Thread: Stuffing the Bow

Thumbs up Stuffing the Bow

Did this sort of thing happen in Passage Canal this last summer with a Thunder Jet? Good read and lessons learned.

http://www.boattest.com/Resources/vi...px?NewsID=4359

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I don't know about a Thunderjet but I have stuffed the bow of my Trophy a few times in Passage canal. just a matter of paying attention and slowing down in my case.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I thought I remembered a Thunderjet swamping in Passage Canal two years ago. A dad and two kids got plucked out of the water if I remember correctly.

I made it out exactly once last year.
    And didn't catch a dang thing.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

I don't know about the Thunder Jet either, but I'd like to say thanks for the boating lesson. That was a good write-up.

Excellent read and a good one for anyone who goes out in anything but calm seas to read too.

The one time I've been in large following seas with my current boat I had a situation like this start to happen while transiting to deer camp. The seas were built higher than usual because of various reefs in the area.

In my situation I opted to power out hard while turning to port (same angles as in the pictured boat). Because of the sea size compared to the size of my boat, I DID NOT want to end up sideways in the trough. Being able to recover the way I did is a good testiment for having a strong motor. After the correction I trimmed the motor up a little more and only rode down waves that weren't as large. If I began to crest a wave that I felt was too large, I backed off on my speed and let her lead the way until the face diminished in height. It meant slower progress, but it was safer.

I learned a lot more about my boat's capabilities that day.....nice water tight bow, cuddy hatch kept the water out, self bailing deck worked well, Etec 250 was more than capable, and the seat, wheel, and throttle positioning helped keep me from getting too worn down after an hour of hard driving and another couple hours of moderate driving in rough seas.

I enjoyed this read as well, and passed the article on to several friends. The thing that it underscored for me was not to how to get out of a bad situation, but to avoid getting into one in the first place. This reminded me more of the situation at Aialik Point than Passage Canal.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

This did happen in Cook Inlet about three years ago in a 20' river boat. The seas were really steep coming out of the north about 3 footers a small boat was headed in and stuffed the bow under and it never came up they had no time to send out a call for help and they got lucky when two charter boats came up on them holding onto a cooler. It also happened a year or two before that in Cook inlet also a boat stuffed the bow and sunk they got lucky because a small child was looking out at the water with binos and seen the men in the water the kids mom called the tractor launchers and they put out a radio call a boat was close by and picked them out and all survived. In both cases I was on the water and it was bad but not too bad either day, both boats should have handled the water they were in it was just a case of not knowing how to handle your boat in the conditions or being careless and over confident.
    You spend enough time on the water and you will have stories. you can do your best to dodge it but at some point the weather WILL get ya. Its a good idea to take your boat out on days that are not perfect to learn how it handles when you get cought in the weather. Too many people are lost due to not knowing how to handle a boat in rough seas and not knowing when its a good time to hide from the weather. Its better to be late arriving than never arriving at all.

So... Whats the best way to avoid this?? Was out the other week and started to feel this happening on my 26 Olympic. Wasnt close but did not like the feel of it. Bow steer was happening also.

One thing the article did not mention was that the Capt was tossed over the side hit his head on the rail and died .
    They had a write up on it on yachtforums from one of the Capts there that knew him.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by catch n ship View Post
    So... Whats the best way to avoid this?? Was out the other week and started to feel this happening on my 26 Olympic. Wasnt close but did not like the feel of it. Bow steer was happening also.
    The best way to keep this from happening is to take your time. When you get into a hurry this is the outcome also use your throttles "A LOT" in rough seas you are always adjusting your power. Also dont bow directly into the wave go over them at a little of an angle. If you go directly into them your boat is following the water and on the steep waves your boat goes steeper as well. If you take them at an angle it is like sidehilling a steep mountain it makes it easier and flater to deal with. Then you have to watch the waves in front of you and when you do you will notice that some waves will "stand" up meaning that the wave you are headed at will get really steep when this happens stay just behind the top of the wave you are on and let the one infront lay down it will naturally get so it is not so steep once it lays down then just power the boat over the wave you are on because the one you are on will become the next steep one. (wow I hope that is not too confusing if you need me to try and explain it better I will try on a computer I cant use my hands to talk)
    When you get bow steer which is normal, it is because the boat has more water on one side or the other meaning you are not headed perfectly perpindicular to the wave and that is a good thing. When your bow starts to push one way or the other turn into the push and follow the wave dont try and power through it you will push the bow under but rather give enough power to follow the wave. The wave will lay down infront of you and you can keep on your way with no problems. When you first start running in rough water it can be a little unnerving but once you learn what to expect and know what your boat can handle its not too bad. The biggest thing is just dont get into a hurry
    Hope this helps

Not that this was the case of the boat in the story, but when the sticker next to my trim tabs buttons say to not use tabs in the down position during a following sea, then this is why.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    When you get bow steer which is normal, it is because the boat has more water on one side or the other meaning you are not headed perfectly perpindicular to the wave and that is a good thing. Hope this helps
    Not sure I totally agree with that statement. You can also get it when your boat hull length is longer than the period (distance between wave crests). This happens most often when tide is running against the wind.

This generally produces an very unconfortable yaw and pitch in the trough and accompanying sphincter tightening. Been there more times that I'd like. I find I have to power into the wave in front to keep from further yawing.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post

This generally produces an very unconfortable yaw and pitch in the trough and accompanying sphincter tightening. Been there more times that I'd like. I find I have to power into the wave in front to keep from further yawing.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say in my post but it may not have come through on my explinaton correctly. I find it is a lot easer to DO or SHOW than to TELL someone how to do something expecially in writing.

I'm not an english major either.

Or as Bones used to say on Star Trek - "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a poet"

^^^^nerd^^^^^

<grin>

If you have been out on Cook Inlet with an out going tide and south winds, then you know the pucker factor!!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Was that a moderator calling someone else a nerd?