Thread: Video of our Delta Youth Hunt

Default Video of our Delta Youth Hunt

I tried uploading this video from town, but it had sound issues. Somebody mentioned it could be ACS, and I believe them now as I'm up in Prudhoe and can get the video to download correctly onto Youtube now.

Anyhow, here is my neice, Sydney, on her first hunt. Quite the way to start out hunting by taking a moose! My brother, dad and I accompanied her on the hunt.

We did make one mistake on this hunt, and it was by not having her wear ear protection. Lesson learned and we get a reminder each time we watch the video. It is our responsibility to make sure they are safe out there, and that includes ear protection and gun safety. You can see a couple times where she whips around pretty quick with the rifle, and we made sure to point out the little things and help her start good habits. She took the first shot, and as the moose was heading for the treeline my brother took a backup shot that hit her in the spine a little back. Sydney took the third shot, but as you can see the moose was already starting to fall. My brother rang out a final shot as the moose was falling shortly after Sydney's shot.

We are really hoping either her younger sister or one of my daughters pulls this tag in the future, because Sydney would love to guide them. She was a real trooper on this hunt and was a pleasure to be in the field with.

I can't remember how to embed the video into this thread, so if somebody could do that for me I would appreciate it. Here is the link. I also included a link to the bull moose I called in up north while looking for grizzlies along the pipeline. I played a little too much with him and he decided to charge. We had all sorts of fun with moose this year, definately a season to remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9RxaN4RJYI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qO_ImqKEbc

Here ya go!

Great video! I can't wait till I get to do the same with my 3 boys!!

I had my earbuds in as I watched... I can't hear anything either!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I mean there was sound on the video, but now I can't hear anything.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I also had to put in earbuds to hear anything at all.

I LOVE the little red wagon.

Thanks Lujon. Sorry about the sound again, I'm not sure why it is so quiet this time. The last time the sound started out a second or so slow, and by the end of the video the sound was about a half minute off.

The shots are pretty loud when you have the volume cranked up to hear the talking.

The wagon was a cool idea, but didn't work too well where we shot the moose. They had turned up the ground and the dirt clumps were too large for it to be effective. Once we got it to the smoother ground, it wasn't as bad. Sydney was a real trooper though, she was hung up pretty good and wore herself out tugging on that thing.

Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate the way you got Sydney involved in all aspects of the hunt. I've seen too many parents utilize this sort of youth hunt as just another chance for them to have a limited opportunity for a harvest, completely neglecting the point of such a hunt; to educate our youth and expose them to hunting at its finest. Great to see her helping with the field dressing, packing (with the wagon, love it!) and processing her kill.

GREAT JOB SYDNEY!

We were hoping that Tim with Alaska Outdoors TV video the hunt for his show, but he had a commitment that arose and he couldn't make it. Talk about missing a great opportunity. Besides a little fog early in the morning before we shot the moose, the weather was perfect, lots and lots of moose, easy flat land to move around on, and the moose were somewhat spooky, but it wasn't that difficult to get close enough for a shot. Would have made for a great show.

That's a shame that some people would utilize a youth hunt in such a way. Granted we could have taken her several other places and done the same thing, but there is something about winning a drawing and having an opportunity like this specifically designed for the youth.

Jerod, That was fantastic!!!!

I also had my ear-buds in and suffered some hearing loss when the shooting started.

The only thing better than actually being a part of that hunt is to have the video to share for generations. I know exactly how your brother felt this year, experiencing it with the kiddos can make a sissy out of the toughest guys out there.

I wish I could figure out how to post video here. I've got some of this years hunt with my son...No kill shots as I was the back up shooter and chose to watch through my scope lens just in case he needed help, plenty of film from after though.

It's good that you were able to chronicle that hunt for your niece...It is priceless.

Again good job and thanks for posting.

That was fantastic My wife and I are going to start trying for our first kid and I hope to someday pass on a tradition to my kids that has been handed down to me from generations past.
    Great job Sydney good shootin'

Okay guys, crank up the volume to hear us talk, but at 4:10 turn it down for the gunshots.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll make sure Sydney gets to see them.

Sydney, congratulations in harvesting your first moose! I'll bet some of the boys at school think your even cooler than ever!

What is your favorite moose meat recipe Sydney?

Great job on the video and congrats on the moose, im so glad that there are speacial hunts like that for youth only, you have a hooked hunter there! sydney you did great!

Thanks for sharing. What a wonderful hunt for a young hunter. Congrats on the success.