Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sportsman's Paradise

Default Sportsman's Paradise

What more can ya say, A landowner says....feel free to hunt. THANKS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where is this at man you dont see that every day

that should be the law
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

ak power monkey why should that be the law I think I a man has a some land its up to him to let people hunt it. Im all for huting and fishing but if I had some property that was good hunting I dont think I would alow other people to hunt it.

it works good for this land owner, he allows hunting on his land and in return the game dept. pays for any crop damage, fence damage, posting, patrolling and clean up of his property. I feel it is a good deal for everybody. I get bent out of shape when a land owner leases his land and then turns in a claim for crop damage. I personally feel if you own it you take care of it, if you want the dept's help, then you need to make an effort to work with them, as in the feel free to hunt program.

We have another program here that is called hunting by written permission only, very similar benefits to the land owner. it is overly abused by the land owners and I am thankfully working with the dept to kill funding to any non participating land owner, no play....no pay. We put in thousands of hours every year to fence and post private property and it kills me when these guys get greedy. I gotta take my hat off to the ones the play by the rules though, you make it great for the rest of us.....thanks.

I wish more people were respectful of property so we did not have to try to keep everyone off it, instead we could welcome a friend offering a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    ak power monkey why should that be the law I think I a man has a some land its up to him to let people hunt it. Im all for huting and fishing but if I had some property that was good hunting I dont think I would alow other people to hunt it.
    Game is a public resourse therefore if it is going to be hunted at all everyone should be alowed to hunt it or nobody should be allowed to hunt it.

Good looking yote, I have spent most of this winter hunting those buggers without success.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Game is a public resourse therefore if it is going to be hunted at all everyone should be alowed to hunt it or nobody should be allowed to hunt it.
    Private property is NOT a public resource and if wild game just happen to enter someone's personal property, then too bad for the hunter. Game can enter property without permission, but you can't. Don't like it? Buy some land.

Private property rights are sacred in this country and fortunately for us, Alaska doesn't consist of mostly private land like most other states. Forcing landowners to allow access for hunters to pursue "Alaskans" game is not the answer here. Your logic is tantamount to communism.

Default I agree

I agree with Flintlock. I own 160 acres in Michigan. I dont own the game that passes thru or lives on my property but when I want to hunt MY land I want to hunt MY land alone

We post our land "Hunting by Permission Only" because we want a say in who uses it and how. Ten too many times chasing cows out of green alfalfa and losing some of them to bloat, and we closed the land to all ATVs. Period. The miserable so and so's would cut fences when a gate was 100 yards away, and never close gates if they bothered to use them.

Head of the line to get permission to hunt are the ones who show up out of season and volunteer to help with some of our chores.

We also limit the numbers who can hunt at any one time, and no one gets to hunt simply by showing up with their hunting gear and their tongues hanging out. Show up and introduce yourselves before the season, then call and make an appointment. Show up with an ATV in your truck and guarantee that you won't be hunting.

Good decent folks are welcome, but leave the beer and booze at home.

None of this is new and it's the way it was always done before the slobs showed up in recent years. Among the other land owners I know who post their land against all hunting, they had to do it because it was getting harder and harder to tell the slobs from the real hunters. A few folks still get to hunt their land even if it's posted, but it's folks that proved themselves a long time ago.

Decent newcomer hunters really suffer from this state of affairs, but until hunters in general weed out the slobs, they better plan on years of getting acquainted with the landowner and helping with chores before they can get inside the signs against slobs.

One insight about getting in good with a landowner. Landowners talk, and will often serve as a reference for hunters they know and trust who want to access neighboring private property.

We're pretty well full up in terms of numbers of people that use our place, so it's getting hard to make room for newcomers, too. The land and the resources will only take so much, and because it's our land it's our say on how many hunters is enough. We may change our signs simply to cut down on the numbers of people we have to turn away each year, but that doesn't mean that responsible hunters and good citizens won't continue hunting the land.

Default private property

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    Private property is NOT a public resource and if wild game just happen to enter someone's personal property, then too bad for the hunter. Game can enter property without permission, but you can't. Don't like it? Buy some land.

Private property rights are sacred in this country and fortunately for us, Alaska doesn't consist of mostly private land like most other states. Forcing landowners to allow access for hunters to pursue "Alaskans" game is not the answer here. Your logic is tantamount to communism.
    That's the biggest reason I'm happy that most land in Alaska isn't private property, but public land. People complain that more land should be sold or given to private interests, instead of being locked up, but private property is the biggest land lock up there is. Instead of one set of rules for using it, you have thousands of rules.

This is from someone who's family had a lot of acerage when I was growing up. We and the neighboring landowners never minded people hunting our property as long as they respected things like closing gates behind them and not dumping garbage. It got so bad tho that we finally made it off limits to vehicles. That solved most of the problems.

Flintlock, how do you feel about ranchers who lease public land for livestock, but try to keep hunters off of it during hunting season? You know, people who try to tie up public land.

Ranchers can't keep you off the grazing leases. On ours however, we have to have four employees riding fence nonstop to close gates and repair holes cut by ATVers who refuse to use gates. Gosh darned Leatherman belt tool is the worst thing that has happened in the last 50 years.

Default Hardly

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    So no private land rights, no rules on tresspass, no Native lands no Federal Parks. Just let whom ever wants to hunt where ever they want too.

I don't think so. Private property is private, not public.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

All I'm saying is that if you have private land you should not be allowed to hunt on it or if you want to hunt on it anyone should be allowed to hunt it.

I'm not saying have no private lands I'm saying have no private resources

my family is from wi, and they've been having all kinds of problems with letting other people hunt. they've ranged from people stealing tree stands, to making a mess of the area, killing game indiscriminately, etc. also, some people down there will sue if they hurt themselves on your land. we should be grateful for landowners that will allow us to hunt their land.

Default doesn't make sense

monkey,

those that own land pay taxes on it, pay for its up-keep, and in many cases receive their livlihood/partial livlihood from this land.

Is your yard free-game for picnics, barbeques, and horse shoe games by anyone who fancies its location and attributes; without asking permission?

My point is we that use public land for any activity are guests, and should treat the owner and land the same way we would like to be treated.

Thumbs up Agree

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    That's the biggest reason I'm happy that most land in Alaska isn't private property, but public land. People complain that more land should be sold or given to private interests, instead of being locked up, but private property is the biggest land lock up there is. Instead of one set of rules for using it, you have thousands of rules.
    As I kid I thought it was a bad idea to have such little private property in Alaska. Now I believe just the opposite. We'd be hunting ranches and game farms if this state was mostly private.

It is cool to see the feel free to hunt sign.

Tim

Good to see the range wars haven't died.

I wouldn't get drawn into this debate for a whole pound of cooked bacon.

Ranchers can keep the public off the BLM and Forest Service grazing leases if they have it landlocked (surrounded) by private land. Go check out Eastern Wyoming and Eastern Montana. You get a map that shows the public land and you try to get to it, but you find all of the access is through private land and you can't get there. Worse yet the Landowners have outfitters that guide hunters on the public land and don't pay the BLM their percent.

Not only can the public not access the land, but the ranchers are selling hunts on the public land for their private benefit. One of the reasons I hated hunting in NE Wyoming. The public land you can access has tons of hunters on it and the game has been pushed to private land where the hunting pressure is less.

All of this being said I think the landowners have the right to do what ever they want on their private land. But, they shouldn't be allowed to graze their cattle on public land if they won't let the public access it for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Ranchers can't keep you off the grazing leases. On ours however, we have to have four employees riding fence nonstop to close gates and repair holes cut by ATVers who refuse to use gates. Gosh darned Leatherman belt tool is the worst thing that has happened in the last 50 years.

Really?? Ever been run off a BLM grazing lease at gunpoint?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast