Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest pics, major snowfall, caught another wolf

Default Latest pics, major snowfall, caught another wolf

Getting hammered by snow, got 8" of cold -10 dense snow and blizzard conditions this past weekend, started to break out some of the flats trails:

Yesterday I went downriver again, was about -12 and pretty slow going. A few miles downriver at the mouth of a little tributary creek I have a big critter set. It's the skinned out head of a moose, have several dried ones here I use for trapping, either dip them in real smelly foul bait or stuff in some rotted bait in the nose section, wire that to a tree then set around it.

This one has a #9 and a #3 jump and one snare. Was pretty surprised to walk up and find this guy:

Looks like he had got caught in the snare, then tripped the leghold traps, as they were both tripped. You can see the moosehead hide hanging behind him.

About 30 yards back to the rig, he has to weigh a good 100lbs:

Left the wolf there to go farther downriver, broke out this cutoff flat, still pretty rough going:

Molly, my leader, will run off to the side of the trail instead of down in the rut that is the toboggan trail, which can make things a pain cuz the rig wants to go in the rut and not where the dogs are.

Picked up the wolf on the way back and the dogs didn't care much at all for the extra weight in the rig, don't think we were going faster than walking speed the rest of the way home.

that's a beauty of a wolf mark. Makes me wish I had set some larger traps. But I will have to be happy with fox and martin for now. I really like the lighter colored wolves.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

congrats looks like youre having a good season so far between the wolves and gulo. How was the fur on that one? in the second pic the back half looks like it has a little mange or was that from where it got frozen down?

Very Nice, Thanks for the pics, That's a Really Good Day there

Wish I Was Up There, Really

Full on Winter Awww, I miss it
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Working on fleshing the 2nd wolverine:

Grandma Lori with 1st wolf and 1st wolverine. That 1st wolverine is a big guy, 50" from nose to tip of tail:

We got dumped on with 8 more inches of snow last night, still coming down this morning.

Hoping the wolf thaws out enough to start skinning that out later today, body was not frozen but legs and head were. It's hanging in the arctic entry now, hide looks fine after getting it in and brushing it out a bit...it did look rough to me too at first after lying there in the snow. I've never caught a gray phase wolf up here before, most all of our wolves are black.

Looks like it's gonna be a go now to start getting the overland trapping trails in after breaking out the other two river lines. Doggies ain't gonna be happy with 16" of new snow upriver, not typical for us to get this much snow so fast.

Best to all,

Great story and photos Bushrat, thanks for sharing. I'm hoping Fairbanks gets a dumping of fresh snow here for a weekend of predator hunting.

We are suppose to get more snow tonight I got hot on a trail of a pack of wolves 3 or 4 from the tracks in between here and Nenna on my day off on Monday but they went out on the river and It was still open in alot of spots so I wasnt going to go on there with the snowmachine just yet.

Ever concider writeing a book so folks and youngsters can see the old Alaska (pioneer) life can still be had and it ain't all big cities and bright lights.I pray that they are still young folks out there willing to do the work needed and long for the independant way of life.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I am just curious as I don't trap myself (better money in being a mercenary ) but with a big snow like that I imagine that you would get pretty significant returns shortly after breaking in a trail due to the animals using your trapping trail to ease their travel.

no, I am not really a merc <grin>

Mark,

Thanks again for the stories and pics. You never fail to deliver! I have to agree with Amigo, you writing a book would be amazing!
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Thanks for the pics Mark.

Great pics! Keep 'em coming.

Looks like your season is starting off great Mark, congrats! Terrible early ground condtions along with non primed up fur has kept me from laying any steel out yet but plan on hitting it real hard Thanksgiving weekend. Don't have dogs (been there, done that,lol) so I have been tearing out and rebuilding suspensions on the machines, getting my bait stinky and boiling up snares. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

once again, awsome pics mark...nice dog too. just blacks normally huh?...funny how some genetics hold strong color dominance...maybe a lone satelite male from a distant pack?

Mark, I always look forward to your posts. Thank you sir for sharing! Hillbilly

A big critter set would be wolf and wolverine in your area, right? So why the #3 jump. Be a shame to have a wolf in the 3 and get away.
    Got any 330's and 5 gal buckets? They work on wolverine pretty good.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Mike, I like to use a #3 jump along with the other larger trap, smaller footprint and easier to cover/hide and if that is snapped by a wolf it will likely lead to it getting caught in the #9 as it either tries to get its paw out or jumps away.

Heading out to break trail, it's still snowing and we have 20" of new snow, got the snowshoes out yesterday, gonna be some major slow going and many days to break out trail again and check traps.

Mark, it has to be just beautiful where you live. All that new snow and the full moon just rising as we type.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Mike, I like to use a #3 jump along with the other larger trap, smaller footprint and easier to cover/hide and if that is snapped by a wolf it will likely lead to it getting caught in the #9 as it either tries to get its paw out or jumps away.

Sounds like a workable idea.
    Joe Mattie had a set in a book with a conibear set and anchored near footholds for wolverine. When the wolverine got in the foothold, his struggles would take him thru the coni.
    Looking forward to more pics.
    Raining in western Ak.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default We needed snow, but his is waay too much at once!

Managed to get halfway upriver yesterday, dogs were maybe going a mile and a half an hour, miserable conditions, flat light, dark, still snowing, didn't get home til 4:30 right at dark, moon wasn't quite up yet Roland but sure did come out later, and even with the snow and overcast was pretty bright outside.

Caught a couple marten though, including this guy in an old beaver slough, have caught quite a few marten over the years at this set:

Nice dark male. Gonna have to raise the sets with all this snow, this guy normally wouldn't be touching the snow when caught. Day off for the doggies today, hope we can get to the end of the upriver line on monday...3 more inches of snow last night, not catching a break to run on any hard trail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast