Thread: A Lightweight 410 - they are Useful

Default A Lightweight 410 - they are Useful

There was a discussion a while back about the benefits/uselessness of the humble 410. Anyway, went out to get a few bunnies with my kid, a buddy and his kids on the weekend. We were all carrying 22s (mix of rifles and handguns). The bunnies were not playing ball, no matter how much we tried to drive them out the Alders, they just hid low in the Alders. Such that we could see them (just), but getting a 22 to go to them without hitting a branch was all but impossible.
    I had thrown my kids 410 Rossi in my pack, just in case we stumble upon Ptarmigan. The Rossi weighs nothing and breaks down, so easy pack gun. So I put it together and hey presto, enough pellets from the 3inch 7shot got through the Alders to nail a few bunnies. A couple of screamers that needed a 22 pistol to finally dispatch. But the 410 proved great medicince in this scenario.

.410 2 1/2" 4or6 shot is a great shell for non running bunnies and running bunnies up to twenty yards or so.The little Savage/Stevens mod.24 in .410-22lr is a wonderfull hunting gun for small game and the 20ga./30-30 should handle most of the worlds other hunting chances
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    .410 2 1/2" 4or6 shot is a great shell for non running bunnies and running bunnies up to twenty yards or so.The little Savage/Stevens mod.24 in .410-22lr is a wonderfull hunting gun for small game and the 20ga./30-30 should handle most of the worlds other hunting chances
    I stick with the 7.5 shot 3 inch. Those 241 pellets give my old eyes a better chance of hitting something.

Having got out this weekend (first time Bun ny hunting in AK) I am indeed on the lookout for a 410/22 O/U gun. Savage 24 or one of the Remington/Baikals.

If ya can scratch up the loot a Browning 525 410 O/U is a real nice outfit. I have one in 30in bbls for sporting clays and it sure puts the smack on doves and bunnies. The 30in bbls though are a bit much in timber - the field version is either 26in or 28in and real nice....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....