Thread: White mtn caribou

Default White mtn caribou

This is a hunt you don't hear much about... It starts the same day as the 40 mile hunt anyhow who here as done this hunt. When we got back from afghanistan we were going to do it but soon found out no sleds no hunting. This will be our back up plan if the 40 mile winter hunt is a bust. From what i heard this herd is way way off the road and a serious trip on sleds. Also Vince if you have any advice on this it will be greatly appreciated. Vince as you know is the GWH thanks again
    Last edited by 323; 11-18-2010 at 23:03. Reason: Bad grammar

I've tryed hunting this herd 4 times in the winter. twice went way, way, back in there & no caribou not evan a track.1 time we saw a bunch up by livengood but no way to get over to them.last time there wasn't enouf snow & saw none. most of the herd is on the north side of the whites ( F&G) thats 70-80miles of riding, but small bands do travel closer. best of luck if you do, i won't try for that bunch ever again. more caribou up the dalton & closer to the road

I hear about the same few sightings and way back in the whites, I never hunted this herd just because the 40 mile is easier and if all else fails up the dalton I shall travel especially now with the more animals you can harvest

The other issue is that the White's frequently don't have enough snow in December for good cross country travel. It also tends to have a very low quota. Last year it was 11 caribou.

I've notched my White Mt tag before, but wouldn't recommend it as a hunt for most people.

Yk

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Nothing from Me John.. every one else already said it... ya gotta go a long way and be willing to spend the time on them. i think there were less then 50 taken this fall season... Like the Delta herd in 20A they are in small groups spread over a large area..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wow talk about my friday be ruined

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Wow talk about my friday be ruined
    You needed a good dose of reality!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    You needed a good dose of reality!
    Ah **** the circus rolled in and the lead clown is on the loose

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Ah **** the circus rolled in and the lead clown is on the loose
    well it was YOUR mini their all riding...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    well it was YOUR mini their all riding...
    Hey Vince shouldn't you be out looking for caribou for us Valley trash enroute to your part of the state 1 December and bringing ft rich trailer park trash with us. We changed plans we are hitting the steese and staying in your front yard what more could you ask for

Hey Vince shouldn't you be out looking for caribou for us Valley trash enroute to your part of the state 1 December and bringing ft rich trailer park trash with us. We changed plans we are hitting the steece and staying in your front yard what more could you ask for
    bring plenty of ice for the beer... Fairbanks is running short..
    Thanks....

well have a party Oh since your all bringing Ford Focus's and your mini..... ya ll wont mind helping me move while you stay do ya? them valley folks your hauling along aught to be just what i need to figure out how to put the wheels back on the house and navigate it around to the other side of the gravel pit.

meet on face book here

I've run across White Mountain 'bou a few times. I think they are only visible to the human eye from about early spring through late July.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Passed on a couple we saw from the road one year, and then last year after missing out on the 40 mile hunt we tried to get in but then they closed it as the 40 mile herd was moving into the white mountains area (I think that was the reason any how). There are a few cabins to rent perhaps sled back into on and play around for a day or two I have crossed tracks a lot on the way into a cabin, and you can get some ptarmagin as well.