Thread: Be careful buying hunting licenses online

Default Be careful buying hunting licenses online

Just a note to everyone that buys hunting licenses online be aware that for some odd reason and I am not sure why they would do this you are able to buy your license for 2012 so if anyone plans to purchase a license online then just pay attention to the year that you select or you will end up with a license that is no good till the 2012 season.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-19-2010 at 08:15.

Where were you last year Tony??? LOL

My wife purchased a license in order to put in for permit draws and didnt realize she bought the license for the year that was almost OVER!!! Wow, there went $53 down the tubes...Oh well, we've spent money on more worthless things than supporting F&G....(like borough property taxes... )

Hog,
    Last year I inadvertantly bought a Trapping and Hunting licence with a King stamp. Not a Hunting / Fishing combo that I wanted. I called the local F&G office and they gave me directions on how to send it back. Give it a try.....
    OTK

I always prefer to get the license in person, then I know exactly what I am getting, but thank you for making everyone aware of this, it would be a shame for someone to get in trouble because they had the wrong years license and didnt even know it

Did that....I got the "too bad, so sad" story...like I said, water under the bridge, but PAY ATTENTION when buying licenses Online!!!

I once typed a "3" when I meant to type a decimal while submitting an online car payment. I didnt catch it until they tried to withdraw $ 536,300 from my checking account. THAT GOT MY ATTENTION, LOL....where you click counts!! and theres no pulling it back...like voting for Joe Miller...

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I always prefer to get the license in person, then I know exactly what I am getting, but thank you for making everyone aware of this, it would be a shame for someone to get in trouble because they had the wrong years license and didnt even know it
    In person in not foolproof either. We bought my wife a hunting/fishing combo and they punched the wrong area. They called a few days later and we returned to get it worked out. Details, details, details.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Just a note to everyone that buys hunting licenses online be aware that for some odd reason and I am not sure why they would do this you are able to buy your license for 2012 so if anyone plans to purchace a license online then just pay attention to the year that you select or you will end up with a license that is no good till the 2012 season.
    I think they make that option available because there are a couple select early spring hunts for spring of 2012 for which the drawings are held during this draw cycle and you need to have the applicable hunting license to apply for those hunts (if I am not mistaken....??). If they waited until the 2011 winter to conduct the drawing for the 2012 spring hunts, there would not be any time to prepare. This is a result of the fairly new single draw application period each year instead of the two application periods we used to have.

Good reminder to send out though. It has obviously caught some people off guard and is good to have in the back of your mind when going through the process.

Heres another interesting heads up. Last December, Bank of America deactivated my Alaska Air credit card for suspected fraud after I used it online for my Alaska Fish and Game drawing applications.

The funny thing about it was that in November, I used that same card on a 3 week road trip driving through Canada, Las Vegas and Mexico. I then flew to Minneapolis and rented a car for a week before flying back to Alaska. BOA had no problem with any of that. Doesn't matter that I have never been to Mexico or Vegas before, or that I was visiting Canada and the midwest in the same 3 week period. No problem, just don't trust the government!

Anyway, it's not an ADF&G issue but since the Alaska Air card is so popular, be aware that you could have problems with the state website.

I got bit by the Combo hunting/trapping lic. The Trapping season is not on the calendar year like it is for hunting so I accidentally purchased a trapping license that expired just a few weeks later. Pretty annoyed at that one but like others have said at least it goes to fish and feathers...

thats weird, Lujon. I thought the trapping portion was for the same year as the hunting license, but was good until May 30th of the year following. I always buy my hunt/trap license combo in like March, even though the previous year's trapping portion is good until May...clear as mud I know....

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I think they make that option available because there are a couple select early spring hunts for spring of 2012 for which the drawings are held during this draw cycle and you need to have the applicable hunting license to apply for those hunts (if I am not mistaken....??). If they waited until the 2011 winter to conduct the drawing for the 2012 spring hunts, there would not be any time to prepare. This is a result of the fairly new single draw application period each year instead of the two application periods we used to have.
    I believe you only need a valid hunting license to apply for the drawings. If what you are thinking is the case, then those applying for the fall 2011 hunts and spring 2012 hunts would need to purchase a 2011 & 2012 license when applying for the drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    I believe you only need a valid hunting license to apply for the drawings.
    This is true.

But, I think you can also just pay to enter drawings if you don't have a hunting license on file. Having a valid hunting license is not a requirment to participate in the drawing, its only a requirement if you plan on hunting once drawn. At least that makes common sense to me.

to apply for the drawing permits you do have to have a license for this year 2010-2011, it expires on dec 31, thats why the drawing deadline is appy by no later than dec 31 by a certain time. the application for draw permits is for periods of spring 2011 and fall 2011, as there is only one application period per year now. the next time you will apply will be nov. dec. of 2011 for the 2012 hunting seasons. licenses bought after dec 31 are valid for the following year, so dont pay for a license that is dated though 2010 unless you intend useing it this year from now till dec 31 2010, buy a license, dated 2011-2012 and you are good till the next application period.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Montana View Post
    to apply for the drawing permits you do have to have a license for this year 2010-2011, it expires on dec 31, thats why the drawing deadline is appy by no later than dec 31 by a certain time. the application for draw permits is for periods of spring 2011 and fall 2011, as there is only one application period per year now. the next time you will apply will be nov. dec. of 2011 for the 2012 hunting seasons. licenses bought after dec 31 are valid for the following year, so dont pay for a license that is dated though 2010 unless you intend useing it this year from now till dec 31 2010, buy a license, dated 2011-2012 and you are good till the next application period.
    There are multiple drawing permits available in this permit application period for hunting in 2012, specifically brown bears and bison for examples.

You could be correct about the only needing this year's license to apply. I can't find anything stating more specifically at the moment. One reason that someone might want to purchase a 2012 hunting license would be if they are not planning to hunt in 2011, but are putting in for drawing hunts that occur in spring of 2012 (since you need to have a license to apply, you might as well just get one for the year you are looking to hunt in).

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    This is true.

But, I think you can also just pay to enter drawings if you don't have a hunting license on file. Having a valid hunting license is not a requirment to participate in the drawing, its only a requirement if you plan on hunting once drawn. At least that makes common sense to me.
    Not correct. According to the drawing hunt supplement (page 1, under "Read this section BEFORE applying"),

"You must obtain or have applied for an Alaska hunting license prior to applying (except Alaska residents 10-15 years of age)."

Last year I could of sworn I used my hunting lisence from that year and didnt buy one for 2010. I did get burned on my trapping lisence for this year now I have like 3 years worth of trapping lisences oh well

I applied and won 2 tags for this year using my 2009 hunting license. I never ended up purchasing a 2010 lic because I left the state within the first 6 days of the year to come to Iraq and have not been back. I will be buying a 2011 hunting license in a few days and be using it to apply for the new draw cycle.

I applied and won 2 tags for this year using my 2009 hunting license. I never ended up purchasing a 2010 lic because I left the state within the first 6 days of the year to come to Iraq and have not been back. I will be buying a 2011 hunting license in a few days and be using it to apply for the new draw cycle.
    That is interesting, and just to spice things up. Purchasing a 2011 license and applying for draw permits, technically speaking, would be incorrect if you do not have a current 2010 license, for a 2011 license is NOT VALID until Jan.1, 2011.

I doubt anyone at ADFG is aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    That is interesting, and just to spice things up. Purchasing a 2011 license and applying for draw permits, technically speaking, would be incorrect if you do not have a current 2010 license, for a 2011 license is NOT VALID until Jan.1, 2011.

I doubt anyone at ADFG is aware of that.
    It will be valid for the hunt, basically they are being reasonable in that you don't have to run out and buy a new 2011 lic to apply for 2011 tags you can use your 2010. If you don't have a 2010 there is no need to buy one, you can just buy a 2011 tag and be good to go. It does create a minor loophole however in that for those few whom only hunt if they draw a tag could actually get away with purchasing a lic every other year. Simply purchase a 2011 lic and use it for both 2011 and 2012 draw periods. To me the bennefits of the way they are currently doing things outweighs this fairly minor negative.