Thread: Need Help Choosing A Scope

Default Need Help Choosing A Scope

Well the title says it all,i need help choosing a scope for my 45-70.I wont be using it on any long range shots,any suggestions?

one of the low powered leupy's would be hard to beat. I like higher end optics but for a beater brush gun you are unlikely to need it. Something like a 1.5-5 would be perfect.

Agreed. I'd also through into the mix a 1.75-6

Brett

Check out the Scout mount. It puts the scope farther forward than a traditional mount.
    A fixed 4X Leupold is nice. Cabelas has a scope in the "bargain cave" specifically set up for this gun and caliber at half price about two weeks ago.
    A buddy has the same gun with scout/leupold set up and I carried it a bit this fall and came to the conclusion that I like the open sights, for now anyway.
    I'd be curious to hear what you eventually decide on.
    BK

Coming from MN, I have used a 3 to 9 for years. Love it. Although, being in Alaska now, sheep and bou hunting, I wouldn't mind having one in the 20 power range. More for identifying legal racks than the actual shot. The 9 is fine for the shot part in my book.
    JMO
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I prefer mid to high end (Luepold, Nikon Burris) but in a fixed power and would be comfortable with 2x, 3x or 4x.

Take a look at a Kahles 1.1-4x24, have one on my .416 and love it.

You guys spend way too much on scopes. My old 3 to 9 Bushnell is as good as your $3-4-5-6 + models for accuracy. Paid $89 for mine in 1983. Never missed a shot with it yet. It even has range finder on it. Of course you need to set em up right. Sighted it one time when I got it and has never had to be reset again. Killed 14 deer with it in one shot from 50 to 250 yards. It's never failed me.
    JMO

thanks for your info guys,i think im gonna go with the leverevolution specific scop.i like what i read on it and it's half off @cabela's website.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    You guys spend way too much on scopes. My old 3 to 9 Bushnell is as good as your $3-4-5-6 + models for accuracy. Paid $89 for mine in 1983. Never missed a shot with it yet. It even has range finder on it. Of course you need to set em up right. Sighted it one time when I got it and has never had to be reset again. Killed 14 deer with it in one shot from 50 to 250 yards. It's never failed me.
    JMO

When it comes to optics you don't pay more money for accuracy. You pay more money for clarity and brightness and relatively speaking the more you pay the more you get. And that in turn translates into accuracy in low light conditions. I realise this is a binno story and we're talking scopes, but I let my friend borrow my Leica Ultravid HDs for his Haul Road caribou hunt this year. After the first day his buddies stopped even trying to glass far away objects. When they spotted a likely lump far out they'd just wait for him to tell them what it was. When they looked they THOUGHT it was a caribou. When he looked he KNEW it was a rock. Not being a snob, but there's a BIG difference between $200 and $2000 optics and I'm not just talking about the price!

Brett

I still drool over the new Swaro glass but my FIL took my Minox HG's to Kodiak last year and this is certainly the best that he has used. He said essentially the same thing upon return. In fact he called the wife and asked to borrow them again this year since I am out of the country. I am not sure what he is going to do next year, but it may be time he buy his own! <grin>

2 years ago while heading out of the woods in near dark we bumped a bull off the trail. We were able to grab the rifles and get around for a look at him. I was able to clearly make out 2 brow tines on each side in my zeiss conquest 3-9's while my cousin with his older lower end scope could see little more than a dark shadow. My reticle also stands out great in low light on dark objects which is a key to making shots and I am routinely the last guy shooting if my budget scope friends and I go to the range late in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by 700sps View Post
    Well the title says it all,i need help choosing a scope for my 45-70.I wont be using it on any long range shots,any suggestions?
    For a leveraction 45/70 you'll not do better than a compact/ultralight 2.5X Leupold. It weighs 6 ounces ; place it in lightweight rings and you have an effective, durable, good handling combination. You could save some money by finding a used M8-4X somewhere. It is not as compact, but it would be very effective and cost half as much.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

...Killed 14 deer with it in one shot from 50 to 250 yards. It's never failed me.
    That is quite a feat. They must have been standing just so for the one bullet to kill them all...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    That is quite a feat. They must have been standing just so for the one bullet to kill them all...
    LOL, you beat me to it!

For what it's worth, I doubt I'll ever have the money for any of the high-end optics. To date I've never spent even $200 for a scope. The two best I've had were a Pentax Gameseeker 3-9X40, and my current favorite Redfield 3-9X40 with the accu-range reticle. The Redfield is mounted on My Marlin .243 and I am very happy with it. I'd highly recommend the new Redfields for anyone with a $100 to $200 budget.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    LOL.......oops!

JMO
    My $100 Bushnell on my Knight ML crapped out this year. It lost it's zero, then it wouldn't adjust accurately, then it lost it again, etc.

My $50 Tasco worked just fine until the reticule broke. It was on a boomer too...my Ruger 10/22.

I have 5 other rifles and all have Leupolds on them, Vari-XXX 3-9 Compact, Vari-XXX 2.5-8, VX-3 2.5-8, VX-3 3.5-10, and a Vari-XXX 8.5-25. These are mounted on 2 .22/250's, .243, .270, and a .300 WSM. Never a single failure. Do I spend too much on my scopes? Nope. Only when I bought the Bushnell and Tasco scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by 700sps View Post
    thanks for your info guys,i think im gonna go with the leverevolution specific scop.i like what i read on it and it's half off @cabela's website.
    I am picking up that same scope for my 45/70. WHY??? Because unless I am shooting over 100 or 150 yards I will be using open sights which is what this gun was designed for IMO. So I am going to put the LeverRev specific scope on it and just play with it at the range and see how it works. The scope will live in QD rings, likely in my pack almost all the time when I bring my 45/70. But if the shot is a ways out there I can slap on that 3-9 and see what she'll do. Othewise just stick with the open sights for the close shots. No need to setup the gun with open sights for up close and fast sight picture and then have the same for a scope. Get a scope with QDs that will work for a ways out there, if for nothing else fun to see what those leverrevs can do at 200 yards.