Thread: best for clearing a round from the chamber?

Default best for clearing a round from the chamber?

I want to be able to clear a round from the chamber without removing the rounds in the magazine. Who makes a lever action rifle, or a shotgun, that will allow you to just chamber a round when you need to, then clear it without cycling all the rounds through the gun? I do not want a round in the chamber when it is not needed. Bolt action rifles allow this to happen, but are there lever or pump guns that also can be used in that manner? I hope this is not a stupid question for this forum, and I have learned a lot from you guys in the past.

My Benelli Super Black Eagle does that. On levers, I just drop the lever to remove the chambered round, then shake out the one that is sitting on the follower. Those in the mag tube remain.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    My Benelli Super Black Eagle does that. On levers, I just drop the lever to remove the chambered round, then shake out the one that is sitting on the follower. Those in the mag tube remain.
    same thing I do on my 94

On my win 92, you can carefully drop the lever until the loaded round just clears the chamber, remove it, and then close the action without loading a fresh round. If I remember right the same can be done with a Rem 870. Some Browning Auto5s have a magazine cutoff lever that holds shells in the mag until you want them.

IIRC correctly with Marlin Levers you just need to keep pressure on the loading gate spring and then fully cycle the lever. The pressure on the gate should keep next round from going onto loading ramp.
    I need to try this tomorrow to be sure.

My Benelli M2 also can do this.

or a 1911 with crappy magazines

Any rifle with a removable box magazine would allow you to do this. Browning A-Bolt, Tikka T3 and AR variants come to mind.

hap

Browning BPS has a magazine cut-off also.

All the Browning designed Winchester levers can be cleared and leave the mag loaded. You can slowly open the bolt so the lifter doesnt raise, or just let it raise, then push it back down with your little finger or a cartridge, and close the action. Some do it smoother than others, a few seem effortless, some take a little careful wiggling of the lever to get them started, a few seem to not like it, but will do it with a little persuasion. They can be polished inside to help this.

The juggling act of shaking out the next feeding round is one of the things I don't like about Marlins. The Winchesters are just simpler to use for me, and this is one of the things that make them so. I hunt small game with rifles using light loads, leaving the mag loaded with full power stuff. The 1886 and 71 actions are slick as can be in this regard, as are my older Winchester 94's.