Thread: Sako 85 Kodiak

Default Sako 85 Kodiak

We rarely see or hear this rifle mentioned on this board.

Yet, in many ways, it seems to be a superlative rifle in 338 or 375 for Alaskan hunting.

Put a VariX3 in 1.5X6 up top in QD mounts...find a load it likes...and it should be combat ready for about anything Alaska dishes out.

Has anyone used this on our board?

Comments...criticisms? Other than price.But still, amortized over 20 years or more, it is very inexpensive.

We had five of them in earlier this year and they sold faster than the effect of a Botox shot on Nancy Pelosi. I like them and thats the only reason we picked up Sakos

There're great looking rifles with a history of fine manufactoring.

However, there is a guy that posts here from time to time. He has had problems with the detachable magazine. After inspecting the rounds in the mag following the first shot the shoulders are bent by a protrusion in the mag itself. They will feed and the result after firing pushes out the dent so you wouldn't know about the dent unless you unloaded the rounds after the first shot.

His concern was if they didn't feed due to dented damage or if the dents changed his load by reducing free space in the brass. He posted pics on here and had found another shooter with the same issue.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=ekberger

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=ekberger

Yeah, wonder what happened to "ekberger"? He had a bear hunt up in AK and was going to keep us updated on the dented shoulder issue.

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Yeah, wonder what happened to "ekberger"? He had a bear hunt up in AK and was going to keep us updated on the dented shoulder issue.
    I'll drop him an email.

I would own one if Sako manufactured it in a left hand model. Maybe someday.

Sako usually makes a fine rifle. Those detachable magazines on a big game hunting rifle give me the creeps. I guess they shouldn't as they work fine in my pistols, AR and a couple of Rem. 788's I foolishly sold.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Sako usually makes a fine rifle. Those detachable magazines on a big game hunting rifle give me the creeps.

That's pretty much my take away on that one. Nice rifle. Two position safety not my personal preference, but so what. Kinda CRF. That said I'm NOT big on the detachable magazine idea. Leave it to the ARs and .22lrs.

Brett

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Default Update on the Sako 85 .375 H&H denting cartridges cases

Sorry for being out of touch for awhile, but my only excuse is that I've been up in Wisconsin hunting rutting whitetails with my bow so I hope you can't blame me for that. I'm currently sitting in the lobby of a local hospital hacking their internet service with my laptop.

Just a quick update on the Sako 85 Kodiak .375 denting cartridge cases. Beretta has insited that I demonstrate that I would have the same issues with factory ammo because all of the dented cases that I showed them came from my own handloads with 300 gr. Barnes FB TSX bullets. We'll on the way up here I stopped at the local shop a purchased some Remington 270 grain SP .375 H&H bullets just to run the test on the Sako 85 Kodiak. I immediately got dented cases in all the remaining rounds in the magazine. In essence there was no difference from what I had seen previously. I have velocity data on the loads and will photograph these to share with Beretta and the forum as soon as I get back from this current hunt. In a nutshell, from what I can tell, this is a problem caused by the current design of the detachable magazine. I'm not sure what the next steps will be when I present this new data to Beretta.

Stay tuned...Eric

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Those detachable magazines on a big game hunting rifle give me the creeps.
    Detachable magazine, yep they give me the creeps...just one more thing for me to lose. I have enough crap to keep up with already.

A buddy lost a detachable mag on a Sako 75 a few years back- replacement cost was staggering, well over a $100.

It seems that Sako/Tikka manufactures it's detachable mags out of crushed diamonds and raw platinum.