Thread: zodiac floor

Default zodiac floor

I have an older zodiac boat that I got for a song.
    It didn't come with instructions but I can handle the inflation ok!...
    What is confusing me is the floor panels... There are four main panels (they are numbered) and two aluminum ribs that I guess are for holding everything together. Unfortunately even with the boat inflated the ribs don't stay in place and ther floor panels shift...
    (note: I'm not on the water while i'm fiddling with this).... Is there a proper proceedure?
    I'm thinking of just making a one pice floor as I don't really plan on taking this thing very far. It is basically intended as an escape vehicle to get me down river and into town in the event of an emergency..
    However.. i'd rather do it as correctly as i can.
    I will be returning from my homestead in about 5 days this is thursday the 18th).. I can furnish the model number etc then if need be...
    This seems like a cool little boat.. If I can just figure the floor out?

Thanks much y'all...

reuben..

I think you are missing a couple side brackets that the pontoons force against to hold the floor down. If what you have are just cross pieces you are missing the bow to stern pieces
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Can you post a photo of just the floor system? Hard to say what's going on without more details. As Amigo said, you might think you have the side braces, but they could be something else. Normally it is fairly difficult to assemble the floor system, because they build them snug. So this sloppy fit you're getting is strange. Could be the wrong size floor panels too... Anyway you should have three or four floor panels, that interlock into each other in a tongue-and-groove system of some kind, and two side braces that have a channel in each of them which is designed to span the length of your floor panels from front to back (not counting the front panel, which is triangular and follows the contour of the bow).

A photo or two would help greatly- especially if you can lay the floor components out so we can see what you have there. Maybe toss in a photo of one of the side braces too.

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I have a 15.5 Zodiac, im pretty sure there is 6 side rails, the thing that always confused me was that the ones at the front of the boat joined right where the floor panels joined, it just didn't make sense to have crack on crack, but it was the only way all would fit..
    Seems like we always fill the boat 2/3 full of air before installing the floor panels.
    Whatever you do,, do it exactly as it is supposed to be, everything must be exactly as was intended,, or the boat WILL!!! fold up on you..
    I know that for a fact,, and believe me the big Su is not the place to find this out..
    Making your own floor will not do.. I will try to look up where i bought some extra rails from, they don't cost that much.
    Marita in Anc. sells Zodiacs, i dang sure don't have any love for that place but they might be able to help you get things squared away..
    Here are a few pics i took just to refresh my memory of where each rail shoud go, maybe they will help,, maybe not..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another pic....Canot stress enough to get it exactly as factory intended good luck..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks much for all the help.. and the pics.. I have two aluminum rails (kinda V shaped, that look like the are supposed to lock into my plywood panels (I was thinking side panels, nbut they aren't quite long enough. There are also some shorter black rails that seem to be plastic. So far no combination works.
    As for floor panels, I have 4 that measure approx 37"x 24" , and a triangular one (for the front..duh)... I'm not sure this is complete but I couldn't turn down "free"..... It holds air and has two (very weathered oars)....
    I am going to throw a larger piece of plywood in to stabilize it. I need to cross the river with a few small loads. The river is really low and not moving very fast. I'd use the canoe but I have to transport dogs.

I've used rafts before years ago, but this is the first rigid(?) floor...I'm pretty good with lumber, and not a bad fabricator, and I think I can come up with a better floor.
    Honestly, I'm not impressed so far with the user friendliness of the factory model. I doubt the 8 year collewge men who design these things are really any smarter or gifted than most of us....
    Anywhoo... I'll take some pics, and be back in town in a week or so until then....

regards..

reuben...

I have been installing my from wooden bow board backwards.......if yours is correct....

dayum - maybe that is why I get center rise so much.....

that'll tell you how smart this ole boy is........

Thumbs up

That's too Funny...

One of my good customers that I did the armor coating floor and keel related stuff for on his Zodiac GR MK III - just sent me the identical pic.

Buy a boat for a song... gotta do the dance.

That said:

The 'Bow-Board' is permanently attached in the bow much like the 'Thrust-Board'.

Your Bow-Floor-Section-Board will generally go into the recess of the Bow-Board and then there should be either plastic fittings or tongue/groove fit so all runs flush w/ Thrust-Board.

Occasionally, you'll find the Thrust-Board ramping up somewhat on older boats. Meaning the front is several inches higher than the back portion of the Thrust-Board. Here you have little choice other than to place floor under it (or repair it).

In terms on stringers... yes you may need some as many boats are lacking the right number and/or proper fit. I like my recycled UMHW versions over original Aluminum.

In your Pic...

Thrust is the long board... bow is the little wedge up front --- Both are fixed w/ material.

The board of question is a front 'floor section board'.

She goes smooth side down w/ 1x2 or plastic fittings (sometimes clips) up. Otherwise you bang 'er up on the bottom nearest the thrust board... even more-so.