Thread: 2010 Ranger 6x6 fuel milage

Default 2010 Ranger 6x6 fuel milage

Has anyone with the new Ranger 6x6 figured out there fuel milage? If so how does it compare to the regular Ranger? I have thought about getting one next year, but do not want to have to take up half of my bed with jerry cans just to go on a 100 mile trip.

Figure 6 miles to the gallon. There are those on here that will tell you the real measure is gallons per hour of engine running time, but there is no hour meter so that was too hard for me to keep track of. You can probably get 7 mpg if you really pay attention to the terrain and switch in out of of 3wd, 4wd, and AWD (6wd). I usually just put it in L, AWD and run it. I'm usually towing so L works the best for me. H with a load or towing feels a little soft when you first get going, but is smoother once your at 10 mph +. The manual says to use L for anything less than 7 mph and H for the rest, but I find that L in most conditions just has better throttle response and I usually don't go much over 20 mph on the trail anyway so L is fine. L AWD burn the most fuel and that is where I get the 6 mpg from.

I did a 80 mile trip out past Eureka this summer and I carried 12.5 gallons of extra gas. Two 5'rs and a 2.5. I didn't use all of it. I usually don't try to haul gas down to the exact gallon so I figured I'd was going to go 100 miles and would need 20 gallons of gas. 9 in the tank and 12.5 extra.

Bottom line IMO is if your worried about fule mileage don't buy the Ranger 6X6. But seriously, the fule mileage should not even enter into the equation. It can haul some extra fuel no problem.

Thumbs up Similar experience

Torqued: Only used my 2010 Ranger one major trip this fall, but got similar mileage as 1s1k. We were pretty heavy loaded most of trip, did little over 80 miles (bulk of miles on trail, nearly always in awd, always in low, hauled trailer to/from base camp...), and burned little over ten gallons gas. Agree totally with 1sk1, fuel mileage shouldn't be that big of a factor in your decision to upgrade. It will most likely burn a bit more gas than what you're used to running, but the off-trail capabilities (especially climbing/stability and higher ground clearance on 'newer Ranger 6x6's rear axle) far outweigh any increased fuel consumption issues to me. The huge hauling capacity and spaciousness of the 6x6 make hauling any extra jugs of gas an easy option. Good luck in your decision....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a link to the Eureka trip that I did. I looked through the pics and see that I lied to you. I took 15 extra gallons of gas, and the kitchen sink.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=b2a3e17a19

Nice facebook collection of photos and real nice looking lab.

Thanks for all the replies. I am currently running a Husqvarna utv with a diesel so the fuel milage is very different from what you guys are getting. The only thing I do not like about it is the lack of aftermarket accessories for it. A 100 mile trip for me requires no extra fuel besides my 6 gallon tank. I guess there is always trade offs. Maybe they will put the diesel in the 6x6 as well as the regular ranger.

u might want to check out the polaris website...they already got a diesel ranger out on the market....try it out & let us know!!