Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Meat Grinders?

Default Electric Meat Grinders?

What meat grinders are you useing? Pros/Cons

Looking at picking up a new electric grinder and am looking for some advice, size, brand ect.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    What meat grinders are you useing? Pros/Cons

Looking at picking up a new electric grinder and am looking for some advice, size, brand ect.

Thanks
    Lem makes a good one. The new models are better now with some new mods done to them. Old ones used to plug up I guess.The one I have isn't a Lem, but it looks very similar and works great. Sportsmans sells the Lem in several sizes and price ranges, but they all are good. I'd go with Lem if I had to upgrade my old unit.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Lem makes a good one. The new models are better now with some new mods done to them. Old ones used to plug up I guess.The one I have isn't a Lem, but it looks very similar and works great. Sportsmans sells the Lem in several sizes and price ranges, but they all are good. I'd go with Lem if I had to upgrade my old unit.
    We bought the Lem grinder w/ 3/4 horse motor from Sportsman. It worked quite well on our 2 moose. Though If I had to do it over again we'd go with the 1.5 horse just to speed up production.

I use a grinder attachment on my wifes kitchen aid mixer. It's a little slow and I wish it accepted larger slices to speed up the process, but it was a cheap attachment and is multipurpose.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

I picked one up from 3 Bears in the valley for $120- that Rick P. recommended. Can't remember the brand name but it's the only one they have.
    I wouldn't recommend it, it's loud and slow.
    Has anyone tried the Cabelas models or the ones that Alaska Butcher supply sells for $750-?
    BK

bkmail,

I've used the Cabela's Commercial grinder in both the 1 1/2 & 1 3/4 hp and they are quiet and fast, faster than you can feed the grinder, but the auger heats up and if you don't chill or partially freeze your meat some of the meat can bake on the base of the auger. It's no big deal but cleanup can require soaking of the auger.

I've looked at (top 3?) the Thunderbird TB300 1 hp ($899) at Alaska Butcher Supply, the 1 1/2 hp Lem ($750) at Sportsman's and the Cabela's Commercial 1 1/2 ($599 on sale). Trying to get some input on any and all grinders, but so far I'm leaning towards the Cabela's especially since their running a free shipping promo and their grinders are on sale as well.

Wait until you go to checkout and then all of a sudden the " free shipping" does not apply to alaska grrr! at least that is what it said for me

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Wait until you go to checkout and then all of a sudden the " free shipping" does not apply to alaska grrr! at least that is what it said for me
    Yep, that's what I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Yep, that's what I'm thinking.
    Just got off the phone with Cabela's and we qualify for the free shipping but still have to pay the $14 "oversize" surcharge which isn't bad for a 70lb grinder.

Cool......That ain't bad at all.

I'd go with the 1 1/2 hp Cabela's for sure. Don't see how you can go wrong.

Default bigger is better

Don't cheap out on motor size; bigger is WAY better.

I always run mine through the grinder twice; the second time it looks ten times better, and second time it grinds much faster since you don't have to take it apart every so long and pull out the sinew that is clogging the blade.

I've had a 1hp cabelas grinder for five years now. It has ground 25 moose. Flawless. I would recommend ordering a spare blade when you order the grinder. It's handy to just switch out the blade in the middle of a big grinding session and sharpen both blades once a year. You won't be unhappy with the cabelas grinder.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

I have the 3/4 hp Cabelas grinder and it works nicely for me. It grinds just slightly slower then I can feed it and it doesn't get hot. If you have more money to spend buy a larger model and try to keep up with it.

I use a Bass Pro (LEM in disquise) #12 grinder. It has handled everything I have thrown at it- deer, hogs, geese, & goat- without a hitch. Feeds at the correct rate & does not heat up like some of the others I have seen. The #12 is not a light weight (pounds & power), but fits my needs real well. I bought mine about 8 years ago. One thing I think everyone should do is buy a grinder just a little bigger than you think you need because once I got to using mine, I USED IT HARD!!!
    Used to use an Oster Kitchen Center my wife had when we got married. BOY, do I NOT miss those days.
    One word of warning- you will have so much fun with your grinder that you will start adding my meat processing 'toys'. Only thing I do not have right now is a slicer / saw, but ............................. HEY CHRISTMAS IS COMING!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    I use a Bass Pro (LEM in disquise) #12 grinder. It has handled everything I have thrown at it- deer, hogs, geese, & goat- without a hitch. Feeds at the correct rate & does not heat up like some of the others I have seen. The #12 is not a light weight (pounds & power), but fits my needs real well. I bought mine about 8 years ago. One thing I think everyone should do is buy a grinder just a little bigger than you think you need because once I got to using mine, I USED IT HARD!!!
    Used to use an Oster Kitchen Center my wife had when we got married. BOY, do I NOT miss those days.
    One word of warning- you will have so much fun with your grinder that you will start adding my meat processing 'toys'. Only thing I do not have right now is a slicer / saw, but ............................. HEY CHRISTMAS IS COMING!!!!!!
    Would having a reverse speed option be benificial? Cabela's 3 largest models have reverse, but LEM doesn't state having a reverse mode on their grinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    Would having a reverse speed option be benificial? Cabela's 3 largest models have reverse, but LEM doesn't state having a reverse mode on their grinders.
    Yes, reverse is useful. The sinew collects on the blade during the first grind, and reverse is what you use at that moment.

I will be buying a real grinder and chamber sealer down the road but I am curious if anyone uses the kitchen aid stand mixer attachment. Admittedly it would be pretty useless for moose but I would think that it would do good for making small production sausages. Especially using something like bunny or duck where you only have 5 or 10lbs.

LuJon,

You may have read it already, but Akbirdbrain replied in this thread about his Kitchen Aid grinder attachment. My friend has been useing his grinder attachment for four or five years and said it works good enough for what he does which is 4-6 deer a year. Also said it was slow but gets the job done and isn't bad due to the smaller batches he does.

I just bought the attachment for my Kitchen Aid, but I'm going to return it (still NIB) and get something more substantial. If your looking to buy one I'll sell you mine for what I paid and I'll throw in the stuffing tube kit ($9.99) for free as I threw the box away for the tubes.

The Kitchen Aid attachment is a joke. We'll use it every once in a while to grind a pound or so, but that's all it's good for. My wife bought an overpriced ($499 Chef's choice) supposedly 1 horse grinder from Allisaw cookwear and we haven't been happy. Thermal overload about every 10 lbs because the fan wasn't working right. I took it apart and got the fan working which then it will 20 lbs before overheating. I stuck it in the drill press, cut two 1 1/2" holes in the side of it and set it on top of a box fan to cool it. Presto, 200 lbs of burger with no re-sets as fast as you could feed the meat. Now, we wish we'd just spent the $799 on one from AK Butchers supply. I'm just going to modify this one to cool properly and keep on using it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast