Thread: Wash & reuse bore patches???

Default Wash & reuse bore patches???

Do they make them? Or do I hafta make them outta old white Tshirt? I know I could just buy the boresnake, but I wouldn't mind just buyin' reuseable bore patches...(runnin' outta paper towels...)

You can make your own out of old t-shirts or flannel shirts. I guess you could wash and reuse them, but it seems like that would be a little more trouble than what it's worth.

2" sq for .30 up to .45. 1.25" sq for .22-.27.
    Now what ?

yeah, after using about a pound of cotton patches in a few months, i just started reusing used ones, probably most people would not do it, but seems to work just fine

I got five yards of all-cotton flannel from the fabric shop on sale for under $10. Folded it up and used my wife's roller cutter (like a pizza wheel) to cut about 10 layers at once into patches. I figure I got close to 1,000 patches per yard, or 5,000 patches for less than $10. I'm not washing and reusing.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I got five yards of all-cotton flannel from the fabric shop on sale for under $10. Folded it up and used my wife's roller cutter (like a pizza wheel) to cut about 10 layers at once into patches. I figure I got close to 1,000 patches per yard, or 5,000 patches for less than $10. I'm not washing and reusing.
    Sorry about the quote, the program does't seem to be working right today. I remember a story about guys going to Korea with the M1 and using the same cleaning patches the whole time they were there. Wash and reuse. Maybe they were trying to be "Green".

Yeah, I heard the same stories. I go through a bazzillion cleaning patches shooting muzzleloaders, and I'm cheap. The flannel suits me even better than T-shirts cuzz I just don't wear out shirts fast enough to keep upwith my shooting!

Any Salvation Army store would be glad to give you boxes full of torn shirts for cleaning rags and patches. I go through huge amounts of cleaning rags and patches while working on aircraft and firearms. I have a separate (metal) trash can for them out in the shop and they get burned when they accumulate. No oils or chemicals leaching into the ground water that way.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I've always just used t-shirts... I have 3 boys, there is literally NEVER a time where I don't have a ripped t-shirt or two laying around the gunroom that I can use. Kid's.... they-re good for providing a never ending supply of cleaning patches!!!

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)

Just don't use the same washing machine that the wife uses.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

When grandpa Noah passed on I cobbled on to a box full of bed sheets made of flannel. My wife thought they'd be very comfy so I let her have one set...until I get the others used up and I have been going through them pretty fast the last 6 months.