Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covering traps? Does it matter? Firming snares in place? Plus some basic questions.

Default Covering traps? Does it matter? Firming snares in place? Plus some basic questions.

I'm new to AK, I've been trapping in WA/ID for about 20 years. Since the season started I've learned so much about trapping in cold, snowy weather. I had a fox step on the pan of a trap yesterday and leave a nice little print but no "snap". 1/2" of hard crust over the top. Today I got 3 squirrels in marten sets, and one snow shoe in a lynx set, no big fur bearers yet. I'm going to set out toward Glennallen this weekend. Hope to get in 10 quaility cat sets and 20 marten poles.

Questions - Do you cover the pan of your traps? All animals?

Plus I'm just really learning snaring, didn't do much in lower 48 for some reason. How or what do you use do to keep the animal from just pushing them to the side? I don't want to wrap wire them in place so the animal cant push through but I can't just leave it hanging? Little frustrated with my snares. I had a fox push past one this week, snare turned sideways.

Question - I'm using rabbit for bait for cat and marten, I don't have any good beaver sets so what else are you guys using for bait? Do you ever just use lure for cat? In WA/ID I always used cubbies with a whole or half beaver carcas, but I also got 15-25 beaver a year (then I stopped trapping them after the first week of the season because it just became work).

Anyway cant wait to run into some of you out on the trail, its all about having fun!

thanks

Chris

I use a feather to draw intrest and I hate to say it but peanut butter for their nose.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    Anyway cant wait to run into some of you out on the trail, its all about having fun!

thanks

Chris
    It can be "all about fun" but I better not "run into you" on the trail....just ask anyone. I aint nice if you're trapping even remotely close to me!

PS. Wax paper or coffee filters keep your pan from freezing.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Hi Chris, as far as bait, hare works "ok" but just doesn't offer the smell that you would get with other baits. In a pinch it works ok, mosty as a visual though. If you can get your hands on some birds (remember to breast them) and get them stinky by leaving them around a heat source for just a few days it will greatly increase your catches. Take the wings of the ducks or grouse and spread them out and tack them to some plywood to dry to use as attractors for cats and marten. I usually slice the meaty part of the wing and rub in some Borax to help dry them up a bit. You can attatch a swivel and some wire to hang them at your sets. Of coarse moose/caribou scraps, bones, hides and heads make terrific baits also. Look for left overs in the ditches as you travel the highways or scoop up the parts up from people you know who may be butchering, worth your freezer space in the fall and then once the bugs are gone, take them out to start the stink process. As far as coverinig your traps, I only cover my k9 sets but sometimes if I have a alot of fox traveling around my cat cubbys I will cover some of my cat traps. I have tried many things over the years and keep going back to good old wax paper for a trap cover. Make sure to crumple/ball it up and then spread it back out before covering your trap. Try not to use your bare hands in doing this as it leaves too much human sent in my opinion. Now, as for trapping towards Glennallen, please take the time to see if anyone is trapping whereever you plan on setting traps. I can tell you that from Long Lake to Glennallen (and past) is chocked FULL of trappers. Both weekenders and locals who make a living in the winter trapping. I trap along with MANY others trap the Lake Louise area also. Might want to see if you can run someones trapline with them and see if they wil teach and let you make a couple of sets untill you find and open spot. Cats in my opinion have peaked out last year so expect their numbers to start to drop quickly as the hare population does the same. K9's though seem to be on the increase so no worries there. Hope this helps, and good luck out there!

All good advice, please keep posting with tips.
    Mark, good pics and thanks again for the lessons.
    BK

Thanks for the advice guys, I have been in the woods for a long time and realize not to trap/set on anyone elseís sets. I figure I have to just get out and start putting the miles in to find area. No one wants anyone new to start trapping in an area; it spites a feeling of competition and crowdedness. With that being said I have 160 miles of road that I'm working toward Glennallen, a pair of cross country skis and snowshoes. My average cat set is 1/2 mile off of the rd, I'm not afraid to put the miles in. If I said I was going to work a 160 mile section of rd. toward Fairbanks I would get people saying the same thing. So once again, thanks and hope to see some of you guys out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    It can be "all about fun" but I better not "run into you" on the trail....just ask anyone. I aint nice if you're trapping even remotely close to me!

PS. Wax paper or coffee filters keep your pan from freezing.
    Thatís okay I'm not the nicest guy in a confrontation, just look for the guy that is 6'4, 235 pounds with a 2" scare on the left side of his face and talking to himself, thatís me, I like to make new friends also. Hope to see you out there.

Teach, thats ok....the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Besides....the only time I'd get remotely concerned is if you started answering yourself...
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    Thatís okay I'm not the nicest guy in a confrontation, just look for the guy that is 6'4, 235 pounds with a 2" scare on the left side of his face and talking to himself, thatís me, I like to make new friends also. Hope to see you out there.
    Man, Id rather run into you Teach on the trail then whos with Huntress on the trail. Arms are as big as my thighs and 6'9. Your a baby lol
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Man, Id rather run into you Teach on the trail then whos with Huntress on the trail. Arms are as big as my thighs and 6'9. Your a baby lol
    thats funny

It's ok Teach, all in fun....

Hey Teach, you said something about heading up to Glennallen to trap this next week, what unit are you currently trapping in? Maybe you'd be interested in attending an AFTA meeting the first Tuesday of each month in Palmer. Would be a good way to get to know other trappers in the area instead of running into them on the trail....Each meeting has a different educational seminar.

Google up the Snare Shop. Get their catalog. Cruise thru www.trapperman.com.
    Don't need to cover lynx/marten traps. Even a fair number of fox will step in an open trap.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Good advice from previous posts. Lots to learn from here and trapperman. I agree with the use of wings for bait for lynx. I dont use any type of meat or scent. just a wing hanging in the back of the cubby. Maybe a CD hanging over the trail to attract them from a distance. Also i dont cover the trap it seems to keep the k-9 out. I noticed you said you caught a rabbit in a cubby. remember to use dead wood to make your cubbies because the rabbits will come to eat the bark off of the fresh cut stuff and you will end up with tripped traps or maybe an Alaskan toothpick.

I also had never snared much until i moved to Alaska. Put a very small twig sticking up under the snare to get them to lift their heads up. If you put up some small branches on the edges of your snares it helps funnel them in. Good luck this season. Hillbilly

Huntress,
    Can you expand more on the AFTA meeting times, location and any fees involved to attend. I'm interested and maybe others are too.
    Thaks,
    BK

Sure BK! They are the first Tuesday of each month at the Palmer Library. Starting at about 6PM with a swap & sell...meeting starts at 7pm. There are no fees for attending, you are welcome to join the trappers association but it's not a requirement. The group is made up of both AFTA and ATA folks, so I find that you get the best of both worlds when it comes to being kept up to snuff with the current events. They have some sort of seminar each month. This month was beaver skinning, next month I believe is beaver trapping, January is Wolf Trapping etc.....(someone feel free to correct me here if I have them backwards).....

Thanks for all the info, I have been using a chin lifter under my snares, I ended up not being able to head up north this weekend. I'm living in Wasilla and was told about the meeting last month but didn't make it.

thanks again for all the info.

P.S. checked a couple set tonight before dark and just more squirrels, I really need to get farther out into a more marten dense area.

Thanks for the info Huntress. I just moved here and am looking at becoming a trapper; never trapped in my life. I've always been a big hunter and trapping has been a dream, going to start living it here now that I moved and I'm sure these meetings will be advantageous. Thanks a bunch for the info here. Any tips he didn't ask for that are "common-trapper-sense" are welcome too

Default critique snare pics

It seems ever time I go into and area to check my sets I make more, new sign, and or just have a few extra minutes. Most of my sets are walk in, some up to a mile loop so there is plenty of teritory. Snaring is still bothering me a bit, I'm mostly using 10' welded, 3/32, amber loc, cam loc snares, light wolf snares, and I'm anchoring high, above 5' if possible. I figure I should be able to get a lynx, coyote or maybe even a fox in them and if a wolverine or a wolf comes around I could anchor them aswell. The sets are about 6" - 7" off the ground with a 7-9" loop, I have a 5" chin lifter under them, about the size of a pencil.

Take a look at these pics and please critique, I'm a big boy I can handle it

thanks

with all that being said I can't seem to insert the images, I just have them on my computer not as a link, help please

It is not practical or effective to set one snare for several different species. Cable sizes, loop sizes, and loop height are different for each species. Some animals bust right down the trail and some sneak. The heavier cable for wolf /wolverine is too heavy for fox and lynx.
    1/16th for fox/lynx. 5/64th for yotes. 3/32nd for wolf/wolverine.
    Snareshop makes wolf snares out of 1/8th 7x7. They are good.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

You dont think its possible to get fox or lynx in 3/32 in a cam snare, they slide quick and easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast