Thread: 270 for predators

Default 270 for predators

does anyone know what the smallest grain of bullet is available for the 270? Its the smallest calliber next to a 22 I own am wondring if a small grain bullet if available would create less pelt damage. Anyone shot a yote or smaller with 270? smallest i can find in 130 grain.

270 comes in 130 and 150 grain

I didn't see anything in Factory less than 130 gr SO, I dove into reloading for my .277 bullets , Found These, that should work pretty well for varmints,
    if you are a reloader or are thinking of reloading for your .270

Sierra 90 gr Hollow point
    Speer 100gr HP Varminter
    Hornady 110 gr VMax
    Barnes 110gr TTSX
    Nosler 110gr Accubond

Actually I bought a .270wsm with the intent of reloading for it as it seemed a great midrange Caliber with the bullets available.

Prior to the reloading I did shoot a Fox with a Factory 130 gr, it wasn't good for his backside shoulder, as you can imagine, (but still salvageable)
    My rifle seems to shoot the Barnes, and Hornady, as well as those Sierra 90gr Hp's really nicely and REALLY FAST
    I'm looking forward to the long range accuracy for Varminting this winter, those Barnes 110gr ttsx are incredibly accurate thru my rifle
    Just this morning, I had two, 5-shot groups hit at, .57" and .43" patterns

Stopped right there with ten left to go hunting tomorrow Dive in, if you're not already, Reloading
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

With bullet technology being what it is these days, as well as powder selection for light loads.... I really don't see why one can't create a true "one caliber does all" kind of rifle. (If you hand-load.) I'm inclined to think the .270 would be one of the front-runners, too. I'd bet the 30-06 would beat it for all-around use, but since you are asking about predators, your .270 has the advantage over the '06 in terms of minimizing pelt damage. My predator gun is a .243. Choose the right bullet and velocity combo and you're in business.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Remington offers a "managed recoil " load with 115gr bullet. I started my grandson on these at the range as it's 50% less recoil.

Roland were those special orders or were you able to find them locally?

I got them at "Impact gun store " on K-Beach road. Remington makes "managed recoil " loads in several calibers.

Thanks I will swing by and check em out

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    Roland were those special orders or were you able to find them locally?
    Geoff, I'm not sure where in the state you're at, but I know Sportsman's Warehouse stocks the Remington managed recoil ammo.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Geoff, I'm not sure where in the state you're at, but I know Sportsman's Warehouse stocks the Remington managed recoil ammo.
    if your reload there are some good recipes for the manage recoil loads also.. SR 4759 is one powder to use
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    if your reload there are some good recipes for the manage recoil loads also.. SR 4759 is one powder to use
    Trail Boss is another good one. I read an article a while back where some testing was being done using Trail Boss with bottle-necked rifle cartridges and they were getting good results. I figure I'll wait until they work the bugs out before I try it myself. I have used Trail Boss in both 460 S&W and 45 Colt though, with very good results. I can load .460 brass with my own 300 gr. WFNGC bullets using 9-10 grains of trail boss, and my wife and ten-year-old son can both handle it. I haven't run them through the chrony yet, but I'm estimating around 700 - 800 fps. They are very accurate, too.