Thread: Fur Friendly 243 Win Bullets?

Default Fur Friendly 243 Win Bullets?

Not having much luck finding anyone with experience on this front elsewhere...

Anyone want to share which bullets at what velocity will work well on wolves without ruining the pelt?
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Hornady 58grain V-Max are quite good. Single entry hole and no ext on most species.

Used them also in 6mm with identical results.
    I give thanks to the vetrans, as they have aided in my priviledge to hunt and fish the great State of AK. and alow me to sleep safely at night.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    Not having much luck finding anyone with experience on this front elsewhere...

Anyone want to share which bullets at what velocity will work well on wolves without ruining the pelt?
    I'm going with 70 gr sierras for predators. These are factory loads and I've never been all that concerned with precise velocity. The gun shoots them very accurately, and that's good enough for me.

sierra game king 85gr HPBT. I have used this bullet on whitetails and coyotes, worked equally well for both. There was always an exit but nothing you couldn't sew up easily.

ONLY go with the Hornady 58grain V-Max !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used 85gr TSX with good results. I think because it is a "premium" bullet design, it has no time to expand before it passes through the entire animal. Additionally, I also have some 80gr FMJ's by Hornady but I have yet to shoot anything with them.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

What kind of velocities are you guys with the V-maxes shooting? I had decent luck with the V-max in my 22mag, but problems with the 223. I'm using Hornady FMJ's in the 6mm and hopefully will drop some fur here soon and be able to give some reports on fur damage results.

How do the Nosler 55 grain B-tips or 55 grain Sierra BlitzKing compare to the V-max?

I think I want to try something in the 55-58 range as well as the 90 Grain Sirocco II's as that's my go to for deer.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

The 55 grain Sierra Blitz King's are absolute tack drivers in my 243. If you hit body on a coyote at the 100 yard mark, they don't exit usually. Get off target though and the damage can be pretty extreme. I'd be afraid to use them on Fox or Lynx.