Thread: Charters in ninilchik and homer

Default Charters in ninilchik and homer

Anyone fished with Ninilchik Saltwater Charters or Wildrose Charters? Let me know how they were. How's the first week of fishing in August out of Homer or ninilchik? There's also the large vessel overnight charter that I forgot the name but you get two limits of halibuts.. Anyone been on that one?

Default ninilchik

went with Chihuliy's(spelling) they were great

Talking Cook inlet

The charters mentioned are good. They have been around a long time with good return customers.
    I noticed you were planning your trip for August.
    my recomendations would be to not bother with cook inlet. You are going to get your one Halibut... and it that is what you are after.. ok,,
    but if you want to do more than that,, maybe try out Seward.
    in seward in August, you are going to fish for your Halibut, after you limit up on silvers, then you have the chance of catching Halibut , lingcod and rock fish.
    Yes the combo trip is more money, but If I am going out on the water I want to catch more than my one halibut, or have to stay overnight to catch two..
    here is what I got last August over in Seward with the family.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default hold the canoe

I hope your not implying that you can only catch one halibut in cook inlet in august and we don`t do combos.

Thumbs up That's a good lookin' mess of fish!

I'll bet those lings tasted good too.

Default oh yeah,, sorry

you are right,, August is two..
    sorry,, ,my bad
    We also caught,,,, but did not hang up, some bass and a couple more chicken Halibut. we should have put the whole bunch up on the rack, but the Capt'ns mate was already busy working on that tote of fish on the fillet table.
    again,, sorry for suggesting only one halibut .
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

To clarify. The proposed one fish limit for two week is June is only proposed. Everything I am hearing indicates it will not go into effect as they are studying the legalities. It is sad that people have heard this proposal and taken it as law. These rumors have spread throughout the lower 48 and I am sure the Charter Industry is going to feel the effects of this even though it hasnt become law. Alaskacanoe, dont you live up here? Havent you been reading this in the paper? It is far from a done deal. This has been discussed to death on this Forum.

There are Combo Trips on Cook Inlet and out of Homer. The question was asked about halibut. Yes the first week of August is a good time to fish out of Ninilchik. There is a better set of tides the week before and the week after though. And yes Ninilchik Saltwater Charters and Wildrose are both reputable businesses. I also saw Chihulys mentioned. They are very good as well.

Even though I am a charter I am not going to steer you to one area or another. At any one of them you could have a day of a lifetime. Pick what you are interested in doing and go for it. Good luck. I hope you hammer them and have a fun day on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by halibuthead View Post
    To clarify. The proposed one fish limit for two week is June is only proposed. Everything I am hearing indicates it will not go into effect as they are studying the legalities. It is sad that people have heard this proposal and taken it as law. These rumors have spread throughout the lower 48 and I am sure the Charter Industry is going to feel the effects of this even though it hasnt become law. Alaskacanoe, dont you live up here? Havent you been reading this in the paper? It is far from a done deal. This has been discussed to death on this Forum.

There are Combo Trips on Cook Inlet and out of Homer. The question was asked about halibut. Yes the first week of August is a good time to fish out of Ninilchik. There is a better set of tides the week before and the week after though. And yes Ninilchik Saltwater Charters and Wildrose are both reputable businesses. I also saw Chihulys mentioned. They are very good as well.

Even though I am a charter I am not going to steer you to one area or another. At any one of them you could have a day of a lifetime. Pick what you are interested in doing and go for it. Good luck. I hope you hammer them and have a fun day on the water.
    Thanks for everyone's input. I heard that halibuts are going to be everywhere, how about the salmon inside kachmack bay? Going out of homer a few captains in seward has said that there will be few salmon that time of year and captains in homer says there will be silver available.
    I understand both have their own interest and see each other as competitors. what do you guys think? Can we catch silvers or limit on silvers the first week of august?

They charge a little less in homer so it makes me wonder if maybe slow fishing is the reason why they don't charge as much as seward. Cause if i book a combo and only catch halibut then i might change my schedule and do two days out of seward and one out of homer instead.

They charge a little less in homer so it makes me wonder if maybe slow fishing is the reason why they don't charge as much as seward. Cause if i book a combo and only catch halibut then i might change my schedule and do two days out of seward and one out of homer instead.[/QUOTE]

It ain't slow fishing - They generally don't have to run as far (though sometimes they do) out of Homer to get into fish...with gas prices so high that's probably one of the reasons Homer is a tad cheaper. Might be more competition there, too, I'm not sure.

Here's a portion from first week of August's (2006) Dept. Fish of & Game fishing report for Homer:

* Halibut fishing in Lower Cook Inlet continues to be excellent.

Salmon

* At the Nick Dudiak Fishing Lagoon, fishing for silvers is hot. The best bite is on the flooding tide. Cured salmon eggs are the best bet when fishing the in-coming tide, herring also works. In slack water in the Lagoon, fish eggs and herring below a bobber. Silvers will be available in the Lagoon into September. Remember the fishing lagoon is closed to snagging of all species until further notice.

* King salmon fishing continues to be mediocre; however silver and pink salmon have arrived. Many fishermen are finding success for these salmon near Point Pogibshi, the Homer Bluffs, and in the middle of Cook Inlet.

So, you have not only the silvers available on the charter, but also some feeder kings, and just for fun, some pinks (pinks slower in odd years).

Plus, you can fish the lagoon, which is on the spit where all the boats are, in your "spare" time, if you want.

Several operators fish salmon all year round in Homer. I've been doing May halibut/king salmon combos out of there for 4 of the past 5 years (and a couple of March combos as well - yes, you can get chicken halibut that early) and always had a blast and caught bunches of fish - got two trips set up this coming May.

Take a look at northcountrycharters.com. I've used Richard Baltzer with them for several years. He's one of the year-round salmon fishermen. (Since I've been plugging Seward so hard, I figured I owed you one, Richard!)
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default homer silvers

The first part of august is the peck of the silver out of homer,and limits are common.Keep in mind, inside resurrection bay the limit is six salmon as cook inlet(homer) the limit is three.That being said the near shore silver fishery out of homer also provides a good chance at feeder king salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by fishon View Post
    The first part of august is the peck of the silver out of homer,and limits are common.Keep in mind, inside resurrection bay the limit is six salmon as cook inlet(homer) the limit is three.That being said the near shore silver fishery out of homer also provides a good chance at feeder king salmon.

The homer spit/lagoon.. i guess where the silvers might come back.. I heard that the fishing can be good there, would it be a good place to go? I would imagine that there will be a ton of people out there was well right?

Default spit lagoon

The lagoon is pretty much of a zoo,#s of people wise, but is still do able,if you watch and go with the flow.Combo charters out of the harbor are really quite popular and no crowds. Limit is three silvers, along with your halibut and a relatively good chance at a king salmon.