Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 mile winter hunt

Default 40 mile winter hunt

Ok in yrs past who has done this hunt. I know last yr they didn't have it. In no way shape or form asking grids to your spot. I hate to run all the way to the Taylor to find out they are all up on the Steese hwy somewhere. Our plan as of now take off on the 30th to Tok and onto chicken. Here is the question do folks run all thecwsy to chicken drop sleds or do they drop sleds well before chicken and ride until you run into them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you have 13 days to figure out what to do for 12 hours.

you will have to pay attention to the harvest information when it comes out... 60% of the quota for winter will be on the highway they are nearest... and the remainder will be on the other...

ZONE 2 in the middle is part of the 60% side of the closest road.

so ? how many can be shot on the Taylor?

how many on the steece?

you wont shoot any from the road... i suggest you go where you know your way around

you may spend the night in the snow...

looks like about 350 for this winter quota...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks Vince...

Hey you may want to start using spell check and a thesaurus, so people can understand you.

Have fun and don't forget to duck when you are putting your stalk on.

Lol ok when you get a wheeler and sled and use your own gun to hunt then you can talk **** lol

The caribou will be where they are. Only caribou know where they will be day to day. They are not close to the Taylor right now, but heard lots by the Steese.

Isn't it ironic that you get all butt hurt when someone leaves a sarcastic reply to one of your post, when you do the very same thing. If people are looking for info sometimes they don't want to hear from the peanut gallery that has nothing to contribute.

Yes I am limited on funds for toys, because of a single income. Yes I went on a hunt armed with a bow and switched up for a rifle that I didn't bring. So I guess that I am not allowed to talk but I think the lack of my input will be less of a hassle than your needless remarks.

all depends, if you head up the steese, (where the bulk of the bou seem to be right now) then you will need a sled to get back anywhere near the bou. The area is filled with mining roads and trails. If you hunt the taylor then sled is also wise, but depending on snow depth you might be able to drive in all the way. It varies. You will see alot of hunters driving up and down the roads on either highway trying to get a bou from the road. Some succeed, but most will only find success if they get off the highway. either way it is a cold hunt many just sleep in their trucks, some will drive out to tok or fbks every day to stay somewhere warm.

Honestly there really isn't a honey hole when it comes to these bou they go where they want when they want and if they have a plan, then it must be classified higher than top secret, cause I never saw it. :-)

I will be up there, so good luck!
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Quote Originally Posted by l@@kin_4_holes View Post

Isn't it ironic that you get all butt hurt when someone leaves a sarcastic reply to one of your post, when you do the very same thing. If people are looking for info sometimes they don't want to hear from the peanut gallery that has nothing to contribute.

Yes I am limited on funds for toys, because of a single income. Yes I went on a hunt armed with a bow and switched up for a rifle that I didn't bring. So I guess that I am not allowed to talk but I think the lack of my input will be less of a hassle than your needless remarks.
    I'm crying your post it's filled with passion man... It's from the soul your heart

I heard the same thing they are up on the steese. But I don't want to deal with that mob but if they are way off the road then we might have a chance with sleds. How many will go up there hoping to get them off the hwy versus riding in on a sled.

As of now we are going to the taylor hwy.

you will prb see a few hundred hunting around the highway, with the rest on the trails especially around circle.
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

I will go to the taylor unless it is completely barren, I would rather hunt hard for days for one good chance, then deal with the mob. But I don't even know if my sled will be working by then. It's old and broken, and My skills at fixing it are pretty light.

Even if I get it running, I'm not sure I would trust it for anything but around the house. Thats why I will prob never try to use it on most hunts. It's too old and untrustworthy
    Last edited by akfishfool; 11-18-2010 at 09:46. Reason: correction

1. Is there any way to know how many tags were given out? I was at the office when it opened expecting a line but I was the only one in the parking lot.
    2. Is there any way of knowing what the harvest quota will be? I need to put in a request for a couple of days off work... I'd like to wait until the weekend and take a Friday and a Monday, but if it is going to close by Thursday, I'd have a long weekend to kick myself.
    3. If one is hunting with a friend, can one be hunting caribou on a tag and the other carry a shotgun for ptarmigan?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

It's an open registration so no qouta on permits also heard the qouta is 350.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    3. If one is hunting with a friend, can one be hunting caribou on a tag and the other carry a shotgun for ptarmigan?
    No problem there, however you will be broadcasting your location to any 'bou in the area. Personally a .22 makes a lot less sound and would be my choice if looking to take some birds as a side issue.

Anybody else planning on going up the taylor on opening day. I am waiting to see if I can get my old sled running, so Hopefully I will be there but looks like my hunting partner bailed (too cold for him :-) so it will be just me alone this year again. It's nice to have a partner up there in the winter just for safety sake and to split the gas, but I actually kinda like going alone. It's more peaceful that way, and I can go at my own pace. Anyway just wondering how many are going the taylor route vs. the steese? Steese is a lot closer for me, but I don't like the crowds there lately.

We are going to the taylor hwy, when you plan on going

Me and a buddy of mine will be up on the Taylor the night before with 2 sleds hoping to find a couple Bou.

I will be up late night before opening day if I can get the sled to work!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast