Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Need some tips(any info appreciated)

  1. #1
    Member 700sps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    northpole
    Posts
    36

    Default Need some tips(any info appreciated)

    I have naver bear baited in my life and i am going to start next year.I just wanted to know if anyone had some tips for me.Anything would be helpul.What kind of gun?How and where to set up a stand?What to use as bait?How do i know where to set everything up?Thanks for looking.

  2. #2
    Member GrizzlyH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 700sps View Post
    I have naver bear baited in my life and i am going to start next year.I just wanted to know if anyone had some tips for me.Anything would be helpul.What kind of gun?How and where to set up a stand?What to use as bait?How do i know where to set everything up?Thanks for looking.
    Only kidding you of course, but if ya wanna save money on bait, go deer hunting at Kodiac. Fire your gun and kill a deer. The bears will show up in droves......lol
    Take big gun!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anyway, welcome to the forum 700. Someone here I am sure will point you in the right direction and answer some of your questions.
    Good luck hunting and keep your ammo dry.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    499

    Default Tips

    I'm not an expert, last year was my first full spring of bear baiting. My best advice is make sure you are a mile away from any cabin, house, gas pad, any kind of human settlement because troopers will check and I actually got in some trouble for that reason. You also have to be a quarter mile away from any maintained trail, road, or highly traveled river. As far as stands go I used a big buddy ladder stand for 2 people and I really enjoyed it. Got plenty of room for 2 people, a nice shooting rail, and you can sit comfortably in it for 3 hours or more. Plus having someone besides you allows for some entertainment although I don't talk much because I like to listen to see if I can hear them coming and from what direction.
    As far as guns I would recommend something equivalent or bigger than a 30 ought 6. I use a .338 and dumped a blackie in one shot this spring. As far as scents go anything works, but I recommend hanging a scent ball at least 10 feet high between 2 trees as this will get the scent in the air and from my experience brings in a lot more bears. Make those trees big, because brownies will rip them down if they're less than 7 or 8 inches in diameter. As far as bait goes keep it simple, dog food, molasses, maybe some popcorn or donuts will work just fine.

  4. #4
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    Everything 33outdoorsman said is correct. I would think about a trail camera lets you what kind of bear you got coming in and time. Ive found if you use cover scent it makes difference in getting the bigger bear in the bait. For bait I dont like to use grease I know alot of people do and it works well but everytime Ive used it only got griz coming cool to watch but doesnt put meat on the table. Also Jess sells the bait ball the work great but like33outdoor said make sure they are high enough or you will come back to a rope haning HAHAH. Place to bait well Ive found next to a swamp/marsh and then find thick cover seems to work well. Hope this helps and welcome. Chris

  5. #5
    Member B&C 04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South for Now
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Stay away from any "meat" based baits ie beaver carcass and such. I thought I hit the ultimate jackpot using them and for awhile worked great UNTIL the brown's found them and then every site I had was non-huntable due to them camping out at the barrel...

  6. #6
    Member GrizzlyH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B&C 04 View Post
    Stay away from any "meat" based baits ie beaver carcass and such. I thought I hit the ultimate jackpot using them and for awhile worked great UNTIL the brown's found them and then every site I had was non-huntable due to them camping out at the barrel...
    That's the best info anyone could give. Good job.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

  7. #7

    Default

    I'd recommend doing some research online about both brown and black bears. Hunting in Alaska means you may encounter a brown bear so be sure you have some education on the topic - it could save your life. Amazon has some good books you can buy as does this site. Learn their habits, where they like to spend their time, what their typical behavior is and how to read them.

    Here are two links that will get you started:

    http://www.biggamehunt.net/articles/...-baiting-guide

    http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub...ear_Bait.shtml

    Next, learn the Alaska fish and game regulations regarding bear baiting and hunting. Know the difference between blacks and brown bears and make sure you can tell the difference regardless of color phase, time of day, and age. Fish and game has video's you can buy on judging moose and bear (I think they were $15). Shooting a brown over bait and out of season isn't a mistake you want to make. I'd also recommend reading the forums. Do a Google search for bear baiting and browse YouTube.. you'll be busy, there is tons of information out there. Remember though, we have brown bears so take precautions.

    Choose a spot you are interested in baiting and be sure you can legally bait there. Search the forums, maps, head out snow machining, etc. for more information. Aerial maps help if you can't get into the field right away. Pay attention to the wind currents - bear's have a great ability to smell things we can't. If your having an issue trying to figure out where to hunt try the local archery shops as most archers hunt and you'll find like minded people. I've developed many good friendships from archery shops around the nation over the last twenty years. If your lucky, you just may find a hunting partner to offset the work and costs. Baiting isn't cheap.

    Once you have an idea where your going to go, figure out what your going to use for bait. Secure your barrel to a tree with chain and put a 4-5" hole in the side so browns don't clean you out as quick. Keep them at your bait but don't let them clean you out. With a 4.5" hole I normally fill my barrel 3-4 times a week. I wouldn't recommend a plastic barrel, grease or high-protein baits (dog food/meat scraps). While not always the case, if you talk to hunters who have both used, and not used, grease and high-protein baits you will find that generally they will bring in more brown bears than blacks.

    I've seen a bait not touched by a squirrel let alone a bear for 2.5 weeks only to be hit 1 day after putting grease on it. Once hit, the browns set-up camp and took over the bait. You will find everyone has an opinion on this and not everyone has had the same thing happen to them. Personally, I don't use grease anymore. Find out what works best for you and use it. Popcorn, breads, pastry, syrup, honey, etc. are what I would recommend you start with.

    A few other points to consider: decide if your going to hunt from the ground or in a tree. If your going to hunt from a tree do you prefer a tree stand or ladder stand? Look into a good IR game camera. I own many; they are worth their weight in gold but are not created equal. Make sure you control your scent and use rubber gloves and boots. Many a bear has attempted to climb up a ladder/tree into a hunters stand and many more have lost their game camera's after getting bait scent on it checking for pictures. Last year a brown took one of mine down and I had 2000+ photo's of tree's and skyline.

    Hopefully this post helps. Baiting is hard work and is expensive but is worth the expierence IMO. Start doing your research now (setting aside money for the season) and you'll be ahead of the game. Good luck!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

  8. #8
    Member blasterak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    14A
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    I'd recommend doing some research online about both brown and black bears. Hunting in Alaska means you may encounter a brown bear so be sure you have some education on the topic - it could save your life. Amazon has some good books you can buy as does this site. Learn their habits, where they like to spend their time, what their typical behavior is and how to read them.

    Here are two links that will get you started:

    http://www.biggamehunt.net/articles/...-baiting-guide

    http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub...ear_Bait.shtml

    Next, learn the Alaska fish and game regulations regarding bear baiting and hunting. Know the difference between blacks and brown bears and make sure you can tell the difference regardless of color phase, time of day, and age. Fish and game has video's you can buy on judging moose and bear (I think they were $15). Shooting a brown over bait and out of season isn't a mistake you want to make. I'd also recommend reading the forums. Do a Google search for bear baiting and browse YouTube.. you'll be busy, there is tons of information out there. Remember though, we have brown bears so take precautions.

    Choose a spot you are interested in baiting and be sure you can legally bait there. Search the forums, maps, head out snow machining, etc. for more information. Aerial maps help if you can't get into the field right away. Pay attention to the wind currents - bear's have a great ability to smell things we can't. If your having an issue trying to figure out where to hunt try the local archery shops as most archers hunt and you'll find like minded people. I've developed many good friendships from archery shops around the nation over the last twenty years. If your lucky, you just may find a hunting partner to offset the work and costs. Baiting isn't cheap.

    Once you have an idea where your going to go, figure out what your going to use for bait. Secure your barrel to a tree with chain and put a 4-5" hole in the side so browns don't clean you out as quick. Keep them at your bait but don't let them clean you out. With a 4.5" hole I normally fill my barrel 3-4 times a week. I wouldn't recommend a plastic barrel, grease or high-protein baits (dog food/meat scraps). While not always the case, if you talk to hunters who have both used, and not used, grease and high-protein baits you will find that generally they will bring in more brown bears than blacks.

    I've seen a bait not touched by a squirrel let alone a bear for 2.5 weeks only to be hit 1 day after putting grease on it. Once hit, the browns set-up camp and took over the bait. You will find everyone has an opinion on this and not everyone has had the same thing happen to them. Personally, I don't use grease anymore. Find out what works best for you and use it. Popcorn, breads, pastry, syrup, honey, etc. are what I would recommend you start with.

    A few other points to consider: decide if your going to hunt from the ground or in a tree. If your going to hunt from a tree do you prefer a tree stand or ladder stand? Look into a good IR game camera. I own many; they are worth their weight in gold but are not created equal. Make sure you control your scent and use rubber gloves and boots. Many a bear has attempted to climb up a ladder/tree into a hunters stand and many more have lost their game camera's after getting bait scent on it checking for pictures. Last year a brown took one of mine down and I had 2000+ photo's of tree's and skyline.

    Hopefully this post helps. Baiting is hard work and is expensive but is worth the expierence IMO. Start doing your research now (setting aside money for the season) and you'll be ahead of the game. Good luck!
    Very good info ^^^
    I'd recommend same as above for bait, popcorn worked great for me. I've used dog food and it has brought in grizzlies, so I try to stay away from it. Last year near the end of the season I though I'd just try out some grease in my bait. As you would guess, a brownie came in, the only one I dealt with last year. I recommend no grease and no or limited amount of dog food but thats just me. Some guys like to use dog food and have good luck with it. I'd also check out Baitem907 scent products in Wasilla, they work great, Jess is great to deal with.

  9. #9
    Member baitem907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    425

    Default

    With the holidays approaching.... save the leftover pastries in the freezer for bait.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

  10. #10
    Member baitem907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Welcome to the club

    I hope some of this will help you out

    Barrels
    Metal is sturdy but can be crushed like a can. We prefer one metal barrel chained or cabled to a tree and two plastic barrels chained to t-posts.
    Barrel hole size 3.5" or less. You don't want a garage door unless you plan on feeding them daily.
    The plastic barrels have a 2 inch hole in each one. The bears use them like salt and pepper shakers. The smaller the hole, the more they have to work at it to get food.
    Hole placement is different for everyone. We prefer to place the hole either on the bottom or in the middle on the side. Holes placed on the top allow for rain to ruin your bait. Bears don't care for mold and move on.
    Chain or cable your barrel to a tree. Straps verses Brown Bear well BB wins.
    Placement of barrel. A lot of new people put their barrel hole facing directly at their stand. You want to make sure that you angle the barrel to allow a vital shot.

    Bait
    Popcorn is by far my favorite to use. Mix in some powdered sugar, jello (dry), koolaide (dry). Its light to carry, but very bulky. We opted never to use cob again. Lessoned learned… as bears like to pack it into the earth. You need and excavator and a magnifying glass to clean up your site.

    If using a scent ball hang it 12+ ft high. Best if hung between two trees on a cable. We were having problems with the bears climbing the tree and pulling it to one side of the cable. Well we have a remedy for that… tie a loop in the cable and knot it. Hang the ball from the loop.
    Preserve your scent ball by placing a 10" funnel on it. This keeps the rain and squirrels off it.
    Make up sweet concoctions - anything works… they're bears. Powdered sugar, vanilla and water = frosting. Easy to whip up a 5 gallon bucket

    Never touch your treecam after you have handled bait. Always use rubber gloves! Expensive lesson learned

    If you are worried about your human scent… take an extra t-shirt with you when you re-bait. Hang your sweaty t-shirt on a tree and change into you new one. Allow the bears to get used to your scent when you're not there.
    Get the musty smell out of your hunting clothes by placing them in unscented cat litter overnight. The charcoal takes the icky smell out.
    For smokers that smoke in their stand. Choose a pipe with cherry tobacco. Talk about a cover scent! Or you can take your butt can and add it to a mayo jar… fill with water and leave it at your station (hang it like the scent ball.. don't want to promote cancer out there)

    Always carry bear spray for those pesky lil cubs that want to climb your tree. You don't want to be in the middle of a domestic situation.

    Feel free to call anytime
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    43

    Default

    These are great tips thank you very much fellas. This will also be my first time. I will probably reread this thread several times before the season.

  12. #12
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    With the holidays approaching.... save the leftover pastries in the freezer for bait.
    shoot i just box mine up and stack it on the porch... when it begins to thaw.. WELL it's time to get baiting anyway..

    cardboard box witha trash bag in it make a great grease catch too... bacon, chicken.. whatever.. cool weather hardens it up.. and it dont spoil.. add a layer of beaver castor once in awhile.. and you got a great medium for scent trails in the spring..

    i have found that if there are Griz in the area.. they will hit your bait.. meat, oil, dry dog food. pop corn. if you have scent out they will find it.. and you HAVE to have sent out.. Grizz like sweets as much as the next bear.. the blackies will come in when the Grizz walks out.. in some cases small Grizz will share a bait or be pushed off by the black bears.

    fact is some areas... JUST have high populations of black bears with fewer Grizz and visa versa.. and some areas have moderate populations of both..

    find out what the bears in your area like and use it.. believe it or not... like people they too have varying taste preferences..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  13. #13
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 700sps View Post
    I have naver bear baited in my life and i am going to start next year.I just wanted to know if anyone had some tips for me.Anything would be helpul.What kind of gun?How and where to set up a stand?What to use as bait?How do i know where to set everything up?Thanks for looking.
    If you are in the North Pole area, drop me a PM. I may have an extra barrel. I could provide you with some information about the local area.

    Forgive me if I missed it, but you will need to attend the bear baiting class, it might be online now. That is a reqirement in some aras and will answer many of your questions.

    Be prepared for the bugs they are horrible in the spring in some places. A headnet and thermacell are worth their weight in gold. Be ready for them bugs or they will make you tap out.

    Good Luck

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  14. #14
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    If you are in the North Pole area, drop me a PM. I may have an extra barrel. I could provide you with some information about the local area.

    Forgive me if I missed it, but you will need to attend the bear baiting class, it might be online now. That is a reqirement in some aras and will answer many of your questions.

    Be prepared for the bugs they are horrible in the spring in some places. A headnet and thermacell are worth their weight in gold. Be ready for them bugs or they will make you tap out.

    Good Luck

    Steve
    OH YEAH ONE MORE REASON FOR A GROUND BLIND!

    the therma Cell works on windy days...

    no bugs in the blind what so ever..

    NONE! ZIP, NADA, ZILCH!!!!

    but JUSt try stepping out of it.. lol skeeters from hell..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  15. #15
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Oh, I like my ground blind, but some people are a little afraid to sit on the ground with the big bad bears.



    The wife is okay with being in the blind.



    It can get exciting at 10 steps.



    I thought Pops was going to let this one into the blind. His first time bear baiting and he brought a 4.5x10 scope. Every time he tried to get on him all he could see was black. I finally told him if he didn't shoot fast I was just going to hit him in the head with the but on my rifle. LOL



    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •