Thread: Info on Unganik bay?

Default Info on Unganik bay?

I am looking for any information on bear hunting in Uganik bay on kodiak, any just basic information on the area would be nice, I have never been to this part of the island and it is one of the places I have in mind to hunt, that is if I draw. I have already looked for air transport and cabin rental in the state cabin site but would like some insight on the area. also how is the deer hunting there I dont hear anything about deer there, I would like to do a combo hunt bear/deer if I go. there is also a reg. goat hunt in the bay? if anyone has any more info they would care to share on any of these, please PM me thanks!

hunted on Uganik island once about 18 years ago, we were there for one day, my dad shot a deer, a friend shot a deer, i missed a deer and we seen a couple others.

when you get drawn, and head down and try to cap all three on one hunt, be prepared...
    best way to do that is the following....
    run on a stairstepper with 80lb pack...
    have the wife hit you with some car attena's and spray you with the garden hose for at least 30min...if you can handle it. you'll be fine. if not. maybe just pick a priority to hunt and if you tag out early, then focus on something else, or go home. your body will tell you then how much it likes the bay...
    deer are there, goats are there bears are there, just a matter of the weather and being ready to cover the ground needed to access the places the critters are hiding. cause they won't be hiding anywhere near the cabins!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    when you get drawn, and head down and try to cap all three on one hunt, be prepared...
    have the wife hit you with some car attena's and spray you with the garden hose for at least 30min...if you can handle it. you'll be fine. if not. maybe just pick a priority to hunt and if you tag out early, then focus on something else, or go home. your body will tell you then how much it likes the bay...
    deer are there, goats are there bears are there, just a matter of the weather and being ready to cover the ground needed to access the places the critters are hiding. cause they won't be hiding anywhere near the cabins!
    Sounds like experience talking. Best listen Mr. Montana to this guy.

Default That's Classic, BRWNBR

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Sounds like experience talking. Best listen Mr. Montana to this guy.
    I agree, listen to that guy,

Only thing I'd add is, on the car antennae whipping and garden hose spray test, maybe a little longer than thirty minutes

Also that area has had more than a few intense Bear/Deer Hunter encounters lately and I believe even F&G will warn you of the aggressive nature of the Bears there (in relation to hunters and Deer Down). More than other areas. Just so you know,
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

i don't drag deer on the island, i did it once and we lost the deer. i field dress and bag all my deer on sight and quickly, making noise and looking around often. sometimes i'll drag them a few yards to an open area so i can see stuff coming.
    kodiakrain, i figured 30 min was a good start, why jump right up to 3 hours if you can't take the 30 min ya know...?! but there really is no way to train for devils club in the crotch i don't think...less you've got a curious cat that's still go its claws....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Pm me just getting back from bb there.

[QUOTE=BRWNBR;836071...but there really is no way to train for devils club in the crotch i don't think...less you've got a curious cat that's still go its claws....[/QUOTE]

I don't care who you are, that's funny!

We have a male kitten we'd happily give to the effort.

Climbing a wet metal roof in bunny boots would be good terrain training...

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    The only thing I would add is do all of the above in a walk in freezer makes it much more realistic!

Oh and if you are using a raft find out the weight rating before you add all the above mentioned animals to it and then try to float(drag) some skinny water.

All you crusty locals can correct me if I get this wrong, but here goes on general info. It is a big bay. There are no state cabins on the bay proper although there are cabins on Uganik Lake and Uganik Island. The bay has two (that I know of) separate long time lodges that hunt bear. The territory by the lake cabin is also used by bear guides, although obviously not the cabin itself. Most of the terrain goes straight up from the beach. Good luck.

Thanks for the info guys that helps alot, I dont realy plan on going for all three at once, just take it as it comes, but the bear would take the cake if I got it. looking for deer in other parts of the island if I dont get the draw tag, which i likely wont, but hay even a blind man gets lucky once in awile right? the devils club coment, thats a hoot! got one in the neck this last summer, boy what a excperiance! the cabin site on the lake was a idea, but sounds like I best look for a drop location out of the way of other hunters, dont want to crowd the local users but the idea of a warm cabin on a cold october kodiak night sure sounds good! if anyone has more im glad to hear it , thanks again

I know uganik island must have huge spiders as the brush I went through the more I fought the more stuck I got we decided it must be giant spider webs. I had a bear tag so absolutely no bear problems were had by us. In fact I could not get a bear to get within 400 yds of me in 5 days and a bunch of deer kills.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I know uganik island must have huge spiders as the brush I went through the more I fought the more stuck I got we decided it must be giant spider webs. I had a bear tag so absolutely no bear problems were had by us. In fact I could not get a bear to get within 400 yds of me in 5 days and a bunch of deer kills.
    funny how that works huh?

Having experienced most of what BRWNBR said having hunted the Rock for over 25 years, 4 times for Bear (i drew 2 permits and killed one and passed on a bigger one the next time) also went with friends with permits, once for Goat (spent 28 hours with the tent blown on top of us )and usually getting all the Deer my family could eat I just had to laugh because I've met guys who hunted it once and vowed NEVER AGAIN.
    We have lost Deer meat a couple times but never while gutting thank the Lord.
    A friend once shot 2 Bucks about 9AM. My offer to help him pack was turned down because "he had all day" I hunted till about 4PM and came back where he killed the Deer only to find he had only gutted the 2nd Deer and draped it over a log.
    I quatered and bagged and was hoofing it to camp when a nice 4x4 peaked over the hill. I unstrapped my pack, knelt on one knee and neck shot it. I quickly cut it up and hung it in the alders with just a couple white bags I had left.
    Next morning first order of business was to retrieve my Deer and get it back to camp. We left rather early so it was just breaking light and I could'nt see the white bags. We waited and soon the birds were alive and working the site. We did find the meat all buried.
    I did go home with all my tags punched but one Deer shy as I figured the lost Deer as one I bagged.
    So, if you don't mind the weather, the alders the brush and all Kodiak throws at you it's a mighty fine place to hunt.