Thread: How do you call predators

Default How do you call predators

I've just started hunting predators in south central. the areas I have been I have seen a bunch of tracks but can't seems to call anything in I have a fox pro spitfire and a few other hand distess call. Any movie or books I have seen is just for the states any advice on how to call or any good books on Alaska hunting would be awsome. Thanks slot
    Austin

If you're watching the wind, staying quiet, and keeping your movement to the very minimum, you're doing things right. How many stands have you made and not seen anything? If you're seeing fresh sign, you have animals in the area, so keep at it and you'll get a taker one of these stands. Don't be frustrated if one comes flying in and leaves just as quick without being able to get a shot off. Make sure to sit with your rifle pointed in the direction you expect an animal to come from. Use a bi-pod if you want, they help keep the gun in the right direction and keep you from having to lift it up and make more movement. However, bi-pods can at times be a curse if an animal comes in close and you have to get a really quick shot off. Clear all sticks away from you and try to sit with a bit of brush around you to help break up your profile more. I hope you get one soon, it'll come together for you, don't worry.

Glad you posted this question. I am new as well to this. I picked up the KiYi. I practice distress calls in the truck on the way to work (driving alone =) Hope to take the show to the field soon. Good luck with it.

I have made 6 stands In one area I sit for at least 30 mins at a time because I'm in an area with lots of wood so I'm scared to move and see them run. I diff. Need to get a bipod don't have one of thoses yet.

It sounds like you're doing things right, just sounds like when you're there, the animals aren't within ear shot of your sounds. Have you tried calling at all times of the day? Sometimes certain spots produce more in the morning/afternoon times and others later in the evening. I pretty much stick to rabbit distress sounds, unless I know I'm in a coyote area. I'd rather not spook a fox out of the area with coyote vocals if at all possible. Are you pausing and playing your FoxPro, or are you running the sound continuous? I haven't seen a big difference between pause and play and continuous playing, except that when an animal comes in to the continuous sound, they don't tend to stop as often, which makes for more difficult shooting. I will usually squeak with my lips to stop an animal if it's coming in too fast though, so I can get a shot. You're doing things right, don't give up.

Cup your hands over your mouth, and then take a deep breath

and say "here kitty kitty kitty" over and over.

Work for me when I'm trying to find the predators around my house.

Well I had my shot today I missed at about 100yds he prolly would of kept coming in but I couldn't wait. I used a hare call then switched to the cotton tail I looked one way and looked back he was running right for the call. I ran the player for about 8 mins at a time then try and listen. But I'll try again in the morning

Now you're getting it, good job. I'm assuming you had a Fox come in on you? They'll usually try to get in front of the speaker and head for the sound. If there's a trail nearby though, they'll usually take that, since it's the path of least resistance. I like to set up so my view doesn't require much head movement. I let my eyes do the scanning and move my head very little.

It was a coyote he just came in I the wind in favor of me

Sounds like you are getting it. If i call heavly hunted areas i like to switch things up and use a none rabbit sound. I really like Lucky bird on the foxpro. The coyotes and lynx love it! Hillbilly