Thread: Berger 168GR VLD in 7mm-08

Default Berger 168GR VLD in 7mm-08

Anyone try the Berger 168 gr VLD in their 7mm-08, how did it work out?

Quote Originally Posted by m_freeman View Post
    Anyone try the Berger 168 gr VLD in their 7mm-08, how did it work out?
    Several issues cause that particular bullet to be unsuitable for the 7mm-08. First, the powder capacity will not launch that bullet at much over 2600 fps; probably less. Second, the required OAL due to the VLD ogive is almost certainly going to exceed the magazine's limits so you are effectively using a single shot. Its a great cartridge, but that will probably not prove to be a very balanced combination. YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I've had good results with the VLD's. I've tested them in .243Win, .308Win, 300RUM and 338LM. In the 243, 300 and 338 they have done best just off the lands, the 308 didn't mind jumping so I loaded it to feed from the magazine for simplicity.

Cor has a point with the magazine comment but you wont know how it works until you try it. The 168gr may not stabilize if your twist is slower than the 1:10 that Berger recommends. They do make a 140gr VLD that would zip right along.

Not a good balance for the 7mm-08 and certainly not a good hunting bullet to use in that cartridge. You might get some fair results on paper and if that is all you are going to do with them, great. But for hunting it is not a good choice in the 7mm-08.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS