Thread: New Cannon Mag 5 & 10TS Downrigger

Default New Cannon Mag 5 & 10TS Downrigger

Not looking to join the manual vs electric discussion. I know I want Cannon electric.

Cannon just changed up the product line and made some pretty big changes. The Mag 5 and 10 HS have been replaced by the Mag 5 and 10 TS. Quick change, easy access spools and some other things. I'm ready to upgrade from my manual Cannon's to electric and then this came along.

Cannon's website doesn't have a comparison to the HS models and I called multiple dealers around the Northwest and no one was very helpful.

I even called a couple authorized repair shops for Cannon and one guy in Seattle told me he knew a charter guy that had been testing them for a year and didn't like the new TS as well as his HS models. He wasn't able to elaborate though. Price is about the same. Anyone know anything about them???? Anyone know a charter guy who has tested them from "Team Cannon"?

Thanks,
    John

a guy i know here in juneau that runs a charter boat, 2 years ago he went thru 5 NEW cannon downriggers in the matter of a month. the old electric one used to be really bullet proof, but the new ones are crap. go onto cabelas and look at all the input that everyone is putting on feedback. i am personally a scotty electric person really easy to work on if you are out on the water and something needs to be adjusted. the new scottys are going to be faster than the cannons.

just my input

Thanks for the input. I did look at the Cabela's reviews a while back and it wasn't good. I was hoping to hear of great improvements with these new ones, but there isn't a single review up ANYWHERE I can find on the internet.

I wanted the Cannon's because I take a lot of newbies out fishing and I liked the idea of the line speed being regulated going down rather than the hand clutch I use on my manuals. The Scotty electrics I've used also went down with a hand clutch. I occasionally have people who will have a coordination problem letting out and snap the line out of the clip or once there was the guy who forgot which way was was stop and started dropping the weight immediately to the bottom and then went OHHH as he shut it down the opposite direction, immediately braking it and then snapped the cable. I haven't used the Scotty's for a while, is that still the way they're set up??

Thanks,
    John

Not sure about the Scottys but the Big Jons raise and lower with the motor.
    I used to mate on several charter boats on Lake Ontario and have used electric Cannons, Walkers and Big Jons and the Big Jons were my favorite for functionality. The ones I used were the Big Jon Captains Pak. They are very user friendly and ball retreival is a snap as you just raise the arm (it pivots) and the ball swings right to you. Cannons were the worst for ball retreival.

I bought 2, 5HS Cannons recently and one of them sounds like it is jumping a gear when it retrieves the ball. I need to use them more though before I deal with it as a warranty issue. I really like them in every other aspect.

I had Cannon Unitrolls that I took the long boom off of and put on the new 5HS models, saving myself $150 per downrigger over the price of the 10HS, as I also had the low-profile mounts already mounted on the boat and just didn't need to spend the money on the 10HS for the longer boom and the mounts (which I believe is the only difference between the model 5 and model 10).

I'll report back on my gear problem once I use the units more and get the problem sorted ou.