Thread: 9E moose - downhill?

Default 9E moose - downhill?

How has the moose hunting been in 9e? I have heard it has gone downhill quit a bit in the last 5 years? Success was good in the past on good moose.

Thanks, DonV OH

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    How has the moose hunting been in 9e? I have heard it has gone downhill quit a bit in the last 5 years? Success was good in the past on good moose.

Thanks, DonV OH
    here is the contact informaiton t the area biologist who would be able to give you the best answer

Area Offices & Area Biologists

GMU 9, 10
    Lem Butler (lem.butler@alaska.gov)
    ADF&G/Wildlife Conservation
    P.O. Box 37
    King Salmon, AK 99613-0037
    (907) 246-3340 phone
    (907) 246-3309 fax

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...g=info.contact
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Unit 9E, as well as the entire Alaska Peninsula, has definately experienced a reduction in the moose population. Based on my conversations with guide-outfitters working 9E, the big reduction began about 10 years ago (2000+-) and entended through about five years ago (2005+-). Furthermore, looking at trophy/hero pictures from those same guide-outfitters seems to support that it ain't what it used to be. Frankly, I'm mostly sure that the vast majority of Alaskan moose hunting areas ain't what it used to be.
    (Sorry about the negitive tone of this report/contribution...)

I guided down in 9E fall of 2009. Seen 4 good bulls. One I would have considered trophy. Other that that not much sign where I was. The bears keep them on there toes down there.
    Dan
    www.threebearsoutfitters.com

Thanks guys, I have been debating it for a moose hunt. Have or will speak with bio etc, wanted all the input I can get. Moose hunts are not cheap!