Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scent Lok????

Default Scent Lok????

Watched limbsavers american archer this morning on outdoor channel and the hunter was busted by a young buck from across a field. The hunter stated on the program that the deer could smell him from that distance, when he turned to the camera he was decked out in scentlok camo! That stuff seems to work really well if the wind is in your favor... just an observation...

The 2 largest deer I have ever killed both came within 40yds of me while I had a cigarette lit, I can say the same for a moose, a few wild hogs etc.

That does not show how many times I have been busted though without even realizing it! I guess if I was a die hard trophy hunter I might think about alot of these products differently than I do.

Doug

i won't wear it, i like thinking the animals i have still have their natural senses in the game...might as well sit 70 feet in a tree over the dump and shoot bears as take their senses away...thats what creates the term sport i thought..mabye not...since we can take "away" the scent factor, maybe we could blind em with a big light or something too....?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Wink

Not wanting to offend any one who may think diffrent, but to me it"s a scam! No I"ve never used it and ,I bowhunt Whitetails from Oct. 1 st. through Dec. 31 st. at least 5 days per week. Hunting bucks for that long you get to watch deer and ,their nose is the best in the outdoors! Save your money, rinse your clothes in baking soda and, watch the WIND! Wear rubber boots, wear gloves when climbing in to your tree stand, stay off the game trails. Any good big game hunter/ guide will tell you stay down wind or go home empty. Ask a successful trapper what he does when laying out his sets so the animals don"t smell him! I"ll make a guess that if he, or she dosen"t care much they don"t make much money. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

A bunch of us went to OKlahoma to hunt. My friend did not wear scenbt lock. He smoked like no tomorrow in the stand and he got the deer while the rest of us scent lock spray cover people got skuned. I still belive in the scent lock, but this goes to show you.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default scent lock scam!

The miracle additive in scentlock clothing is activated carbon it would work it if it didnít fill up with scent in the store, before you ever go hunting, to reactivate the carbon it has to be a very high heat, basically you would have to set the cloths on fire to reactivate the carbon, a dryer will not cut it. Itís a big scam, play the wind, itís the only way you will not get winded.

Default smelly or unsmelly..

I used to go through the rituals of showering with baking soda, using unsented soaps to wash clothing etc. It never actually helped my ratio's by any means (i.e usually got skunked).
    This year I shot two deer opening weekend. I was drinking coffee and munching on cornbread when a nice buck walked up from behind me. I had to scramble to find a place to set my coffee in order to grab my rifle....
    Did I mentiom I ate some of my homemade chili for dinner the night before?
    scent-loc probably works but I have shot more deer without scent elimators etc.
    A brother-in-law has a deer camp and he and his buddies do pretty well and they don't shower the whole time they are up there...

reuben...

Default I use it!

I'm not going to lie. I wear scent lok on most of my archery hunts (which is how I hunt 95% of the time). Last Sep I was back home in New Mexico hunting elk. Because of forest fires all of the elk were pushed into a smaller area then normal. Thus pushing all of the hunters into a small area. After getting frustrated from calling in nothing but hunters we decided to go sit a kill site from an elk our buddy had taken a couple of days prior in wait of a black bear. I was going to sit it first since I flew all the way from Alaska to hunt and didn't want to come back empty handed. Not 20 minutes after sitting down here comes two very young cubs rolling down the hill my way, but still no sow in sight. All of a sudden limbs are breaking not 2 steps behind me. The sow walks within two feet of me and joins her cubs that are eating on the left over elk guts. At this point they still had no clue I was there. All I had with me was my bow (its funny I wont go into the woods here in Alaska without my .44 but New Mexico black bears ah who needs back up). My next mistake was to move to my knees and drawing while they were all feasting, in hope that if momma did charge I could put an arrow down her throat before she added me to the cubs lunch. The only one that saw me was one of the cubs. Here I am at full draw the cub comes over to about 4 feet and is looking straight down the arrow at me wondering why this tree just moved so much. Momma's staring at the cub and I'm trying to contain my girlish scream that wants to come out plus keeping that mornings breakfest from staining my shorts. Momma decided something wasn't right gave the cubs a bark and walked away.

From that point on I am a firm believer in scent lok. I figure if that sow could walk within two feet of me and not smell me out then something went right. Who knows maybe it was dumb luck or maybe the rotting elk masked my scent, but I will continue wearing scent lok on all my archery hunts. I figure what the hell even if it doesn't help as much as its suppossed to it can't hurt.
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Google "activated carbon" and see how it works, figure it out for yourself.

Check to see what the reactivation tempter is (something like 1000F!!!!)

All the people that bought scent lock wasted their money. Plane and Simple

keelermk, i've had black bears within feet of me as well and haven't ever worn the stuff, i've had brown bear down wind at less than 100 yards and not spook Bears seem to pick their time to be freaked out by scent, sometimes its five miles out, other times they don't care at all.
    I would also tend to think a bear has a better nose than a deer, and it could smell your bow, your arrows and equitment and unless you somehow had your entire face (eyes included) covered with scent lok, that bear more than likely knew you were there...just really didn't care...could be..maybe she couldn't smell you, however unlikely that may be.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I think there's a lot to scent, but the idea of completely blocking your scent seems like a fantacy to me. Ain't gonna happen with a truckload of carbon, in my book.

I go the other way. I layer my favorite camo with local vegetation, then jump up and down on it a while to saturate it with smells of the local vegetation. My thinking is that if I can't "erase" my scent, I may as well try to smell like something the critters are used to smelling. My hunting pards were skeptical at first, but after a few years of demo, they're right out there with me jumping up and down on a brush pile before hunts.

Talking

I have to admit to doing something similar, while on a 9 day moose many years ago we really began to smell very ripe after the 3rd day or so. We did the same thing with the vegetation and even went as far as picking up moose nuggets and putting them in our pockets. I got a moose but do not think I can attribute it to poopy pockets.

Doug

I do agree your not going to get rid of all the odor but I also think it will help. I also agree that it will only work for so long. Most corbon based suits come sealed from the factory and should be kept sealed until your at your hunting location. I'm in the military our js-list chemical warfare suits are carbon lined and can be worn for 45 days and be washed 6 times before they are no longer servicable. With that being said I don't wear my scent lok stuff more than maybe 15 to20 times a year. So I figure I can get maybe a year and a half of hunting out of one carbon suit. Is the scent lok hunting gear made to the same standards as our chem suit? Probably not even close but the same theory is behind it. I'm not trying to convert anyone or tell them what is right or wrong. I'm was just stating about my experiences with it. Does it help for sure who knows, does it hurt to try nope!

You know, if you were a muzzleloader your knickname would be pretty well set in cement. I once shot a stump obscured in front of a buck, and my hunting pards now call me Ole Stumpkiller. If you were in our crowd you can guess what yours would be!

Default good idea.

I do agree with you brownbear. The vegitation thing is a good idea. I never thought to try it here. I used to do a lot of preditor calling in New Mexico. We would take our hunting clothing that was designated just for preditors and bury it in the dirt. We would wear a base layer underneath it so you didn't get to dirty. But this is along the same lines as the scent lok stuff. Did it help who knows, does it hurt to try nope.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You know, if you were a muzzleloader your knickname would be pretty well set in cement. I once shot a stump obscured in front of a buck, and my hunting pards now call me Ole Stumpkiller. If you were in our crowd you can guess what yours would be!
    Brownbear I never claimed to be the quickest guy around but I'm not following you here bud!?
    Last edited by keelermk; 02-17-2007 at 10:17. Reason: spelling

BrownBear,

I have heard it a time or two over the years as I still hunt with many of the same guys. I wear it proudly!

Doug

My pard's name for dwhunter would be "Ole Poopy Pockets" for sure. All in good fun, and over time the knicknames usually evolve into a "persona." One of my pard's is now known as Splits after ripping his pants when jumping across a creek, and another is Vaseline because he keeps pushing a bullet lube he made up. Then there's Dukbut, the friend who finally found a dropped duck that tried to crawl headfirst down a hole, but didn't quite make it all the way. The one who tried for two years to get a fox with his muzzleloader is Foxie, and the one who flipped his brand new canoe in front of all of us is Squid. All the names celebrate some favorite memory among friends.

Just a part of the crazy world of old time muzzleloaders.

Default scentlok and chili

I could see where if scentlok really worked that it could be a health hazard to Reuben J especially after an evening of homemade chili which is another reason I don't wear the stuff because I also like homemade chili and have a dreaded fear of the sleeping bag effect! " Just hunt and forget the wind" is super bad advice even if it's just for advertising purposes. There are alot of young and upcoming hunters out there that listen to these advertisements. Ever seen the old Fred Bear videos? Not once have I seen a scentlok logo on his old green plaid hunting shirt and he did pretty well in his legendary hunting career. HUNT THE WIND and watch what you're about, use what you're comfortable with and you won't have to worry if you have the proper new products on the market, just get out there and enjoy...

I say again I wear it proudly

Great times with all those guys.

Sorry about the hijack thread.

Doug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast