Thread: Annealing Brass - cool holder idea

Thumbs up Annealing Brass - cool holder idea

How many of you loaders anneal your brass? I found this cool vid on Youtube of how a guy spins his brass in a drill with a homemade holder setup. Looks alot easier than trying to use a factory style drill case holder that you have to unscrew after you heat your case.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgD5D...eature=related
    Anyone got any better methods? I'm sure there are many opinions on this subject and would like to hear em all.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I use my lead melting pot. Just dip the neck to the shoulder in the melted lead for a few seconds and drop in water to cool. You won't be able to hold on to the brass long enough to anneal into the case body. Do this before tumbling to prevent lead from sticking to the case, or dip the neck in graphite first. This is really fast and does a very even not to hot job of annealing.

Looks slick but I don't really know that it offers any advantage to the tried and true line them all up in a pan of water, torch them and tip em over routine.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Looks slick but I don't really know that it offers any advantage to the tried and true line them all up in a pan of water, torch them and tip em over routine.
    Yes, that is a slick way to do it to keep the heat from traveling too far down the case for sure. I'm clummsy tho so would tip em over before I got em all heated.................lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I used an old tape deck to make a turntable. Set it on the thing, turn it on and heat, then flick into sink full of water.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I use a Lee case holder; the one they sell with their case trimmers. I put it in my electric drill just this this demo. I aim the point of the flame at the junction of the neck and shoulder. When hot, I stuff the case into water and then take out of holder when cool. Works well for me. It is pretty amazing how uniform neck tension affects accuracy. After this discovery, I anneal every 2-3 firings. Happy Thanksgiving to all on the forum. J.

Maybe my method is too simple, but I just use MAP gas (faster than propane), a deep well socket, and socket extension. I just put aluminum foil wadded up in the bottom of the socket to accommodate different length cases. I have a bowl of water next to the torch, rotate the brass in the flame, and lower the socket to allow the brass to fall out into the bowl. About every third case, I dunk the socket in the water to keep it from getting too hot.