Thread: Ruger M77 MKII extended rings

Default Ruger M77 MKII extended rings

Well, I've had a number of M77 MKIIs, but never had this problem before. I have several "short tube" scopes to put on a long action M77 MKII and the ring spacing is too wide using the factory machined scope bases. So I need to find some sort of "extended" rings so these scopes will fit. Perhaps even an adapter for Weaver style rings. Has anyone found a fix for this problem? Thanks

I saw these in another thread:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/bases1.html#3

Ruger makes extended rings. They should work fine for most short tube applications.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Actually, the Ruger extended rings only work to bring the scope further back for correct eye relief, but they don't shorten the distance between front and rear rings. I was informed of this by Ruger earlier this morning.
    The Burris base, looks like the easiest fix even though you apparently must use the Burris Zee rings with them. Good marketing. Thanks for the help.

mauserboy

Brownells show offset Ruger rings. You must use a medium height front and the high offset rear. I was going to use this to mount a Leupold 2.5x on my tang safety 77, but it just fit with standard rings.

estate 1 069.jpgActually, if you use the offset on the front, and a standard on the rear, you can accommodate a shorter scope, and not move the eyepiece to the rear. It's a little high, but it works fine. The folks at Ruger apparently can't wrap their mind around this concept
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    estate 1 069.jpgActually, if you use the offset on the front, and a standard on the rear, you can accommodate a shorter scope, and not move the eyepiece to the rear. It's a little high, but it works fine. The folks at Ruger apparently can't wrap their mind around this concept
    Is that an extra high rear ring?

Weirdly, I was just handling my Ruger 10 minutes ago and thinking I would love to move the scope back 1/2" or so. It's a Leupold Compact 4X and "just" fits between the factory rings. I've used it for many years but have always wished it was a little further back.

I hate to complicate the scope mount system by adding the extra piece, but the Burris version looks like the ticket. I think you should be able to use most weaver rings. They just say "Burris Zee" because those the the weaver rings that they make.

Yk

Sorry not to get back sooner. Yes, if i use the extended ring in front and a standard in back, that set-up will work. The Burris to Ruger adapters apparently do need the Zee rings, not all weaver type rings will work. Excellent marketing ploy.
    Amazing how poorly Ruger advised me.