Thread: Paradise

Default Paradise

Has anyone ever taken the trail in off the Seward Hwy up Paradise Valley towards Paradise Lakes? I just saw the trail and cabins on the gazeteer, and thought it might be an interesting trip. Just wondering if anyone has any info on it?

Thanks.

Man, I've been looking at those trails/cabins for years and wondering as well. Let me know what you figure out. I've had some big plans to go explore it, but there are just so many trails to try - I haven't hit them all yet!

-Brian

Default Trails

Once found someone on this forum, when it was in it's older web page version, who emailed me about doing the hike, he said once was enough but I think it would be fun to bad there are too many things on the to do list. Maybe fall will stretch out this year?

Good Luck

Once I get my floatplane rating I'm thinking that I need to fly into the lake, check out the area around the cabins, and then maybe backtrack on the trail a ways to see how overgrown/impassible it might be.

-Brian

Well if you get in there let me know what it is like. We were thinking about taking the horses up there in July just to get out and see some country. Looks like the head of the valley would be just beautiful. Maybe I should check with some local fish and game or forest service folks...i am sure someone knows the area.

Haven't been up there in nearly 20 years, but the grayling fishing was (and from what I still hear IS) awesome. We got dropped off at one of the cabins by a buddies dad who had floats. We tried the trail for snicks and giggles...Impassable..Same buddy has been up there more recently and he says it's alomst impossible to even spot the trail any longer....

Well named location though...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Paradise Valley hike

It's a beautiful hike. It's also very tough. Take a good friend, because you'll be helping each other a lot, esp. over the dead tree falls after the beetle kill. Hiked it 3 summers ago and would go again. I've so far found only four ways to go in, esp. if you are talking about the North Fork of the Snow River that comes off the Paradise Lakes: hike up Ptarmigan Lake to top of valley, follow old game trails over the Snow River Pass (on any topo), fight the alder and spruce and marsh for hours on day 3 to Paradise Valley either above or along the River, march over the hemlock hump, and run down the rail bridge to the hiway. Second way, follow side of Sheep Mountain from railroad bed. in reverse of first hike. Third, float plane to Paradise Lake and walk out. Fourth, up Victor Creek and over mountain down to Paradise Valley; need crampons, ice axe and major conditioning.
    It's all bushwhacking, and all worth it.
    Now, I'm really tired.
    JJ

Default Timing

What would you say are some better times to try to get into one of the lakes (for fishing)?

Thanks

Not yet, but its included in my long-term plans.