer, you'd be better off - do as I say, not as I do.
    Sucess in calling is more a matter of patience, not the expense or sound of the call you use. On a good day, you could probably get as much response from a dog toy squeeker as a $500 FoxPro.

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Creek View Post
    I am practicing with the KiYi but just in the truck =) Hope I can have some success without shelling out for an e caller. Good luck.
    I just bought a KiYi this afternoon and am gonna try it out tomorrow morn. Any thoughts?
    I will post if I have any luck.

Jack rabbit is surprisingly a good call up here...............for the coyotes. It'll work on fox too but if ya targeting them ya might want something a little higher pitched. For an off the shelf call you can't go wrong with the Johnny Stewart PC-3 bite style call for its sound versatility, and there might be a few other production calls that will meet the high pitched bill for ya.

I also carried the Sceery AP5 snowshoe call too and it works, but it sounds nothing like a snowshoe hare. A buddy of mine shot a hare a few years back from his machine and had to shoe-up to go in and get it. While he was strapping on the shoes that thing cried like I had never heard before and no sooner then he had the hare on the machine he was shooting at a coyote that was coming into it, and upon further investigation there was two other coyotes with it. So needless to say I went home and went through all my production calls and custom calls trying to mimick that sound, which I couldn't. Ended up with a custom open reed with an antler tone board from a fellow name Brad Gainey, that nails that sound perfectly.

Howling also works, and as Gary stated, don't expect a response, they'll just show up. Matter fact Gary has a lot of good information in his post to include the dog toy squeaker, which I always have in my coat pocket. I also am a 30 minute minimum stand guy. With the exception of a few, most for me have been around or after the 30 minute mark. Could be different for someone else? Maybe I just have a 30 minute hand call sound? My last coyote came to howling right at about the 35 minute mark, if I recall correctly.

Good luck and happy calling,
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

my absolute favorite mouth caller is the primos cat nip.. it is not real loud but it is great for close areas, and open terrain... i called a wolf in with it last spring... to 15 yards.. the soft bite and horn allows you to pitch it in various tones and cry levels with minimal effort... love it..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here