Thread: Yamaha Dealer with Super Poor Service

Default Yamaha Dealer with Super Poor Service

This post is to talk about super bad service I received from a Yamaha Dealer located in anchorage (I will not post the business name) but let me tell you what happened to BOTH my 2004 660 Grizzlies.

I took both wheelers in for service (valve adjustment, carb check, etc) back in Mar 2010 before the summer season got to going hard. I figured after 5+ years of no trouble I better get them tuned up so I do not start having trouble .....Mistake #1.

I used them a little over the summer and they ran ok but I really do not RUN them enough to give it much though. Then the trouble stated........ I took them to the Lake Louise area during Caribou hunting and had a bad time trying to get them to run but after 20 minutes and getting good and hot they seemed to run ok. The next weekend I when to Summit lake area for round two of Caribou hunting. I stated both of them and backed them off the trailer but was having the same problem as the week before, running while they were cold.

Ten minutes into trying to warm them up, one of them died and would not start. When I pulled the plug it was so Carbon filed that I know the carbs were set totally wrong. After wasting almost 2 hours of hunting time (unloading, working on them, and loading back up, moving to spot we could hunt on foot) I figured I would call my favorite Yamaha dealer. I called service department and talked to service manager who said bring them in and he would see what he could do to make it right.

One week later I called and they said that both carbs were adjusted wrong and that the one needed the valves adjusted. He said whoever was in there last did not do the job correctly. I let him know that is department was the only one to ever put a wrench to those machines.

I picked them up today and the invoice was for $290 because the carbs were out of adjustment. (they only warranty 60 days on there labor) I said you adjusted them less then 100 miles ago.

He said I had over 500 miles on the one machine. The Mechanic said I must have kids were out riding and I did not know what they were doing. I said no way there was 500 miles on it since the service in Mar 2010 and said they must have been out joy riding, the computer was screwed up or something was wrong with the odometer. Then the manager, service tech, and dealer manager started laughing saying my kids were trashing my machines. (My son is 26 years old, a slop worker and lives with his girlfriend in Anchorage). I went out to the machine and check the odometer: guess what I found, they set it to Kilometers. When we put it back to MPH the machine had 30 miles on it since they last adjusted the valves and carbs. Then the dealer manager said I did not run my machines enough and the gas we have today is only good for three weeks max. in the lower 48, the gas goes bad faster. But not to worry car owner, you car has fuel injection and the fuel is keep under pressure and that is why is does not go bad in your carů. I learned something today.

SOME PEOPLE WORK IN POSITIONS WHO DO NOT HAVE A CLUE. I highly suggest you take your machines elsewhere. Screw them. If you need to see invoices with work done or the name of the dealer, PM me and I will talk more specifics in private.

I've heard bad things about the Anchorage Yamaha dealer before, more than once. I suggest you give the Wasilla shop a chance. That's where I bought all of my machines, and have had the majority of my service (what I didn't do myself) done and I have zero complaints after three machines, and at least 6K cumulative miles. Performance Yamaha in Wasilla will not disappoint you.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Yes from now on I am going to the wasilla dealer. Thanks for the advise

I like to work with Mike at Alaska House of Yamaha in Big Lake!
    They have had to fix a lot of Anch. problems!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Another +1 for the Big lake Yamaha place. They have been great to deal with....

House of Yamaha is a good dealer (Big Lake). I've also had great service through the years at Anchorage Yamaha. I've bought plenty of stuff from both.

Every business will have a bad day or a bad customer report if you look for one.

Father-in-law did not have such good luck with either Yamaha dealers in the Valley and ended up taking his Yamaha to Big Lake Power Sports, and got the problem fixed the first time. Unless its warranty work any wheeler shop can diagnose and repair, a wheeler. I'm not saying they all do it well, but don't limit yourself to the dealer of the brand of wheeler that you have. Yes, commons sense would tell you that the dealer should know the most about your same brand wheeler, but that's not always the case. I'll also add that newer more complicated wheelers with specific AWD, 4X4, EPS systems etc, I would probably take to the brand dealer, however, tune-ups, adjustments, oil changes, especially on wheelers that are carburated, heck take them to Bill-Jo Bob, and Push-Start who have a shop out of their shed. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    House of Yamaha is a good dealer (Big Lake). I've also had great service through the years at Anchorage Yamaha. I've bought plenty of stuff from both.

Every business will have a bad day or a bad customer report if you look for one.
    Bad days should not cost me $290 dollars but several hours of lost hunting. And when they say my kids must be out tearing up my machines because they have 500 miles on them from last service and have a good old fashion store laugh to only find out that one of there service techs set the odometer to Kilometers is pure BS, this is not the first time I had trouble with them but I assure you it is the last.......

Good for you. Your choice. I offered a different viewpoint. I won't hesitate to continue buying products and service from Anchorage Yamaha based upon my history with them. My choice.

Bet if you dumped some Heet in your gas tank 95% of the problems would of disappeared.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Bet if you dumped some Heet in your gas tank 95% of the problems would of disappeared.
    All except the part about the valves being a full mm out of spec.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

First thing I will say is that for almost $300.00 and what sounds like more than a few hours of missed hunting you would would have been better to learn to do the minor work yourself. Things like fuel injection and the like well thats fine take it to the dealer or someone that knows... But for setting valves,carb and general maintance you will be better off knowing how to do the repairs yourself.(Great for when you break down in the bush too) Also instead of looking to the dealer for parts I have found that it's MUCH cheaper to shop around first. I purchased a 2001 Yamaha Grizzly 600 this spring that was in need of wheel bearings and the u-joint for the rear drive shaft, for the wheel bearings and seals alone for all four wheels the price from Yamaha was close to the $300.00 mark but after going to the bearing houses in town I spent around $125.00. Then for the u-joint from Yamaha "cough, cough" each bearing cup is over $40.00 (X4) and the cross is just over $100.00... The bearing house in town was out but the complete u-joint assembly would have cost me $35.00 from them but I found it online for $14.00. And last as of yet I don't have a service manual for my ride but I will say that when I have called for torque specs and the like the shop in Wasilla has always been quick to give my the information that I need and they have always been certain of it. (what I mean is the guy doesn't go well I think it is ..., he tells me that the book shows that it should be torqued to... and that means alot!)

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Well I am off to Big Lake then, if more warranty work is necessary...I have NOT had good luck with a brand new machine from the other Yamaha shop in the valley...Did I mention a BRAND NEW machine that needed 500 bucks of service within 200 miles and the dealer refused to cover by warranty...Not what I expected after the outlay of major bucks...Everything from low pressure on new tires, when delivered to forgetting to hook up electrical components to brake failure...VERY disappointed

The MAIN reason I bought Yamaha is because my buddy is a mechanic and owns Yamaha wheelers. He says they are bomb proof (but don't all happy owners of their chosen wheeler? ) Anyway, little things I learn how to do, big things I either have him do or have him go with to the dealer. (Use this same trick with autos too) Mechanics seem to have thier own language and good ones seem to instinctively know when stuff is not right. He saves my butt many a time. I'm not sure I am as valuable of a friend to him, but I do my best to make sure the help is not always one sided when I can. I guess all I am saying is that everyone needs a good mechanic for a buddy! : ) The horror stories he tells about dealers (all kinds) makes me never want to set foot in any one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by chasing View Post
    The MAIN reason I bought Yamaha is because my buddy is a mechanic and owns Yamaha wheelers. He says they are bomb proof (but don't all happy owners of their chosen wheeler? ) Anyway, little things I learn how to do, big things I either have him do or have him go with to the dealer. (Use this same trick with autos too) Mechanics seem to have thier own language and good ones seem to instinctively know when stuff is not right. He saves my butt many a time. I'm not sure I am as valuable of a friend to him, but I do my best to make sure the help is not always one sided when I can. I guess all I am saying is that everyone needs a good mechanic for a buddy! : ) The horror stories he tells about dealers (all kinds) makes me never want to set foot in any one of them!
    I think I speak for most of us mechanics when I say "free beer" tastes best. (hint hint)
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"