Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76

Thread: Registration increase

  1. #1
    Member mit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    702

    Default Registration increase

    Get ready, it's coming again be forewarned!

    The folks that need a well marked groomed trail want more of your money!
    Tim

  2. #2
    Member Rich_in_AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Good Deal ! I would like to see more well marked groomed trails !

  3. #3
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,119

    Default

    Taxes suck.
    If you don't ride in the park system then you don't need to register your machine.
    BK

  4. #4
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Dont know where you got your information but it is wrong. Unless you ride solely on PRIVATE land your machine MUST be registered and you are also suppose to have it insured. Insurance minimums do not only apply to road vehicles. This has been verified by the troopers after an unfortunate event last year on public land where 2 people ( one of them was with us) on ATV's collided head on coming around a turn on a trail it was defiantly one persons fault more than the other the kid was on a raptor 660 going about 70mph around the turn and smashed into my buddy head on BUT the kid had his machine registered and insured my buddy did not so all liability fell on him and he also got some hefty fines for no registration and insurance not to mention his hospital bills were pretty hefty had to get lots of stiches in his head thank god for helmets and dislocated his shoulder.

  5. #5
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    it is the first sentence in the snow machine section on the dmv website.

    Snowmachines and ATV's are NOT titled in Alaska, however snowmachines are required to be registered unless they are operated solely on private property.

    http://www.doa.alaska.gov/dmv/reg/snow.htm

    The only exemptions are tiny villages that they have a list of on the DMV site. But that list only applies to a tiny portion of us on here do what you want but for 10.00 I would rather be safe than sorry.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    it is the first sentence in the snow machine section on the dmv website.

    Snowmachines and ATV's are NOT titled in Alaska, however snowmachines are required to be registered unless they are operated solely on private property.

    http://www.doa.alaska.gov/dmv/reg/snow.htm
    True enough: But.....the fact is that it is SELECTIVELY ENFORCED and that leads myself to think I also am exempt from being punished. Where are the laws being enforced? Ask the Trooper on the other forum for the answer.....geeesshh guys.....until it applies to everyone, it applies to noone.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    I know what your saying I have never personally heard of someone getting popped for it on its own but have seen it on more than one occasion been thrown in with other things like the incident I mentioned above after the accident he got big fines for it and it wasnt even his fault. My neighbor got a DUI on his snow machine at arctic man last year and got charged with the same because his wasnt registered/ insured. And just because it is selectivly enforced doesnt mean you wont be the one. I dont know maybe it is just me but 10.00 a year is better than a 200 dollar fine.

  8. #8
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,119

    Default

    Bsj425,
    I see the statement regarding registration, I stand corrected. However, I see nothing about insurance requirements. Is that hidden somewhere else in the law books.
    So, If I leave a private landing, which I am a member/owner of, proceed to my cabin that I own on private land, using a navigable frozen waterway, do I need to be registered with the state when using my snowmobile?
    Is the river considered state property? Do the troopers write tickets on the river for unregistered sleds there?
    I know F&G will ask me for my fishing license out there but I have never been asked for a registration.
    Wondering what you think?
    Akres-Thanks for the input.
    BK

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Bsj425,
    I see the statement regarding registration, I stand corrected. However, I see nothing about insurance requirements. Is that hidden somewhere else in the law books.
    So, If I leave a private landing, which I am a member/owner of, proceed to my cabin that I own on private land, using a navigable frozen waterway, do I need to be registered with the state when using my snowmobile?
    Is the river considered state property? Do the troopers write tickets on the river for unregistered sleds there?
    I know F&G will ask me for my fishing license out there but I have never been asked for a registration.
    Wondering what you think?
    Akres-Thanks for the input.
    BK
    Short answer. Yes, the waterways below mean high water mark are State Owned. The AK Troopers can cite you. Will they???
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member Trail Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Willow AK.
    Posts
    605

    Thumbs up Increase!

    Heres the scoop!
    ASSA and the Snow-Trac Board are trying to increase the fee so we can expaned the trails we have now and make them safer and add more trail from those areas out.
    Also to get a good safety program up and running all over the state!
    To get trails maped and into pubic right of ways before they go away!
    And to get these maps into your hands!!!
    Also to mark and sign these trails so almost anybody can find there way around.
    This increase will still make us the lowest fee for groomed and marked trails anywhere in the U.S.
    One more thing to think about this it is less than a Buger and Beer or 1 tank of fuel and groomed trail will help keep you repair cost down and make it easy to get to your favorite place to ride!!!
    Join in and help make Alaska a better place to ride!!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

  11. #11
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Bsj425,
    I see the statement regarding registration, I stand corrected. However, I see nothing about insurance requirements. Is that hidden somewhere else in the law books.
    So, If I leave a private landing, which I am a member/owner of, proceed to my cabin that I own on private land, using a navigable frozen waterway, do I need to be registered with the state when using my snowmobile?
    Is the river considered state property? Do the troopers write tickets on the river for unregistered sleds there?
    I know F&G will ask me for my fishing license out there but I have never been asked for a registration.
    Wondering what you think?
    Akres-Thanks for the input.
    BK
    Here is where they get you with the insurance thing if you go to the insurance section.

    The Mandatory Insurance Statutes require that the owner of a motor vehicle subject to registration have a liability insurance policy in effect that complies with AS 28.22.101. The minimum amounts for this policy are $50,000/$100,000 for bodily injury or death and $25,000 for property damage. Failure to have the proper insurance may result in a suspension of a driver's license.


    It doesnt say car truck van it just says motor vehicle which includes ALL vehicles. and since it is subject to registration you must have it

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    If the State wants to call my snowmachines motor vehicles to enforce insurance regulations they need to call them motor vehicles when somebody steals one and prosecute the thief accordingly.

    I have no complaints about the routing of money to trail committees. In fact I'll add to that by voluntarily giving more money to the LSDA to help with their efforts. I'm happy to pay to play.

  13. #13
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    I know what you mean and understand the frustration but then again if you have INSURANCE with theft protection and it gets stolen then the insurance will pay you for it. A board member in north pole just had his sleds stolen and had them insured so they are paid for. And good luck getting anyone to prosecute anyone accordingly. I dont know how it is down there but up here there is no personal responsibility for anything the judge and the DA always give plea deals and no one ever gets in trouble for anything they do but that is a whole extra rant that im not going to start hah

  14. #14
    Member Rich_in_AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Since ATVs are not required to be registered, I take it then that they are not required to be insured either.

  15. #15

    Default

    Snowmachiners are being unfairly and unlawfully taxed. They are being singled out to pay for the other many users of the Multi-Use Trail Systems, they share with skiers, mushers, bikers, hikers, hunters and LEO. It ain't right and I am not gonna be a part of it, until the taxes are spread across then entire spectrum of users. Why should a dogsled be exempt? Why should a skier be exempt? Because they are somehow "special"? I don't think so. Fact is these are the same folks that routinely expect others to tote their water for them. Time to turn off the tap!!!.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  16. #16
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Snowmachiners are being unfairly and unlawfully taxed. They are being singled out to pay for the other many users of the Multi-Use Trail Systems, they share with skiers, mushers, bikers, hikers, hunters and LEO. It ain't right and I am not gonna be a part of it, until the taxes are spread across then entire spectrum of users. Why should a dogsled be exempt? Why should a skier be exempt? Because they are somehow "special"? I don't think so. Fact is these are the same folks that routinely expect others to tote their water for them. Time to turn off the tap!!!.
    ya i think i will stop registering also since the hippies dont have to.
    Semper Fi!

  17. #17
    Member Blue Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North of Anchor Pt
    Posts
    682

    Default

    I have to question the "owner of a motor vehicle subject to registration" applying to snowmachines. The way I see this, is the registration for snowmachines is not the same as for vehicles (cars, trucks, ect). If this is the same then we should be able to drive them on public roads. I'm no lawyer, so I think a judge would need to make a ruling on this, which may have already been done. Good question for a Trooper or a Judge.

    On a separate issue I would love to be able to license ATVs for public road use. With restrictions on size, speed, restricted on some Hwys, legal driver, and have to be street legal equipment. It is done in many other areas and working will.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

  18. #18
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    insuance is only required on atv and snowmachiens that are financed. its to protect the banks.
    Semper Fi!

  19. #19

    Default

    You all do realize where this is leading to, right? Soon you will be paying to ride on the trails.....and don't you dare get off them....or you will be fined for that too. TERRIBLE stuff you guys are buying into. JUST SAY NO!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  20. #20
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I have to question the F"owner of a motor vehicle subject to registration" applying to snowmachines. The way I see this, is the registration for snowmachines is not the same as for vehicles (cars, trucks, ect). If this is the same then we should be able to drive them on public roads. I'm no lawyer, so I think a judge would need to make a ruling on this, which may have already been done. Good question for a Trooper or a Judge.

    On a separate issue I would love to be able to license ATVs for public road use. With restrictions on size, speed, restricted on some Hwys, legal driver, and have to be street legal equipment. It is done in many other areas and working will.

    Becuase they don't meet street legal requirements. to be street legal it must have headlight tail light turn signals mirrors and a horn as well at DOT approved tires which neither atv's or snowmachines have. likestated above it is just another way of big gov sticking it to us

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •