Thread: PTR91s (Precision Target Rifle) in Alaska. american G3

Default PTR91s (Precision Target Rifle) in Alaska. american G3

HELLO!!! NEW to posting threads, but long time reader of these forums.
    I'd like to know who shot them, and who has reloaded for them using spent brass from the rifle it self? along with who has used these in extreme cold temperatures and their results. 2 years back in Alaska these went for $1288$ now they cost 1600-1700 dollars. the one i owned, all i did with it for a while was just blast ammunition off like crazy and as fast as i could! and when i was desperate for money i was about to go sell it, and i had a few match grade rounds left, so to make my sale seem more appealing i was going to add in the accuracy of the rifle @ 330 yards. and the day i tried it out, i only had3 bullets, 2 were hornady 168 grain HP match grades, and on a 180 grain federal el'cheapo. 15 below that day i found out where 330 yards was, placed a 5 pound steel weight for weight lifting up with a black coffee grounds jar lid in front the steel plate and shot. cold bore i smacked it with a 4 power luepold scope. for an idiot proof rifle, from my experience it preforms pretty **** good in cold weather cold bore situations. so if any of you guys have one, and like it and would consider it a great buy let me know and let others know how pleased you were with your investment.

Back in 1987 or so I bought an HK91 for right around $500. It was a fun rifle. Durable, reliable and accurate for it's type. However, it was a big giant pig to pack around in the woods. I shot my first moose with it, and I helped DLP a brownbear down in Illiamna with it when the old guy I was staying with ran out of ammo. The .308 can be very effective, but it's no big boomer. In the early 90's the assault rifle ban drove the price right up to $2000 and I got a call out of the blue to see if I would sell the rifle. I said bring cash. End of story. I honestly can say that the only way I'd really buy one again is if it was under a grand.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

true, realistically they what they sell to produce them is probably right under 500 dollars maybe as low as 300. thanks!

I dont about PTR-91's for sure but most cemte/g3 clones have a fluted chamber... I would not reload these as they are more likely to fracture and make for a bad day in your face.

For my money, if I was gonna spend that much on a .308 battle rifle, I think I would buy a DSArms FAL.... instead of a G3 clone.... but I digress!

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)

When I had my HK I reloaded my brass as many as 5 times. I full length re-sized and had no issues. Brass got really dirty, though, with the fluted chamber and worked my tumbler overtime.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default My experience with the PTR91

The PTR 91 I got rid of last year was an 'all right' rifle, but to be honest, I'd rather have an M1A. Reloading the brass wasn't the big problem, FINDING it was! That rifle threw it all over the place, sometimes 10 to 15 yards away, depending on the load, and in an arc of about 60 degrees, with no consistency. It was made to be a battle rifle, after all, and policing spent brass on the battlefield isn't a priority.
    I ended up buying one of the pricey scope mounts and put a 4X Leupold on it, but I didn't see enough accuracy out of the thing to use the added sighting equipment, and went back to irons.
    Mags and accessories are dirt cheap, I've seen mags for $3.00!
    Unfortunately, 7.62X51 ammunition prices and availability make this a REALLY expensive plinking rifle, and there's much better weapons with comparable reliability and accuracy out there that weigh about half as much!
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 11-20-2010 at 07:08. Reason: .

ill have to take all your guys words for it. it being a brass chucker, the warped dirty brass, and the weight 13 pounds of it. but i made my investment. as long as the magazines are cheap, i believe its worth keeping. an FAL is a far better rifle. that and a good bolt will be my next investment.