Thread: Late season Kenai Mtn Bou suggestions

Default Late season Kenai Mtn Bou suggestions

Tried for Kenai Mtn bou twice in August from two different directions without success. Had a long and expensive camping trip barely disguised as a sheep hunt for much of September. Took October off due to the rut as I would like the meat to be edible. Now I am hoping to salvage what has been a somewhat dismal hunting season. I am open to any suggestions for success in November/December.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

I got nothin. I keep thinking about my tag but I don't see it getting used even if I did get home next month. I should probably just click "did not hunt" on the fish and feathers website and be done with it.

Do you have a snow machine & and sled & binoculars.........? I have been waiting for cold to harvest a cow as I'll need to just cache the meat in the barn, for daily consumption.

I didn't think that area is open to sno-go, am i wrong?

it opens to snowmachines when and if there is sufficient snow to protect the ground cover.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Resurrection trail is closed to snowmobiles this winter season. I'm thinking of Palmer Creek road or going in on the Summit trail once it opens. Good luck.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

I have a buddy ready and willing to help with a snowmachine when and if it becomes legal. Have most of the caribou migrated over to the west side of the range yet or are there still some available from the east side?

I tried Summit trail a few years back and was not able to make it in because of an avalanche being in the way the trail was usable but it is steep I would suggest briinging a set of snoshoes with so you can walk a trail in front of your sled if need be. It is a short trail in and was fairly easy going once you go a few miles it flatens out we just couldnt make it that far because of the avalanche that blocked the path. Good luck on the hunt.

A friend and I might be going in on skis next month to hunt his tag if we can find the time. The chances of success wouldn't be high (they never are with this hunt), but if we spend a weekend making turns and chasing ptarmigan, it'll still be a great time. And who knows? It sure would be cool to ski out of the mountains with a caribou in the pulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    A friend and I might be going in on skis next month to hunt his tag if we can find the time. The chances of success wouldn't be high (they never are with this hunt), but if we spend a weekend making turns and chasing ptarmigan, it'll still be a great time. And who knows? It sure would be cool to ski out of the mountains with a caribou in the pulk.
    That sounds like a lot of fun actually. It would be crazy expensive for me to try that though since I don't own skis or a pulk.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    it opens to snowmachines when and if there is sufficient snow to protect the ground cover.
    Homerdave: Remember when I said to you don't worry about the locals in Hope, Alaska killing a lot of Caribou under the new subsistence permit thingie. Well they gave us 25 permits, and one Caribou has been harvested. I've been waiting for the snow & cold to drive up in the Super Wide Track & and bring one back whole, so I can use the gut pile.