Thread: Relocating to Alaska from Florida...

Default Relocating to Alaska from Florida...

Hi everyone, so glad I found this forum as there is alot of useful information here.

I am a correctional officer in the State of Florida and I'm wondering if I want to continue in a state prison or maybe work in a Sheriff's Dept. (local jails) instead. I've talked on the phone and tried to read up on alot of things, but I'm getting confused...someone said I have to be a resident of Alaska for 6 months before applying. The areas I'm considering is Wasilla & Palmer...any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Just wanted to add that this move is something that I've been wanting to do for the last 15 yrs and I'm finally able to start planning!

Quote Originally Posted by sgttmac2010 View Post
    Hi everyone, so glad I found this forum as there is alot of useful information here.

I am a correctional officer in the State of Florida and I'm wondering if I want to continue in a state prison or maybe work in a Sheriff's Dept. (local jails) instead. I've talked on the phone and tried to read up on alot of things, but I'm getting confused...someone said I have to be a resident of Alaska for 6 months before applying. The areas I'm considering is Wasilla & Palmer...any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Just wanted to add that this move is something that I've been wanting to do for the last 15 yrs and I'm finally able to start planning!
    Palmer has a prison facility that might be right up your alley.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Thanks GrizzlyH, can you tell me if there is a local Police or Sheriff's Dept. that have jails?

Quote Originally Posted by sgttmac2010 View Post
    Thanks GrizzlyH, can you tell me if there is a local Police or Sheriff's Dept. that have jails?
    Yep, Wasilla has a police department. Worth inquiring on for sure. Wasilla and Palmer is a great place to live if you can find work.

Look through this http://www.dps.alaska.gov/dpslinks.aspx

Kevin
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

They are fixing to hire a ton of folks for a new prison in Wasilla. While I'm not sure of the state residency rules, I'm sure they'll be flexable do to the volume of emplyees they'll need.

Get a hold of the Department Of Corrections recruiting officer, he'll be able to answer everything for ya.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    They are fixing to hire a ton of folks for a new prison in Wasilla. While I'm not sure of the state residency rules, I'm sure they'll be flexable do to the volume of emplyees they'll need.

Get a hold of the Department Of Corrections recruiting officer, he'll be able to answer everything for ya.
    For these positions, residency doesn't enter in. It's qualifications that they are looking for.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    For these positions, residency doesn't enter in. It's qualifications that they are looking for.
    not really that even... all the DOC has ever asked for is APPLICANTS.. extreme turn over rate.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    not really that even... all the DOC has ever asked for is APPLICANTS.. extreme turn over rate.
    What I mean is, good credentials and qualies are gonna help you alot for the better jobs.

Thanks again GrizzlyH, I will.....looking for a great place to live. Love the outdoors, mountains, small communities, looking forward to living the Alaskan experience. In fact, right now on mnbc is a show called "Lockup" about a prison in Spring Creek.

Thanks for the link AkKevin, I've looked at a few and will check this one out too!

WaterWolf, that's good news to hear, makes me want to pack up now!
    GrizzlyH, I have plenty of experience in corrections, been doing it for over 17 years.
    Vince, that sounds like what we're going thru down here also...maybe with my years of experience I may have a leg up.

I really appreciate all the input, if you think of anything else, please let me know... this forum is a great place.
    You guys live in such a beautiful state and I would be blessed to be able to join you there one day.

Good luck and hope it all works out for you.

Thanks man, I hope it does too

I know your in nice warm Florida but you will become acclimated it just takes a little time. best of wishes Kevin
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

Thanks AkKevin, tired of having 9 months of summer, 1 month of Fall, 1 month of Winter and 1 month of Spring...I hate the hot, humid weather that this past year brought with 95% humidity and heat index ratings of 145+ degrees, I look forward to getting cold! I've been here since 1974, looking for a nice change. Sort of like jumping out of the fire and into the freezer LOL

Do you need to be near Anchorage for some reason? If not I would work here:

http://www.correct.state.ak.us/corre...ecruitment.jsf

Spring Creek Correctional Center

Just my two cents
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge